Pchealth.inf file missing; Helpctr.exe not working

witteman

All,

I run WindowsXP on a Pentium 3 Laptop with OEM WindowsXP Home edition
I deleted the some Pchealth files by mistake thinking it was an old OE
application and now Help Support does not open anymore. Registry is OK
Can anyone send me the Pchealth.inf file so I can copy this to m
c:/windows/inf/.... directory and right click on the new file t
reinstal pchealth from the cabinet files? or anyone has othe
suggestions? Don't want to loose all my WindowsXP updates so don't wan
to repair or reinstal WindowsXP with my 5 year old OEM CDROM.

Please e-mail to: (e-mail address removed) and/or post your replies here

Thanks

Fran

WTC

witteman said:
All,

I run WindowsXP on a Pentium 3 Laptop with OEM WindowsXP
Home edition. I deleted the some Pchealth files by mistake thinking
it was an old OEM application and now Help Support does not
open anymore. Registry is OK. Can anyone send me the Pchealth.inf
file so I can copy this to my c:/windows/inf/.... directory and right
click on the new file to reinstal pchealth from the cabinet files? or
anyone has other suggestions? Don't want to loose all my
WindowsXP updates so don't want to repair or reinstal WindowsXP
with my 5 year old OEM CDROM.

There should be a copy of the pchealth.inf" file in this folder so you can
copy to the INF folder:

"c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386"

If the folder does not exist then use your Windows XP CD and use the Expand
command in the command prompt:

expand <cdromletter>:\i386\pchealth.in_ %windir%\inf

WTC

witteman said:
Thanks William that is the first direct tip that actually copied the
file from my OEM CDROM (Fujitsu Lifebook). The file ended up in the
c:\windows\inf dir as pchealth.in_ and when I renamed to 'inf' and
installed pchealth it precompiled a file called pchealth.PNF in the
windows\inf directory that is all that happened, still no help
opens....

You DO NOT renamed the file "pchealth.in_", you would expand it because the
file has been compressed. For example, if the file "pchealth.in_" is located
at "f:\i386" and you want to EXPAND the file to c:\windows\inf then you
would use the EXPAND command in the command prompt.

EXPAND f:\i386\pchealth.in_ c:\windows\inf

How to expand Windows XP files from the installation disk
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=888017

witteman

WTC said:
"witteman" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

[...]

opens...

WTC

witteman said:
It looks like I must have deleted a lot more files as the inf (in_)
that I copied from my OEM CDROM cannot find most of the files, what
windows directory should I direct the browse (installer) to? On CDROM
they all have a _ suffix like *.dl_ instead of *.dll so how do I direct
the installer search for *.dll to my CDROM which only has *.dl_ files???

When you are asked for your Windows XP CD, simply insert the Windows XP CD
or point to "c:\windows\servicepackfiles".

You also may need to create a slipstream copy of your Windows XP CD so it
will have Service Pack 2 integrated into the CD.

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

witteman

witteman said:
Thanks William that is the first direct tip that actually copied the
file from my OEM CDROM (Fujitsu Lifebook). The file ended up in the
c:\windows\inf dir as pchealth.in_ and when I renamed to 'inf' and
installed pchealth it precompiled a file called pchealth.PNF in the
windows\inf directory that is all that happened, still no help
opens....

It looks like I must have deleted a lot more files as the inf (in_)
that I copied from my OEM CDROM cannot find most of the files, what
windows directory should I direct the browse (installer) to? On CDROM
they all have a _ suffix like *.dl_ instead of *.dll so how do I direct
the installer search for *.dll to my CDROM which only has *.dl_ files???

WTC

witteman said:
Got it William, I simply copied the whole i386 directory from CDROM to
my C: drive and installed the inf file and......I am up and runing
again.

Thank you for your time and hope I may consult you again sometimes?

Cheers

You're welcome.

witteman

--

[...]