Parental Issues

Reaction score
My parents have never really approved of me being on the computer all the time (not literally 24/7, but several hours a day). As you've probably guessed, my computer is like my baby to me. I'm constantly learning new things and I love it.

When I'm on my computer, and my parents walk by the room, often times they'll just say something like "I think you've been on long enough today, get off.", even if I had only been on 30mins or something. It's really starting to annoy me, because I do other things. I go out with friends all the time, do other activities.

My sister on the other hand is the opposite of me. When she's on the computer, she does nothing but play little java games and chat with her friends. She watches TV 7 hours a day, and never sees her friends. She gets much better grades than me, though, so I suppose that's why they never say anything.

My dad told me yesterday that he and my mom had a talk and that as of the weekend, I wouldn't be allowed on the computer, to see if I can do other things (like I don't already :roll: ).

Anyhow, my point is this. Why are they forcing me to get off just because they don't understand why I'm on here, what I do, and why I like it. They think it's evil or something of the sort. As I said, if I were on here 24/7, I would understand, but I'm not.

I much prefer doing this than to watch TV all day long. I learn much more this way and enjoy what I'm doing. Why don't they understand this? They think I have no initiative in life or something like that. Any ideas to help them get off my case? :angry:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
They will probably give up eventually - my parents use to complain about me being on the PC too much all the time (then again, I could be on for 8 hours some weekends!).

You could always appear to not be playing on the computer ;) Try "working" on it - i.e games minimised when they come near, and word documents at the ready to be opened? ;) Just a thought :D

Reaction score
I'm not into games lately anyway, so I rarely play. I'm always just surfing the web, posting on forums, looking things up, etc.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Um... I'm not sure what do them - in time they will leave up on it. I'm the same, I rarely play games, I just surf forums and fix this site :)

Reaction score
I concur, everyone is saying that in time they'll leave me alone. The only problem is that if my dad actually kicks me off for the weekend, I'm not getting anywhere. I'll probably be at the Linux Symposium anyway, so we'll see. Arg!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You could always "pop out to friends" then nip down to the local Internet Cafe. 8)

Excuse me for asking Eric, and by all means refuse to answer, but how old are you?

I have the three Grandkids (yep, I really am that old) staying over for a couple of weeks and I have got fed up with them asking if they could “play” on my computer (nobody plays on MY computer) so I built there own.

Mucks

Reaction score
17. Not only am I the youngest staff member at PCReview, but I'm also the only Canuck. :)

Oh, and I couldn't care less about going to an Internet Café. I want to use MY computer.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Tell 'em that in Japan the 5year olds are teaching their parents how to use a computer.

At 10 they are building networks for large companies.

At 21 they retire and keep their parents in a lap of luxury. :brow:

;)

Reaction score
My parents still do that, i'm only 16 though, and I pretty much spend all the time on the computer. It's beneficial, as I got a job from it, i run 2 websites, I still get job offers all the time, I'm writing a script that should make me more money, i've got some qualifications from doing it. So all's well, my parents are realising that I'm doing productive stuff some time so it's worth it. I just hope my eye sight doesn't start failing.

-Pete

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
My dad did and grandma did that to me so here is how I fixed it,I built them there on PC lmao (little joke) but really I did build them both a computer and didnt hear much out of either one after that ;)

wildone

Ask a Question