PC turns off suddenly with optical mouse light still on and working!

Reaction score
Desktop specs:
PIV 2.4Ghz / MB 850MV / 1GB Ram (4x256mb PC800) / 2x80GB HDD / Nvidia GeForce Ti4200 / with 2 extra fans (intake/outake for the case)
Windows XP SP2 + firewall + Symantec Antivirus with latest updates

Everything was working perfectly until lately I noticed that PC started to turn off at no specific timings or conditions at all. The weirdest thing is when the machine turns off completely, i.e. not lights can come out of the case of any sort, and screen is off too, the optical mouse's light is still on and even weirder it behaves like it's working (light gets stronger when it moves)!
This is a first because before. when pc used to turn off because of a driver problem for example or so, mouse and everything used to be off too...

Then lately, I couldnt even log in to windows. I could only log in safe mode. I thought it could be windows, so I did a fresh install. It worked for a while, for around two weeks.

Then yesterday, it turned off suddenly without any trigger. I managed to log on to safe mode, checked the msconfig, tried to avoid any unecessary entries, and restarted, but this time it started to shut down gradually even earlier. I cant get anymore to the point to do F8 and select safe mode.

Im suspecting this could be the power supply... does it sound like it to you? thanks a lot for helping!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does the PC stay on for longer the first time you turn it on (after its been not used for a few hours) - if so it could be an overheating problem.

The USB mouse lights don't mean anything I'm afraid, USB ports always receive power when your PC is "off" - as new ATX power supples still supple power to things, they just aren't active.

Reaction score
Yeah probably a hardware problem... if it worked fine for 2 weeks then its unlikely to be overheating.

Optical mice usually do act like that - as long as they have power from USB port or PS2, the light will stay illuminated whether the machine is on or not.

Reaction score
Yes I guess I noticed such a pattern. the first time PC turns on it could reach to a farther level then the more I try to restart it shuts down even earlier and earlier..
Should I just buy a new power supply you think? or is there a way to make sure before spilling the money?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, I wouldn't get a new power supply just yet - it does sound like overheating. Try removing your PC case and see if it runs for longer (better airflow). Also, see if there is any dust buildup or anything obstructing the fans.

Does your PC Bios show the temperatures of the CPU etc... in there?

Reaction score
sounds good. I will try out that and see what happens. I dont think I noticed that the Bios provides with the CPU temp, but I will check it out meticulously.

Thanks!

Reaction score
ok it's official! seems like overheating.

I opened the case from both sides, and pointed a strong fan towards it and now it's working fine (so far) I can log in windows normally.

but the weird thing is that everything else inside the case seems to work fine as well.. all fans are ok: power supply, CPU, graphic card, intake/outake fans, etc...

So how could I know where exactly is the problem coming from? I cant find any temp meters inside the BIOS setup, nor those temp measurer utilities seem to recognise my Motherboard or at least my MB doesnt seem to have the temp monitor features. Any thought how can I track the problem down?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, me thinks, but I have been known to be wrong before

Well, looking at what you got 'stuffed' into that little board I wouldn't rule out a PSU 'problem' just yet. RDram (4sticks?), Ti4200, 2 HDs and you must have at least one CDrom drive of some discription AND USB devices ... they ALL suck at your PSU for juice. Is your monitor powered off the PSU?

The 850MV motherboard ain't the best at what it does, and I'm thinking you have a micro version.

A P4 CPU has some nifty overheating controls built-in but I would expect to see other results than just "shutting down" and I'm not sure whether your particular board can 'talk' to the P4 in this way.

PSU's fail ... What PSU do you use?

Reaction score
ok Im so glad we are getting somewhere.
yes Ram is 4 sticks (RD-RAM). I also have a modem/network card/creative Live! sound card and a DVD-RW and a DVD-R drives. However the screen is not loading power from the case.
so you mean all those devices are overloading and thus overheating the PSU? sounds logical.

I dont know exactly the brand or the power of my PSU because it came with the case. So if I am to get a new one, what would you advise the power it should have, now knowing the specs of my pc?

