Optical Mouse Jumps

Reaction score
Does anyone know why a USB optical mouse just randomly jumps around whenever it feels like it? I have tried two different mice on the same PC with the same results. Both of these mice work just fine on two other PCs. The bad PC is running Win XP Home (up to date). I have gone into control panel and do not see any options that even resemble solving the problem being seen.

Obviously this is a disaster when editing video and all of sudden it deletes the wrong clip because it jumped all of a sudden. The mice are good. Can it be something wrong with the USB on this PC? No other USB problems have shown up. It is a ASUS P5B utilizing dual core Intel 6600 running at 2.4ghz, and 2Gb RAM.

Reaction score
Have you anything near the PC that is interfering IE: table lamp/radio Etc:?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
what is the mouse ??

A wireless mouse is an RF device that operates at 27 MHz and has a range of about 6 feet (2 meters). Multiple RFs in one room can result in cross-talk, which means that the receiver can inadvertently pick up the transmissions from the wrong device.

err, that is if you are using a wireless mouse.

user.gif

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
check that there is no hair or fluff on the bottom of the mouse and also i have found that a mouse mat with different colours on it can sometimes cause jumps

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
A wireless mouse is an RF device that operates at 27 MHz and has a range of about 6 feet (2 meters). Multiple RFs in one room can result in cross-talk, which means that the receiver can inadvertently pick up the transmissions from the wrong device.

err, that is if you are using a wireless mouse.

user.gif

Come on now mucks! glasses on please;)

Does anyone know why a USB optical mouse just randomly

Reaction score
I have had quite a number of people with the same problem?

And 9 out of 10 I found a disturbance caused by electrical interference??

From a table lamp> a video camera etc check and see if there are any such objects near the PC;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
huh?

itsme said:
Come on now mucks! glasses on please;)
What the heck has that got to do with it ??

USB mice can be wired or wireless, optical with/without balls ... :rolleyes:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
What the heck has that got to do with it ??

USB mice can be wired or wireless, optical with/without balls ... :rolleyes:

Oh me is a naughty boy sorry mucks:blush: I go put my glasses on:D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Try a different mouse mat or even a piece of plain white paper, see if it still does it. :)

Ask a Question