Windows Vista Partitions.

Reaction score
I have "Vista" as my operating system on a desk top computer.
It has a 500gb H/D and it has been,it seems to me,partitioned into two parts.
One is C/ the other D/.
C/ drive is the smaller @69.3gb,of which only 5.15gb remains.
D/ drive is much the larger of 387gb of which 342gb remain.
Now what I would like to know is, can I grab some of the larger partitions capacity and put it onto the smaller one.Is there a way of doing it within "Vista"
or do in need to install some thing.And is it easy to do???
Very many thanks for any replies.
historian

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
yes, you use Vista's own partitioning to do what you want. Follow the link.

be aware, get it wrong .... and you'll need to reinstall. :eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Historian, just in case you didn't realise, the text in Mucks' post 'Shrink the big one, expand the little one' is the link to the instructions how to resize partitions within Vista.

Reaction score
Do you know after all this time I thought I would re-read these posts.I`m glad I did. No I didn`t now that Mucks` post was a link, he is enigmatic is our Mr Mucks.Many thanks floppybootstomp cheers.
historian.

Reaction score
Once again I`ve re-read the above e-mails re partitioning. And I`ve clicked on the link. And I`m still in the dark,in fact looking at Microsofts disk management site I was terrified to say the least. So is there a kind person out there who can guide me,in simple terms, on how to shrink one large (D:) partition and increase a smaller (C:) partition.
My only other option is to take my desk top computer to a local computer shop.
Very many thanks to all who reply.
Historian

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Once again I`ve re-read the above e-mails re partitioning. And I`ve clicked on the link. And I`m still in the dark,in fact looking at Microsofts disk management site I was terrified to say the least. So is there a kind person out there who can guide me,in simple terms, on how to shrink one large (D:) partition and increase a smaller (C:) partition.
My only other option is to take my desk top computer to a local computer shop.
Very many thanks to all who reply.
Historian

What do you have on the "C" and "D" drives.

Do you have any personal files on the "C" drive ? If you do you could put them on the "D" drive to free up some space on the "C" drive.
It looks like you have 75 GB of space on the "C" drive which should be more than ample for the operating system and any other programs you have installed. So I am assuming that the 69 GB you mentioned will have loads of personal files which you can transfer to the "D" drive.
If that is the case and you move the files you should not need to mess around with partitions. :cool:

Reaction score
What do you have on the "C" and "D" drives.

Do you have any personal files on the "C" drive ? If you do you could put them on the "D" drive to free up some space on the "C" drive.
It looks like you have 75 GB of space on the "C" drive which should be more than ample for the operating system and any other programs you have installed. So I am assuming that the 69 GB you mentioned will have loads of personal files which you can transfer to the "D" drive.
If that is the case and you move the files you should not need to mess around with partitions. :cool:

Hi Abarbarian.
Very sorry to rep;y so late to your answer to my query.
I have programs on "C" drive, such as games, drawing progs` My internet provider AOL etc.
You mention that I should move some stuff from "C" to "D" but how do I go about doing that,what does it entail?
Many thanks for your reply.
historian.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi Abarbarian.
Very sorry to rep;y so late to your answer to my query.
I have programs on "C" drive, such as games, drawing progs` My internet provider AOL etc.
You mention that I should move some stuff from "C" to "D" but how do I go about doing that,what does it entail?
Many thanks for your reply.
historian.

You can move files by the "copy" and "paste" functions.
You could use "cut" and "paste" functions but if you make a mistake you are stuffed.

So I find it best to "copy" the file. Then "paste" it in the new location. Check that the file has been properly transferred and then "delete" the original file.

Files that you can safely move from the C drive to the D drive are files like, video, film, photographs and text files. Or any personal files that you have hanging around.

You should not move any "program" files that have been installed as the programs will no longer work and you could end up in all sorts of trouble.

Here is a link to help you on your way.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=1198

:cool:

Ask a Question