"Alex" the "easy" computer

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Specially designed for the "techno-phobes" out there, a new simple-to-use laptop has been launched, called "Alex." Read more here.

As part of your alex package you'll receive a 15" widescreen laptop with the following technical specification...

Clevo M760T Laptop
CPU Intel® Celeron processor T1600
Core logic Intel® GM45 + ICH9M
Display 15.4” WXGA (1280X800) TFT LCD
Memory 1Gb RAM
Video controller Intel GMA 4500MHD
Storage 120Gb Hard disk drive
Built-in 10/100/1000 MB Base-TX Ethernet LAN
Wireless LAN AzureWave – AW –GU701
1.3M pixels Video camera with USB interface
6 cells Smart Lithium-Ion battery pack 4000mAh /
DVD+/-RW

http://www.welcometoalex.com/page/laptop.cfm
It might be just the thing to encourage "computer-resistant" folk to overcome their lack of confidence and give it a go. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I seen adverts for this for a few weeks now but decided not to post.

£400 for a low spec laptop plus £10 a month if you have broadband or £25 a month to include broadband. Seems like a poor deal to me.

If a coup;le of us here put our heads together we could come up with a superior package at a lower cost to the customer.

nod.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd love to get my grandad or Becky's grandparents online. There are some cheap netbooks that are easy to use (similar to this) and don't cost very much (although the small screen could be a problem). However, I can't seem to be able to convince them.

My Grandad is well in to his 80's and uses e-mail via his TV, and loves ebay when he visits someone with a PC... but isn't interested in one for himself. I'm sure he'd love it if he gave it a shot, but I can't imagine him changing his mind now.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well these folk ought to help inspire quite a few of the reluctant grans and grandads out there:

On 2 February‚ supported by BT‚ we revealed our new Internet Champions for 2010 at the Ritz Hotel in London.

Martha Lane Fox‚ the Government’s Digital Inclusion Champion‚ officially announced that Lucy Berry‚ 80‚ and Frederick Briggs‚ 72‚ will help to inspire the 6.4 million older people who have never used the internet to get online‚ showing that it's easy to enjoy the many benefits it has to offer. The runners up were Mary Elliott‚ 81‚ and Eve Weston‚ 87 - congratulations to all!
Source: Age Concern Org

Ask a Question