PC Build Recommendations

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Very true for your average user...But...

There could be issues with Oracle...And whatever SQL Izzop is using, although if he were more specific it could help....:p

As the guy mentioned purchasing Vista Buisiness and Windows 7 is basicaly a revamped better version of Vista which according to Microsoft has the capability to run XP in virtual mode for backwards compatability I rather think my humble opinion was pretty dammned sound. :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Update on the Asus card, there have been two drivers issued by Asus since I last upgraded, one issued in March and a very small driver issued 6 days ago.

I have applied them, I'll post back in the next few days after playing Oblivion for a couple of hours and seeing if it crashes or not.

I may also reinstall Fallout 3 and see how that behaves.

Reaction score
Hi,

A big thamks to everyone who has taken the time to look at and advised on this post, much appreciated :thumb:

Having taken on board all your thoughs and suggestions I've come up with the following: -

attachment.php

A question I do have is, have I added all the necessary cables? What cables do I need for the Graphics card, or will the be supplied?

Have I missed anything?

Also, what would be the normal build time for the above?

Once again thanks for all your help and advice to date!

Regards,

Andrew

Attachments

• PC Draft 1.JPG
    PC Draft 1.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 123
Reaction score
Hi,

All looks good to me. :thumb:

You will get SATA cables in the box with the motherboard to connect the hdd and optical drive to the motherboard. And the PSU will have SATA power cables connections from it so you can power the devices. You can buy the extra cables if you want its always handy to have some spare anyway I do.

GFX Card cables.

The cables for the GFX card are included in the box with the card. The PSU will have the correct power connectors for the GFX card these are PCIE cables.

I think you have included everything not missed anything out. Its hard to say how long it will take you to build it on average I would say maybe 4hours? It takes a bet longer when you do your first build but when you have done a few you will be building them within an hour or so.

That is a very nice build you have there, and I am sure you will be very happy with it.

Good luck with your build, and post on here if you need any help. I or one of the other forum members will be happy to help you. :thumb:

Edit I have noticed that you have added the Creative Blaster Titanuim did you mean to add the gamer verison instead?

Regards

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You don't need the cables.

The motherboard will have several SATA cables and the power supply will have lots of SATA power connectors.

The rest of it is looking good.

One other thing, you'll be paying over the odds for the overclocked CPU, you could probably overclock it yourself, but if you're happy with it, go for it.

Reaction score
Thanks again to you both..

wizkid - Edit I have noticed that you have added the Creative Blaster Titanuim did you mean to add the gamer verison instead?

No, I did mean to add the Titanium, just appeared to be the better of the two, or is it over kill?

floppybootstomp - One other thing, you'll be paying over the odds for the overclocked CPU, you could probably overclock it yourself, but if you're happy with it, go for it.

Mmmmm... Interesting. I would like to bring the cost down a bit if I could, but seeing as this is my first ever build and I've never overclocked a PC I'm not sure if doing it myself would be wise?

I'll see if I can find those bundle components seperately and see how this effects the price. I presume the chosen CPU is ok?

In the bundle what have they thrown in for the cooler, I couldn't make it out?

I've just gone through the bundle and priced it up individualy and it comes out at £525.20, so for having the CPU already overclocked doesn't seem to bad for the extra £15?

Regards,

Andrew

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's a fine chip you've chosen. Best value i7 at the moment.

Have a look at This thread here it's an i7 build I done recently which is quite similar to what you're putting together.

Reaction score
Just looking at the thread on the build you did. I notice that you listed a 'Noctua 120mm 1200rpm fan for side of case £13.79'

On my config, do I require additional cooling or fans?

Regards,

Andrew

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No, you don't really need any more fans, the Antec 902 comes with 4 good fans.

You have an option to add two more 120mm fans, one in the side panel and one internal blowing to the exhaust fans at the rear.

Imo you don't need the internal fan but a fan mounted in the side panel will really be beneficial in keeping your graphics card cool.

I thoroughly recommend the Noctua 120mm fans, both 600rpm and 1200rpm, they are superb. Very quiet and very efficient, just hold the thing and you can even feel the difference in build to it's cheaper siblings.

But quality comes at a price and they're about £14.00 each.

Whether you add one or not is up to you really. I would myself (I have one in my 900 gamers case) but it's not essential.

There again, if you're spending around a grand, fourteen quid is relatively peanuts.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Remember to take ANTI_STATIC precautions. Ground yourself and always always place components on top of anti-static bags once you have unboxed em.

The folks here laugh at me cos I always carry a coat in winter and cos I'm paranoid about static bursts.

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3091856.php

:D

Since 1984 I have been involved in repairing electronic items for a living including componet level repairs requiring IC replacemnent.

In all that time I've never destroyed any component through static and in my opinion it's a factor that's highly over-rated.

Unless you're a complete pillock and don't realise that walking around in footwear with synthetic soles on carpet made from synthetic fibres with give off a nasty static bolt, my advice is don't worry about it.

Having said that it won't do any harm to use an anti-static mat and wrist strap but the threat is, as I've said, over-rated.

Reaction score
izzop said:
Thanks again to you both..

No, I did mean to add the Titanium, just appeared to be the better of the two, or is it over kill?

Mmmmm... Interesting. I would like to bring the cost down a bit if I could, but seeing as this is my first ever build and I've never overclocked a PC I'm not sure if doing it myself would be wise?

I'll see if I can find those bundle components seperately and see how this effects the price. I presume the chosen CPU is ok?

In the bundle what have they thrown in for the cooler, I couldn't make it out?

I've just gone through the bundle and priced it up individualy and it comes out at £525.20, so for having the CPU already overclocked doesn't seem to bad for the extra £15?

Regards,

Andrew

Hi,

That sound card is fine just wanted to make sure that you picked the correct one.

I would pay the £15 more and have the CPU overclocked. Overclocking requires a lot of reading before you can start looking at doing it. And you have to know what you are doing as well.

OC UK also have a service where if you need to update your BIOS in the further then they can send you out the latest BIOS and a profile with the overclocking settings in it all you need to do is apply the bios and the profile and then thats it.

Good luck with the build.

Regards

Ask a Question