PC shuts off, then back on

Reaction score
Most times I switch my PC on, it switches off, then it comes back on. When this happens, the time and floppy disk is back to default. I don't have a floppy disk drive, which I always have to disable it and also put the time, date etc correctly.

Last time this happened I changed the coin battery on the motherboard, which worked. I've tried putting a new one, but still the same problem occurs.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
It would help if you gave us the make/model of your motherboard.

There should be a CMOS reset option on your motherbaord - usually by touching 2 pins or moving a jumper located near to the CMOS battery which you have replaced.

MAKE sure the PC has no power, and touch the relevant pins together with a screwdriver, or move the jumper depending on which - or if your not confident doing that, try removing the battery again and leaving out for a couple of minutes, then replace and reboot.

Not sure what you mean about the Floppy Disk 'going back to default'??

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Not sure what you mean about the Floppy Disk 'going back to default'??

I think bmwm3csl means the floppy bios option going back to default, i.e. that there is a 1.44MB floppy drive installed (when in fact there isn't one connected). :thumb:

I've had the same problem before and it was the CMOS battery, so I would have thought changing it with a working battery would have done the trick.

Like Ady says, try resetting the BIOS. If that doesn't work then maybe a re-flash to a newer BIOS would do the trick (might be worth a shot)? :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha Ian - then disabling in the bios once its working will do the trick.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ah, a cheap chinese socket 478 jobby - if you ever need Bios/Drivers in the future, you can find them HERE :thumb:

Ask a Question