Windows 7 How can I get rid of Local disk "D"

Reaction score
I like my Win 7 X64 which is used solely for Flight Sim, (not a game btw!) But...The DDR is 500gb with Local disk C 240gb and Local disk D 260gb, or roughly half and half. My problem started when I clean installed Win7 Ult over my original Vista hb. I assumed that I would have 1 drive of 500gb which I had when I first put the rig together. It was when I installed Vista that the 2 drives came about with me not quite knowing how or why. Long and short is that after I installed Win 7 I ended up with both systems with take your pick at startup. I have managed to delete Vista but both C and D have their own file systems, Program Files etc. including the dreaded Games folder! I really don't want 2 lots of similar files as I'm trying to lose weight prior to going SSD; can anyone put me wise?
Any help would be very much appreciated.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
If the files on D are not needed it's quite simple. You just need to shrink the volume.

Follow the steps HERE

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Hmmm......

There are a few options available. None that are too clean. The question is, which drive did the Win 7 installation go to? If it is on the C drive and Vista is on D, then you can simply format the D drive, or partition, to remove the files. You would have to modify the boot order to remove the option for Vista.

In Windows 7, go to System Properties in Control Panel, or press the Windows key and the Pause/Break key (system properties shortcut). Click the link for Advanced System Settings, Click the Advanced Tab and click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. You can specify which OS to show in the list or if you want to see the list in the boot process.

Maybe that will help.

Ask a Question