PC wont start

Reaction score
This is my first post, so hopefully I've posted in the correct place.

My PC info:

Mobo: Gigabyte MA790FX DQ6
CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 black edition
VGA: ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2
Ram: 2 x 2GB DDR2 PC 6400
PSU: Enermax 700W

I have recently bought most of the items above except for the PSU, I have installed all the items, however when I turn it on, the system powers up i.e the fans start turning and thats about it, I get no display on the monitor, monitor just displays no signal, however the red LED on the graphics card is lit.

The HDD light on the front of the case just flashes constantly (every second or so) as if the system is standby, I have taken all the bits back out even the CPU to make sure that they are seated correctly, however this makes no difference. It seems like there is power going into the machine but nothing coming out the other end. I have no idea why it is not booting. Do I have enough power?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hiya!
Is it a new HDD?
have you connected the 4pin ATX power?
have you set the BIOS correctly?

Reaction score
What wattage is your existing PSU?

Make sure the jumper is on correct pins and not set for BIOS reset

usually pins 1+2 normal
pins 2+3 reset

Reaction score
Hi,

The wattage for my PSU is 620W not 700W.

The Mobo doesn't have jumper setting for BIOS reset, only to clear the CMOS which is currently set at normal.

It's not a new HDD, but it is a Maxtor Maxline plus II, 250GB, 1.5 GB/s ATA serial SATA drive.

I have connected the 2 x 4 pin and the 2 x 12 pin ATX power supply, they only go in one way, so think they are right.

I am unable to check the BIOS as the system won't start at all, the power I get is to the CPU fan, the fan on the PSU, I can hear the HDD spinning, and the lights on my graphics card are on and fan spinning. When I plug in my DVD drive it continuously tries to reada disc even if there isn't one in the drive. I have tried running the system with just CPU, graphics card and RAM but still the same problem.

I am about to throw it out the window, I think it may be something simple, hopefully not a faulty CPU or MOBO, any more help please.

Ask a Question