Family pooters

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My Mum turned 80 last April and figured she didn't want or need her computer anymore and offered it to me. I suggested that as I was actually quite ok in the computer dept perhaps my sister would apreciate it more.

So I got the machine, messed with the software a bit and delivered it to my sister where she's now using it on a daily basis.

It's quite an old machine, socket 939 Asrock Dual SATA 2, but it was still an improvement on her old machine.

I brought my sister's old machine home, swiped the CDRW drive when my Plextor drive packed up and thought I'd break it down for spare parts.

Then I looked at it and though I'd try and make a working machine from it.

The OS, Win XP, was crippled to a crawl with two viruses that I later found originated from two pictures my sister's 13-year-old daughter had downloaded from a friend on Facebook. I hooked the drive up to another machine via a caddy and pulled all relevant stuff off of it and saved to a couple of DVD's.

I then found out the monitor was faulty. The display lit up but no picture info. It was a crappy old square 15" so I took the switched mode PSU out and dumped the rest.

Also faulty were the DVD-ROM drive, floppy disk drive and the CMOS battery.

I had a DVD-RW drive and a DVD-ROM drive spare but they were silver so I sprayed the front fascia's to match the matt black generic case and fitted the two optical drives. I had a spare black floppy disk drive, fitted that, and then fitted a CMOS battery, I have quite a few of those spare in my junk pile.

The video card's fan was extremely noisy so I replaced that with a spare one I'd kept from a failed card.

Re-fitted the CPU heatsink (looks like a thermalright) with some Arctic Silver and fitted an 80mm Pabst fan I had spare that was quieter and also faster than the one it replaced.

Fitted a quiet Zalman 80mm fan to rear of case to exhaust heat.

Also had a spare wireless NIC card - a Linksys WMP54G so fitted that and connected to my router ok.

This machine had two 256Mb sticks of PC3200 RAM @ 333Mhz. I had a spare PC3200 512Mb stick @ 400Mhz so fitted that and now have a gig of memory. As I only used 3 slots out of four it means I lost the dual memory function but I think twice as much memory outweighs that minor disadvantage.

Here's the base system as it is now, installed with Win XP:

Black generic case
Jeantech 350 watt PSU
Gigabyte GA7N400 Pro 2 motherboard
AMD Socket A single core 1.1Ghz CPU
1Gb memory
Nvidia 5700LE video card, 128Mb RAM
DVDRW Drive
DVD-ROM drive
Floppy disk drive
Maxtor 40Gb IDE HDD
Linksys WMP54G Wireless NIC Card

Not the fastest machine in the world but still quite respectable and a fine workhorse for anybody just wanting net access and office.

I needed some software to monitor the CPU temp so from V_R's forum list of software I chose Core Temp 32 Bit and tried it. It didn't work, perhaps it doesn't like older machines. So I installed Speedfan which works fine and current CPU temp is 36C, which is fine.

So there you go, a revived machine and it hasn't cost me a penny so far, it pays to keep spare parts.

But - I don't need it, lol, so unless I can find a friend or relative who needs such a machine it'll go down the lockup until I find a use for it.

Next up, I'm going to try and install Windows 95 to the socket A machine that I do use on a seperate hard disk in a removable caddy.

To install Win 95 I only have an upgrade disk so I may have to install Win 3.1 from floppies first but I'm hoping the Win 95 CD will only ask for proof and I have to show it the first 3.1 floppy.

Why install Win 95? Is that perverse? Nope, I just fancy running the game Little Big Adventure 2 and it will only run in Win 95. I have a funny feeling something won't work though, we shall see.

Reaction score
Yeah ive come a few machines like that mate

I at times try give them away to charity shops but a lot wont accept them because they have no operating system on.

I dunno try do someone a favour huh.....

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Win 95 installed..I do admire your pluckiness Mr Flopp's! :D Just for the one game...Mind if you've got it, flaunt it!
laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"switched mode PSU" whats one of them then when its at home.

Fine rescue there, now all it needs is something like Puppy as an os and you'll have a right speedy little winner there.
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:

Basically, a transformer-less PSU, voltage rails are obtained and stabilised via a set of passive components and semiconductors.

Mostly used in televisions from around 1979.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Basically, a transformer-less PSU, voltage rails are obtained and stabilised via a set of passive components and semiconductors.

Mostly used in televisions from around 1979.

Ah ha. Ta. What would one use one for then. :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Yeah ive come a few machines like that mate

I at times try give them away to charity shops but a lot wont accept them because they have no operating system on.

I dunno try do someone a favour huh.....
D'oh. Good penguinputers for everyday "basic" use.

I'm typing this message with my state-of-the-art-lappy (it was dumpster bound, but I gave it TLC and a new home):

HP Pavilion ze4407EA
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Mobile AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (@1GHz)
Radeon Mobility U1 graphics (64Mb shared memory)
2x512Mb PC2100 (266MHz) RAM
30Gb IDE HD
CDRW/DVDR

Worky like a champignon. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:

Fine rescue there, now all it needs is something like Puppy as an os and you'll have a right speedy little winner there.
laughingsmiley.gif

It did occur to me that this machine would be an ideal candidate for a Linux OS, it would fly.

I'm still using Linux Mint on an almost daily basis but must admit that I still consider it flawed compared to Windows, sad to say. Mostly through not finding software to do the things that windows-compatible software does.

But.

I'm lazy.

I still haven't given up and for the first time I feel Linux is actually a viable OS I can use each day.

But I don't like head games getting stuff to work, I just want to install software and for it to work, is all.

Still, all in all, I guess 7 out of 10 and in this neighbourhood there's more positive than negative vibes flowing towards Mint. A lot more.

This is a good thing :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A person can use a switched mode PSU the same as any other PSU. If I have a home built preamp circuit that needs a +/- 12 volts and the switch mode is giving those rails at, say, 0.5A, then it will do the job. Saving money.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Before I went to bed yesterday evening I overclocked this ageing beastie a little, just upped the fsb slightly.

It's now running stable at 1.3Ghz with a CPU temp of 38C (it was 36C running at 1.1Ghz).

That's better :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Before I went to bed yesterday evening I overclocked this ageing beastie a little, just upped the fsb slightly.

It's now running stable at 1.3Ghz with a CPU temp of 38C (it was 36C running at 1.1Ghz).

That's better :)

Ooooh you naughty boy! (smacks hand) :D

Ask a Question