Also it's interesting that you consider the board to be disproportionate with the many devices of the PC. In what sense exactly? and should it be replaced too? and if so, what do you advise in case I want to keep everything else as is (ex. CPU)?

Thx

muckshifter

Reaction score
No, I am not saying your MB is 'disproportionate' but that, and if it is indeed a Micro ATX design, as there are at least 3 MB with that number you quoted, that manufactures churn out these boards and 'cut corners' to save on cost ... that is not to say that it will be any worse or any better, but I would not recommend one. ;)

Download http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.htmlhttp://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.htmlEverest Home Edition, it's free, it will give you a 'Temp' reading if that MB has any sensors ... it will also give you a lot more information on all your components, including exact model of MB.

It is common practice for Case manufactures to supply a cheap, inexpensive PSU with the case ... Hell, even Dell do it ... if you look at the cases us 'toffs' (geeks if you like) use you'll see we buy and recommend using a reliable 'branded', not cheap, PSUs, although you can get some dam good ones for £30. If you paid £15 for the case with PSU, don't expect the PSU to last, or even be acceptable. You don't need a case to run a PC, but it helps to keep all that 'gear' in a nice box.

Every PSU has/should have a sticky label on one side of it ... that’s the info I need.

PC "shutdowns", in general, can be attributed to overheating & PSU going bad ... there are a whole host of other things that can cause a PC to shut down ... but your 'clue' was "no lights" ... it will not hurt to get a decent PSU, and even if that does not 'fix' the problem, at least you'll have a spare. I do. ;)

Use Everest first ... see what it says your temps are ... if indeed they are high, 60/70/80, then you do have an over-heating problem ... if not, come back with some more details of your system.

:thumb:

Reaction score
ok I will download the software and try it out, although I had once an intel utility to gauge the MB's and CPU's temp but said that there are no compatible sensors available.

meanwhile, Im convinced that I should rather get a decent PSU. (and have the current one as backup, sounds reasonable). For one, I couldnt find an informative sticker on the PSU other than the caution one, that without detaching the device from the case.

Say I will be buying a new one anyway, are there any specs I should be going for knowing the specs of my pc? any watts power I should start with or any other standards you advise? (also I forgot to mention that I have a scanner that rely on the USB 2.0 port to draw power from, other than of course the occasional thumb drives and external HDs..)

Reaction score
Everest Rocks!! thanks!

it's amazing. here is the exact MB type: Intel Maryville 2 D850EMV2

and then MB temp is 31C (88F) and CPU is 30C (86F) but that having the fan directed towards the open case. but if I take out the fan and the computer turns off I can never know how much is the actual temp.

Also this PSU is such a babe. I will find out if I can find reasonably priced ones out there.
so basically 480 watts ought to be fine with all what I have, right?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Blimy, your CPU has frostbite ... :D

It is not the CPU 'overheating', not from those temps. :thumb:

And now I know we know the exact MB spec' is, and apart from using stupidly expencive RDram, I do not think it is the MB. Actually a good spect motherboard. :)

I suspect more & more, and as you say the PSU came with the case, to actually be a power problem. The Tagan will be more than enough for you.

If the Tagan does not 'cure' the problem then we will have to look closer ... best I can suggest at the moment.

Reaction score
What a nice thing to know the MB is actually good. which narrows things further down to PSU, which is also great.

Then Tagan it's. I will spot one out there if possible.

As for the CPU, it has the frostbyte only because as I pointed out before it has a big fan directed towards it with the case completely open. I dont know what the temperature would be without having this fan though. Im sure it's much hotter inside there in normal circumstances :blush:)

Reaction score
sorry folks to keep whining.. just a weird observation happened.
I was about to get the PSU as planned -and still am- but the week rolled by and I was extremely busy to find quite one.
So in the weekend I tried again the plagued PC, without taking off the case cover, without the fan, nothing. The weird thing is that the PC worked fine!
As I said earlier Im still getting that PSU, but just wondering what could have happened, or how would you explain it? Thx!

Ask a Question