PC Build Recommendations

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sure that there must be 100's of threads for what I'm about to ask, but here goes...

I'm after a new PC, I've looked at Dell who I've always bought from in the past, but looking at what I'd like I'm sure I could build myself a PC and save a few £'s to the same spec if not better?

The PC would be used for work and in my spare time (Gaming). For my work it has to be able to handle databases (Oralce & SQL), so I would either use XP Pro or Vista Business. Gaming I normally play games such as Call of Duty mainly on-line, are games compatible with Vista Business?

I've always wanted to have a PC with two screens, don't ask me why, just one of those things :)

My question is where do I start, I'd like to build something that would last a while. Any recommendations based on experience would be much appreciated, regarding cost... I don't want to go stupid so I suppose value for money would be good, although I would pay a little extra for the components that are worth it to improve performance.

So over to you all, thoughts, questions & recommendations welcome.

Thanks & All the Best,

Andrew

Reaction score
Hi,

Something like this below would do for you for building your own, this is good all rounder. I made this build on Overclockers UK website.

See what others suggest as well.

Attachments

• BUILD.jpg
    BUILD.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Many thanks for taking the time to look at it and reply, I appreciate it. I'll have a look in a bit more detail at the components you've recomended.

Anyone else like to comment on the recommendation, suggest alternative config or tweak it?

Best Regards,

Andrew

Reaction score
Hi,

No problem,

You might also want to conisder looking at this bundle as well.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-003-OB&tool=3

You could use the same GFX card or could get a better one if you wanted. If you can aford it I recommend getting 2x 500gb or drives or 2 1tb hard drives in case one fails then you have a backup of your data on another drive. You might want to look at maybe getting a higer wattage PSU the one I posted in my first post would be ok but if you want furtherprofe it more then you could get this one below.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-013-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1084

Hope this helps and you have now got 2 systems to look at and decide what one best suites your needs.

Regards

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks once again :) a lot to take in a decide on.

A question I do have is regarding 64bit or 32bit?

I've read in the past that 64 has a lack of support with drivers and software compatibility, is this still the case today?

I don't want to find myself in a position whre I've built a very good spec PC, jumped in with 64bit and have a problem with software incompatibilty.

Best Regards,

Andrew

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
IMHO it would be lunacy to buy Vista with Windows 7 coming in the autumn.
happywave.gif

Reaction score
izzop said:
Hi,

Thanks once again :) a lot to take in a decide on.

A question I do have is regarding 64bit or 32bit?

I've read in the past that 64 has a lack of support with drivers and software compatibility, is this still the case today?

I don't want to find myself in a position whre I've built a very good spec PC, jumped in with 64bit and have a problem with software incompatibilty.

Best Regards,

Andrew

Hiya,

There are still rumors going around about 64Bit, driver support. I have been using Vista Home Premium 64bit for about a year now I have not had any driver problems the driver compatability in Vista 64bit has improved a lot since first being lunched.

For an OS I would recommend installing Windows 7 RC 64bit there is no point in buying Vista atm because Windows 7 is going be lunched on 22nd October 2009. Then you can up-grade to that.

Do you have any old devices that you would want to use on 64Bit? Like scanners printers ect?

Kind Regards,

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks to you both... I didn't even consider Windows 7.

For work there could be some devices that I need to connect for testing and configuration of software. Work is EPOS (Electronic Point of Sale) and I know that although we can run our till software on 64bit some of the third party dll's don't support 64bit. In addition to this reports are also available in Excel, again here might be a problem as we use a COM Object that only runs on 32bit, so I could have trouble with this, unless I run some virtual XP?

Regards,

Andrew

Reaction score
izzop said:
Hi,

Thanks to you both... I didn't even consider Windows 7.

For work there could be some devices that I need to connect for testing and configuration of software. Work is EPOS (Electronic Point of Sale) and I know that although we can run our till software on 64bit some of the third party dll's don't support 64bit. In addition to this reports are also available in Excel, again here might be a problem as we use a COM Object that only runs on 32bit, so I could have trouble with this, unless I run some virtual XP?

Regards,

Andrew

Hi,

You could do that I take it you are using XP atm? If so then you could do a dual boot and install the programme on XP and have Windows 7 as your main os and then use XP for the speific programmes. I take it if you get Windows 7 32bit then both programmes would work?

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
IMHO it would be lunacy to buy Vista with Windows 7 coming in the autumn.
happywave.gif

Very true for your average user...But...

izzop said:
For my work it has to be able to handle databases (Oralce & SQL)

There could be issues with Oracle...And whatever SQL Izzop is using, although if he were more specific it could help....:p

Reaction score
Hi,

I might not need to do this as I've spoken to one of the developers who says: -

[font='Calibri','sans-serif']Hi Andrew,[/font]

[font='Calibri','sans-serif']I work daily on Vista Businness 64 bit and all is fine. Only thing is, Excel reports are currently not working (COM object is not working), in the future we will try to address this issue. There may be issues for installing Oracle Server also, you will need Oracle 11 2008 64 bit version, available on our latest DVD.[/font]

So all appears to be ok with going down the 64bit route :)

Regards,

Andrew

Reaction score
Yet another question, sorry for all these...

This is the first time I've built a PC from scratch so this might be a lame question, but with each component will the required cables be supplied, if so are they ok to use?

If not all cables are supplied what is needed?

Tools, what basic tool kit is required?

Regards

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Very true for your average user...But...

There could be issues with Oracle...And whatever SQL Izzop is using, although if he were more specific it could help....:p

Hi, Oracle isn't a problem for me, SQL is MS SQL Server Express.

One other thing I've noticed is that in the original config there doesn't appear to be a sound card?

Regards,

Andrew

Reaction score
Here's my first stab at a configuration, although currently has no sound card.

attachment.php

Feed back welcome.

Regards,

Andrew

Attachments

• My PC Draft 1.jpg
    My PC Draft 1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 218

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looks good to me :thumb:

The motherboard will have both sound and network on board which should suit your needs.

If not, you can add a better quality sound card but you're going to have to spend £60.00 at the very least to better the motherboard's sound facility.

A Review of the motherboard

You haven't chosen any optical drives yet.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Looks good to me :thumb:

The motherboard will have both sound and network on board which should suit your needs.

If not, you can add a better quality sound card but you're going to have to spend £60.00 at the very least to better the motherboard's sound facility.

Glad to hear I'm heading in the right direction :) I didn't realise that the motherboard had a sound card on it :blush:

If I was to get a better one, any one got any suggestions?

Regards,

Andrew

Reaction score
Hi,

For a sound cards I recommend the ones below.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-000-AS&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-045-CL&tool=3

Tools,

You will need a screw driver. And thats about it really the case comes with the mounting screws for installing all the parts inside the case.

Go for this optical drive.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CD-122-SA&groupid=701&catid=10&subcat=951

Cables,

The Hard Drive and Optical Drive wont come with any cables as they are OEM products and this means that its just the product its self and no cables.

In the the motherboard box there is cables included. For connecting the Hard Drive and optical drives to the motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have this sound card Asus D2X Xonar PCI-E and I have to say it's the best sounding card I've ever owned.

Is superb for online gaming such as CoD WAW.

However, it won't work with Oblivion Elder Scrolls IV; Fallout 3 and Call Of Juarez Direct X 10 patched edition, which is worth mentioning.

That means it's likely that other Asus sound cards may have the same problem.

It also costs about £27.00 less now than what I paid for it some months ago :(

Asus may have introduced drivers to fix the problem but I haven't checked lately.

The Creative Gamer X-Fi 7.1 is as good as any or it may be worth considering an Auzuntech model.

Ask a Question