PC rebooting problem

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am trying to help a friend fix a Packard Bell iXtreme M5722 desktop pc that reboots itself intermittently. The pc is 15 months old and out of warranty. The rebooting problem has progressively become worse to a point where it often reboots within a minute of turning the machine on from cold.

Spec as follows:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 2.50 GHz
6.00 GB DDR2 RAM
Vista 64 bit OS

I have disconnected all non essential components including video card and hard disk and used onboard video but the rebooting issue persists even from the bios. CPU temps are fine within bios, usually sub 30 degrees. I have tried a brand new 500W power supply with a single stick of DDR2 memory to no avail. I have reset the bios but don't dare update it due to the rebooting issue.

Kind of leaves me thinking CPU or Mainboard, but since I have no spares - which one should I go out and buy first? or do I just bite the bullet and purchase both??

Any feedback or advice would be welcome!

Reaction score
I have disabled the Windows Protection tonight and it rebooted automatically 2 minutes later!

Think I'm going to try and find a like for like mainboard replacement - will report back with my findings.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
If it reboots in the BIOS, system board most likely would be the culprit. I would take this as an opportunity to upgrade your system if possible.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A month on and after some hardware replacements the pc appears to be running well again.

I started with a new 750W power supply replacement, the pc still automatically rebooted but only after much longer periods.

I then went ahead and replaced the mainboard which cured the spontaneous rebooting completely.

After a number of hours though, the pc would become sluggish and audio would crackle. So I reinstalled windows (clean install) but the problem persisted. Replacing the hard disk appears to have fixed this issue and the pc now seems to be free from any problems.

Thanks for all previous feedback. :thumb:

Ask a Question