Switch-off sequence for switches

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm going to ask a really dumb-sounding question, but when you want to shut-down your PC fully, a right-at-the-wall kind of shut-down, what is the correct sequence please? (I mean the hardware aspect of shutting down.)

I have at last set-up (and briefly fired-up the new PC) but I'm just a bit thrown by having TWO switches on the tower, plus a monitor (BenQ which also has it's own power switch, of course.) I have no problem at all going through the shut-down process that happens on-screen... but if I want to close down completely, do I click the front button and then the rear switch on the tower, before unplugging at the wall? Or is the on-screen bit sufficient, so that I only need to pull the plug? And should the monitor be switched off first, or last.... does it matter...? .....mutter mutter...didn't have this dilemma with laptops...mutter
wallbash.gif

As I said, I realize how this question must sound,:blush: but I've looked through my books, checked around on the internet, etc., and cannot find an answer, but I really would like to know this absolutely basic bit, before I can fully concentrate on exploring the wonders of Vista..... and the new PC, which I'm champing at the bit to do.

Thanks very much for reading, I appreciate it.
nod.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just shut down the pc via windows, then turn off the monitor. If you want to completely switch it off, when its shut down flick the switch on the psu (Where you plug in the mains lead) and then off at the wall. :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i hit shutdown, turn off the monitor and speakers then walk away, i never bother to unplug it or turn it off at the wall etc

is there any reason for wanting to do so ?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
V_R said:
Just shut down the pc via windows, then turn off the monitor. If you want to completely switch it off, when its shut down flick the switch on the psu (Where you plug in the mains lead) and then off at the wall. :)

Oh thank you V_R, that is really helpful, and much appreciated :thumb:

ME__2001 said:
is there any reason for wanting to do so ?

We usually like to shut-down during electrical storms, also if I need to un-plug to move stuff around - which I'm doing a lot at the moment, trying to get the desk arranged "just right" :rolleyes: ideally, we need a bit more space here :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
oh ok, when my system is off i just unplug it from the wall like any other device. don't bother with the switch on the PSU just the one on the wall

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, not a lotta point in switching off PSU if it's unplugged/unswitched at the wall, just be making extra work for yourself.

Shut down from windows; turn off monitor; flick wall switch or unplug.

That be it.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Lol, looks like i am just pedantic then!!
laughingsmiley.gif

I blame it on the asus logo thats blue when the pcs off but plugged in. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies guys, I appreciate them.

I had a pretty blue Asus glow too V_R, which was a bit troubling, because I felt that a current must still be present... and I didn't want to risk frying anything at this early stage
laughingsmiley.gif
It's just that I'm not used to it yet so felt it was probably best to seek the opinions of those who do know what they're talking about
nod.gif

I'm grateful, thanks again :D

Ask a Question