PC Locks-Up and Reboots

Reaction score
I've had my machine since last week and it's largely been sublime, however there are some niggly issues. When playing Company of Heroes and Call of Duty 4 I've either had the machine freeze or lock-up with sound playing in continuous loop. Or the machine will suddenly reboot itself. COH so far hasn't displayed problems since I lowered the graphics settings to high (rather than ultra).

I thought it may have been my GFX drivers, so I uninstalled the old ones and downloaded the very latest from Nvidia, however the problem hasn't gone away. The only thing I can think of is that either the PSU is at fault (although surely it's more than adequate?!), the RAM is dodgy or the GFXs are overheating. I placed my temperature sensors near each component - CPU reads between 37C (idle) - 42C (when playing games), HDD is 26/27C and GFXs 32C-36C.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers

P.s When my machines posts, I only get the Republic of Gamers logo followed by brief text that says "Nvidia memory controller....no drive detected". Then it simply loads into Vista, without the usual memory test, CPU check etc at POST - is that normal for new motherboards? I updated the BIOS to the latest version too which didn't change the POST startup.

Reaction score
From the PS it sounds as if you are putting Vista into standby or hibernation. I have no idea whather that will cause any of the other effects.

Ask a Question