Windows 7 HD Management

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I was hoping to be able to allocate a drive-letter to the larger of my two HDs. (The smaller SSD contains the OS.) I can see the larger one listed in Disk Management, but, I've had only a single HD in the past - and never bothered with partitions.

So as you might guess I'm not too sure how I should proceed. This is what I see in the Disk Management window:

attachment.php

The options I see under the "Action" tab are as follows:

Refresh
Rescan Disks
Create VHD
Attach VHD
All Tasks >>New Simple Volume
>>>>>>>>>New Spanned Volume - greyed-out
>>>>>>>>>New Striped Volume - greyed-out
>>>>>>>>>New Mirrored Volume - greyed-out
>>>>>>>>>New RAID-5 Volume
Properties
Help

I don't see an option for "formatting" which is what I thought might be needed.... so I'm a bit stumped. (I have tried Googling, btw, but not found anything "idiot proof" enough lol.

A bit of guidance would be much appreciated - or if someone could please point my nose in the right direction, that too would be helpful.

Thanks for reading - and sorry to be sending such a barrage of questions. :D

Attachments

• Disk info.JPG
    Disk info.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 567
Reaction score
Hi Taffy,

Simply right click on the partition itself (it should highlight with diagonal lines) and choose an option

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
select New Simple Volume ... sorted. :)

The drive letter will automatically be the next available letter in the alphabet not already used, NOT including A & B as they are always/were floppy drive letters.

Probably E

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thank you Mucks!! :thumb: I didn't know it would be that easy ... Win 7's good isn't it!! :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Oh thank you Mucks!! :thumb: I didn't know it would be that easy ... Win 7's good isn't it!! :D
Yup, is why we "professionals" use it. :cool:

asking questions is good for your health. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Did it! Wow! That really was easy peasy, great! :D

Hi there Trips :wave: Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you just now... but I failed to see your post - I've been fiddling with text sizing, so didn't see the complete thread! Duh!! Lol

Ask a Question