paypal - the page cannot be displayed

I am using windows xp home edition, ie6. I can access all sites except
paypal. I had gotten help from two dell technicians and have read and
followed all suggestions online, cleared cache, checked hosts, checked
security settings, created new user, etc. nothing works. I can access paypal
from the second computer at home with no problem. its just this xp that is
not finding the site.
wd appreciate any help and suggestions. thanks.

Don Varnau

Hi,

If running a cable modem, dsl modem or router, have you, at some point, shut
*everything* down for a few minutes? This sometimes helps.

Try disabling third-party security programs to see if one of them is causing
this. If you disable a third-party firewall, turn on the XP firewall first.

Try opening a Cmd window (or from Start> Run) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.

See if anything at http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/16.html helps.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"dee" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

hi don
tks for yr suggestions but I hv tried all that already. the dell technicians
took me thru a whole series of actions too, and they gave up...lol. they told
me to get help from microsoft. oh well.

"dee" wrote in message
I am using windows xp home edition, ie6. I can access all sites except
paypal. I had gotten help from two dell technicians and have read and
followed all suggestions online, cleared cache, checked hosts, checked
security settings, created new user, etc. nothing works. I can access paypal
from the second computer at home with no problem. its just this xp that is
not finding the site.
wd appreciate any help and suggestions. thanks.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

"dee" wrote in message
I am using windows xp home edition, ie6. I can access all sites
except paypal. I had gotten help from two dell technicians and have
read and followed all suggestions online, cleared cache, checked
hosts, checked security settings, created new user, etc. nothing
works. I can access paypal from the second computer at home with no
problem. its just this xp that is not finding the site.
wd appreciate any help and suggestions. thanks.

Make sure your firewall is not blocking port 443.
Go to Start | Run and enter these commans (press <Enter after each one).
Regsvr32 SOFTPUB.DLL
Regsvr32 Wintrust.dll
Regsvr32 Initpki.dll
Regsvr32 Dssenh.dll
Regsvr32 Rsaenh.dll
Regsvr32 Gpkcsp.dll
Regsvr32 Sccbase.dll
Regsvr32 Slbcsp.dll
Regsvr32 Mssip32.dll
Regsvr32 Cryptdlg.dll
See also
http://windows-help.net/WindowsXP/troub-10.html
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#secure_sites
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/data/jjblack.htm
HOW TO: Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Connect to Secure Web Sites
by Using Internet Explorer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444
"The Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error Message on a Secure Web Site
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303807
How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with Internet
Explorer 6 Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870700

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

thanks frank, I have indeed tried everything u mentioned. the regsvr32 thing
ws done with the dell technician too. so as u can see I hv done everything
known to mankind, but it remains a stubborn case and certainly a mystery.
short of wiping everything out and reloading xp, I dont know what else to
try.

dee said:
thanks frank, I have indeed tried everything u mentioned. the
regsvr32 thing ws done with the dell technician too. so as u can see
I hv done everything known to mankind, but it remains a stubborn case
and certainly a mystery. short of wiping everything out and reloading
xp, I dont know what else to try.

I'm stumped. Sorry.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE