Laptop Value

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at selling my Novatech L5511 laptop. The screen has a line going down the right side of it. Also the screen latch is stiff that opens the lid. Apart from that the laptop is in good working order.

I would be grateful if somone could let me know the price that I could get for selling this?

Thanks

It has the following specs in it:

Display 15.4" WXGA LCD Display 1280 X 800

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50ghz

Graphics Intel 965 Express Chipset Family.

Chipset Intel Crestline GM965 & ICH8M

Memory Support (2) DDR2 677 SODIMM 4GB total

Hard Drive 120GB 2.5"/9.5mm 5400rpm HDD

Optical Drive CD-RW/DVD Combo (Optional)

DVD+-/+-RW (Optional)

DVD Dual Double Layer(Optional)

Audio System Azalia Audio in High Definition

Support Digital S/PDIF output

Azalia standard support

Two stereo speakers

Connectivity 10/100 LAN
56K V.92 Modem
802.11 A/B/G/N MiniCard (optional)
4-in-1 Media Card Reader: SD, MMC, MS, MSPro

Operating System Windows XP Home SP3

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That line on the screen devalues it greatly, I wouldn't buy it myself.

Is it a software or hardware problem? Any way you can find out?

It may be worth reinstalling XP to see if the line disappears but I suspect it's a hardware fault unfortunately.

Sorry to say this but once a laptop has a hardware display problem it becomes almost worthless.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
That line on the screen devalues it greatly, I wouldn't buy it myself.

Is it a software or hardware problem? Any way you can find out?

It may be worth reinstalling XP to see if the line disappears but I suspect it's a hardware fault unfortunately.

Sorry to say this but once a laptop has a hardware display problem it becomes almost worthless.

Hi Flopps

Thanks for your reply

Unfortunately it is a hardware issue I have reinstalled XP and it made no difference. Could this be casued by the cable that connects the screen to the motherboard?

Reaction score
captain zed said:
I dissected a fujitsu siemens lapper a while ago .....would the screen do yours??

Hi Zed

Thanks for your reply

Is the screen the same one that I listed above? I am not sure if you can use different screens from different manufactures are these chaises depended like motherboards?

Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you take a photo of the screen problem Wiz, as it may be something that you can fix. The laptop is worth much, much less because of this.

It could just be that you need to re-seat the display cable. Does the problem appear as soon as you turn the laptop on?

Reaction score
Hi guys

Thanks for you replies.

I looked at getting this repaired yesterday contacted Novatech who wanted £60 just to inspect the unit and then they said parts and labour would be on top, they also said that it would have to be sent a way to their suppliers in europe.

I have attached picture of the problem its acutally a block that goes down the right side of the screen, if I press the casing at the back of the screen it wil get worse or almost go away. Would this suggest that it could be a loose cable?

http://img36.imageshack.us/i/1002622k.jpg/

Thanks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If physical pressure is influencing the fault then it's a mechanical thing.

As you rightly diagnosed most likely fault is a loose or fractured ribbon cable.

But not neccessarily, could be the screen itself.

This is a common fault with laptops as the cable is stressed each time the computer is opened or closed.

Considering all you want to do is sell it I'd say a professional repair is uneconomical.

But as you have little to lose I'd say if you feel confident it would be worth opening up the machine and checking to see if connecting cable is pushed firmly home.

But laptops are extremely fiddly to work on with screws seemingly hiding from you in the most unlikely places, underneath stick-on feet is a favourite place, for instance.

Also, I'd guess the cable is more likely to be fractured than dislocated but as I said, you have little to lose.

Good luck.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm with Flops... you're not going to get much for the laptop in this condition (which is decent enough spec), so you may as well have a go at fixing it yourself if you feel confident enough.

If pressure fixes things then there's a chance you'll be able to sort it somehow, although if it is a cable/ribbon fracture then things would be a bit harder.

Ask a Question