Windows XP Partition manager

Reaction score
I would like to install Vista beta on my system but have only one partition and I do not want to lose my XP system.
So, I need to repartition my disc (plenty of free space) and realise that I need a partition manager.
I find the free one (Ramesh) too complex, so I have been looking at the commercial ones:
- Norton Partition Magic
- BootIt Ng
- Acronis

It is all rather expensive for something that I will use only once, but ...
Anyway, my question: does anybody have any experience with these programs?
What is recommended given that this is not my are of great know-how.

Thanks for your comments.
Rob

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Save yourself time, trouble and money ... I would not recommend you install Vista on your main PC. :)

The cheapest "option" is to get a second HD.

I lasted two weeks before I re-installed Linux ... I'll wait for RC5 or final.
nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mucks is right.

I will probably actually purchase a copy of Vista, but not until at least six months after it's release.

If you really want to try it now, I've had no problems with Partition Manager 8 (although I've read of others that have); I have Acronis True Image, which works really well (although not with RAID 0 setups) but I haven't used Acronis' partitioning software.

I never heard of the other one.

But, as Mucks says, for the price of the software, you may as well buy another hard disk :)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Save yourself time, trouble and money ... I would not recommend you install Vista on your main PC. :)
The cheapest "option" is to get a second HD.
I lasted two weeks before I re-installed Linux ... I'll wait for RC5 or final.
nod.gif

floppybootstomp said:
Mucks is right.
I will probably actually purchase a copy of Vista, but not until at least six months after it's release.
If you really want to try it now, I've had no problems with Partition Manager 8 (although I've read of others that have); I have Acronis True Image, which works really well (although not with RAID 0 setups) but I haven't used Acronis' partitioning software.
I never heard of the other one.
But, as Mucks says, for the price of the software, you may as well buy another hard disk

Thanks guys, that is probably the best way to do it.

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
Pensionada.

Acronis seems to work OK, but as with all software of this type, make sure you create a resore disk.

Covenant

Ask a Question