PC Review Update!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Its been a busy few weeks behind the scenes here, I have been coding a new design for the site for quite a while now. The site template is very similar, so everything should remain familiar - but the "backend" is very much upgraded (more stable, FASTER and generally better). None of the old reviews, information, text or gallery images will be lost - it is all transferred.

The main list of improvements so far includes:
  • New Gallery Software - Much more reliable, easier to use and allows comments for each photo.
  • Upgraded vBulletin Forum - The forums are currently running on a year old version of the popular vBulletin forum, this is now upgraded to the latest version
  • CSS Design - This is a new way of coding the HTML for the site, but will provide MUCH improved loading times for all users, and 100% IE/Opera/FireFox compatibility.
  • New Retailer Ratings - The current retailer ratings are quite inflexible, the new version features a forum for each retailer - along with ways to rate different aspects of the retailers performance. Retailers may have representation in the forum to help solve your problems. Also includes helpful information on how to deal with retailers.
  • User Ratings - There are plenty of for sale/trade threads, so this is a way of an e-bay like user feedback system.
  • Frequent News Updates - A better digest of the days news on the front page, much more frequently updated.
  • Advanced Article System - This system will allow for better commenting on articles, more information such as pricing/urls/availability can be provided within the article system.
  • For Sale/Trade Forum - This will be a way for users to buy and sell items over the forums with each other. This will be integrated with the user ratings system.
  • User Friendly URLs - Easy to remember URLs for reviews and site features.
Currently Underway: (within the couple of days)
  • Improved Arcade - More arcade games with and a slight software upgrade.
Under Consideration: (possibilities)

These ideas are modules being considered for inclusion on the site - the main criteria being if they would be useful! If you would use one of these modules, please let me know and I will consider which ones to include.
  • User Rigs - A system to show off your own PC with photos and and your own space for text. Similar to a mini webpage to show off your creation.
  • Spell Checking - This has proved very hard to integrate into the forums, but is still under testing for inclusion at a later date if not available at launch.
If you have any more ideas for something that you think would be of benefit to the site, please include it in this news discussion thread. It can be anything from site "features" to little things like "more smilies!".

The site launch will be before the end of the month, so please let me know if you have any ideas before this date.

Reaction score
VERY well done to you Ian - it looks like you have put alot of time and work into this :)

I especially like the sound of the Buy and Sell section, and the User Rigs bit :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you both like it :D

I'm going to get a better demo up soon, just waiting for a bit of software to be released so I can continue the articles section (due on the 21st apparently!).

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Excellent! :)

I particularly like the idea of integrating the Buy/Sell section, the only thing I am worried about is the user rating bit as it is prone to abuse. I am not sure how it will work so cannot say any more.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quad, respectfully, many systems are open to abuse. User rating is not like, say, a Karma system, people tend to take it a little more seriously.

One has to have a little faith in human nature, we can't be wrapped up in cotton wool all the time.

My Hexus rating formerly in my sig, that goes back six years or so, the majority of input from people who are complete strangers to me, both on the web and in real life. They're all positive, cos I kept my side of the deal and only sold good stuff.

I think it unlikely such a system could be abused but if it were, well, that's what we're here for, any reports of misrepresentation would be investigated, a decision made, and the situation remedied.

Not foolproof, I grant you, but as I say, we have to let common sense reign and just hope for the best, sometimes.

Reaction score
It would be alot like the eBay feedback system - no-one would want negative so wouldn't abuse it.

i think 50 posts should be needed to be able to buy and sell - anyone that sticks around that long wont, or would be VERY stupid to abuse it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
It would be alot like the eBay feedback system - no-one would want negative so wouldn't abuse it.

i think 50 posts should be needed to be able to buy and sell - anyone that sticks around that long wont, or would be VERY stupid to abuse it.
Agreed, otherwise we'd have peeps coming here just to sell stuff, one post, never to be seen again. And 50 posts will build a character profile, prospective purchasers will have a good idea from their posts whether to trust them or not.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
50 posts min it is then - I know Hexus and a few other places have a 50 post min, and it works pretty well.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

I cannot add to anything you said and you said it well :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Site is hopefully ready to launch this weekend (if the testing goes well), if not, it won't be long after!

Chris Imrie has kindly offered some hosting accounts which we'll be giving away on the main page in a new post - more to come on that at the launch!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Last chance if anyone has any ideas for additions for the site ;) I'm just getting rid of all the bugs at the moment (plenty still left, but getting them down one by one!).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Last chance if anyone has any ideas for additions for the site ;) I'm just getting rid of all the bugs at the moment (plenty still left, but getting them down one by one!).
Auto Server Back-up

;) :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
bigger attachment limit for attaching photos etc :)
Chris ... Ian has to pay. ;)

use a smaller pic

Ask a Question