PC Option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello! Newbie looking for help.

Anyone used PC Option? A good or bad experience? They look a bit too good to be true, which worries me! www.pcoption.co.uk

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a retailer for a package to include the following:

3Gb processor
512Mb RAM
80Gb HDD
128Gb Graphics
DVD RW
17" TFT

We have around £500 to play with.

Thanks in advance for replies and advice.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are pcoption local to you, or have you just found them on the net? I'd only usually suggest smaller firms if they are local - from what I can see they aren't operating from a big unit, it may even be a house (by looking at their contact details). However, if they are local call in and see what they are like :)

You could easily beat those specs/price with Dell or another supplier, so its worth shopping around :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The prices look ok for what you're getting ... a "cheap" PC ... Dell do them too. :rolleyes:

I don't read too far if I cannot see, or ascertain, what motherboard they are using ... and I certainly move on when I see "Integrated Graphics" being listed. ;)

Look for at least ...
3GHz processor ... AMD advocate here, but Inthell will do.
1024Mb RAM ... do not accept any less
80Gb HDD ... really is a bear min spec, but I would expect to see over 120Gb for todays PC
128Gb Graphics ... will do, BUT not Integrated Graphics and I would like a 256 / 6600 or the like.
DVD RW ... Dual-Layer are a standard these days.
17" TFT ... good ones still ain't cheap.

... and you should get that for around £500-600. ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks for replies so far.

PC Option are not local to me. I saw a recommendation for them on another forum, but I'm unlikely to take the advice of just that 1 person to buy something from a company that no-one else seems to have heard of!

The Dell Dimension 3100 seems to be the closest match for our requirements. Can anyone concur or suggest otherwise?

Last edited:
Reaction score
PC Option are not local to me. I saw a recommendation for them on another forum, but I'm unlikely to take the advice of just that 1 person to buy something from a company that no-one else seems to have heard of!

Sounds odd to me..... Just the one recomendation?

and the graphics on this are integrated (to which muckshifter said 'stay away!'). Where am I going wrong?
He is correct and a master:thumb:

Just a suggestion are you able to build your own???

Reaction score
Have a look here;)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=95739

Mucks will check it out dont worry
laughingsmiley.gif

Features-
  • Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
  • CPU Socket Type: 939Pin
  • CPU Cache Memory: 512/1000
  • Memory: 512MB DDR expandable to 2GB.
  • Memory Type: DDR 400
  • 256Mb nVidia GeForce 6600 PCI Express Graphics Card, TVO, DVI
  • Disk: 160GB
  • HDD Interface: SATA
  • HDD Speed 7200
  • DVD-RW: 16X Dual and Double layer
  • Chipset: Nvidia nForce4
  • Audio on board: AC97 (5.1)
  • Onboard LAN 10/100
  • Maximum Onboard VGA Memory: N/A
  • 9 in 1 memory card reader
  • Multimedia Keyboard
  • Optical Mouse
  • 2 Stereo Speakers USB
  • Warranty: 1 year collect and return
Ports & Slots
  • Number of Serial Ports 1
  • PCI Slots: 2 x PCI, 1 x PCI-E
  • Number of Parallel Ports 1
  • Number of USB ports Front 2
  • Number of USB Ports Rear 2
  • Graphics Expansion Slot: PCIE
  • Number of PS2 ports 2
Software Included
  • Microsoft Windows XP Home
  • Norton AntiVirus 2005
  • Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0
  • Cyberlink Power DVD for DVD
  • NTI CD-Maker Gold for CD-RW / Combo / DVD burner
Dimensions and Weight
  • Dimension : 180 (W) x 360 (H) x 420 (D) mm
  • Average Weight: 15kg
  • Floppy drive not included
£465.28 Inclusive

Last edited:
Reaction score
I really want to avoid the DIY route if at all possible. I'm not capable of putting it together myself, and whilst my darling beloved is convinced that he can master anything in moments... in reality he does a 90% job in 18 months!

I'd be happy buying from Dell, but every time I move from one page to another on their site, the price seems to go up! (Plus all the machine sin my price range seem to have integrated graphics, which I have been told is a no-no!:) ) I have heard that their customer service by phone is good, so I might just ring up and see what they can do.

I've looked at Ebuyer already, not sure why I dismissed that one! I'll check it out now.

Thanks guys!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Clair, you ain't doing anything wrong ... in fact you are going about it the right way by asking questions.

Ask as many as you like. :thumb:

Here is another suggestion ...
Athlon 64 939 3500+ B/U:
MIDI ATX (400W) Case
ASUS A8N-E
Athlon 64 939 3500+ CPU
1024Mb DDR400
200Gb 7200 8Mb HDD
3.5" Floppy Drive
256Mb DDR Geforce 6600
int. 6ch Snd, 10/100, usb 2.0
16x +/- D.L. DVD Writer
56K Modem

£500

... again, as with itsme's offering there is no monitor or software, but at least you can see what to expect for your money.

:thumb:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Hi Clair, welcome to PC Review.:thumb:

I see you are being well looked after by the boys so I won't interfere ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance.

Going against the advice given here, I do think that 256 graphics is a bit over-the-top for our needs, and 512 memory will be fine. Our current PC was purchased when other half first went to uni - in 1997! - so any new machine will be like the invention of the wheel for us!:lol:

We surf the net a lot, download the odd music track, and use MS Office, Photoshop & AutoCAD. This has all been fine on our current (old!) machine, but it's definitely time for an upgrade.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
AutoCAD and photoshop love RAM (my system gets a bit sluggish when using them and i have 1GB of the stuff)

i agree with all of what the others have said, you really need a dedicated graphics card a 128MB one should be adequate for what you do

if your looking at dell then i think the best you will do is about £650

Reaction score
With regards to PCoption.co.uk, go for it, I have bought from them and they are great, reasonable quick, very communicative, very helpful, good value and they use good parts :)

Reaction score
jaz9090 said:
With regards to PCoption.co.uk, go for it, I have bought from them and they are great, reasonable quick, very communicative, very helpful, good value and they use good parts :)
You are answering a thread that is 8 months old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question