PC reboots when switch lights or ceiling fan on/off

Reaction score
Hi wizards,

I was flabbergasted when I discover this particular issue on the forum.
I exactly have the same problem.

I am using HT Pentium 3.2GHz and 3GB RAM with Windows2000 SP4 OS.

1. When I switch the lights on/off in my room, the PC which is plug to the socket directly below
reboots.
2. When I switch the ceiling fan on/off in my room, the PC reboots.
3.When I plug-in any usb accessories such as external HD to the usb port behind the PC,the PC
reboots.I get a BSOD memory dump starts to take place.

This did not happen in the past but I don't know.Could be because recently I plugged in an usb
wifi adapter at the front usb port of my PC(desktop).

Any help..much appreciated

Devan

Reaction score
When did you first notice this problem?
Have you had any electrical work done recently?
Suggest you may want to get someone to look at your electical supply?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Does this USB device have it's own power source? Sounds like a power supply that is unstable. Adding or removing a load on a circut causes a flush of energy that can cause a power supply to drop below what is necessary to run a PC. A way to test this is to remove things that draw power and test with the same symptom devices.

Remove extra hard drives and optical drives. If you have a video card that requires an external source, remove the card and use something simpler like onboard video or a card that does not require the power source. If you run two cards, remove one. Remove USB devices that do not have additional power supplies. Laptop hard drives are an example. A desktop USB drive has an additional power source and should not matter much, but you can disconnect for testing purposes. Try removing loads from the circuits on which the computer is connected. Usually many plugs in a single room will be on the same supply circuit. Remove lamps and anything else connected to the circuit and try again.

Chances are, your power supply is shot. This will help narrow it down.

Ask a Question