Pandora Machine

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Toms Hardware review the Pandora Machine, a Steam console made in Italy which also runs Windows 8.1:

A slew of Steam Machines should start hitting the market soon, with or without SteamOS. And you'll likely see various solutions created by renowned figures in the industry. Many have identified an opportunity to venture into an unexplored territory full of potential, some of the companies are less-recognized names, but no less eager to create a competitive product. That's the case with the Pandora Machine, a device completely Italian-made by a company of the same name, a Sardinian start-up that gave us a closer look at its project.

pandora-2_w_600.jpg

Reaction score
I'm not sorry to say at that price they can keep it

I could buy (almost) If i was inclined to do so a PS4 and an Xbox One together (used) for that price!!

At today's rates taking into account the lowest figure that's £550. I can't see the price going down for many years either.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
From the article, on the pricing:

We're told to expect something between 700 and 730€. That'll get you a Pandora Machine, a gamepad, a keyboard with integrated trackball, a HDMI cable and a Windows license,

I'd expect Microsoft will take a chunk of the £550 for their OS but it's swings and roundabouts.

Xbox One & PS4 can be had for an average of £350.00 but the games are expensive. At least with Steam the games are reasonably priced and there's also a huge choice, much more than Sony or MS can offer for use with their consoles.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
So, is it a PC under a different name? or a glorified gaming console.

Why aren't they gonna use Win 10? :lol:

oh, and my PC does more, and plays Scream games ... it was cheaper too. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, too pricey for me - but I guess you're paying a premium for the design. I do hope the steam console system takes off though, plus I'm sure there will be consoles for half that price soon enough :).

Reaction score
I'm wondering if all the games currently purchased via steam (ones already on my PC, that I have bought) will be able to be played on this aswell?

Stuff like Walking dead and Lara croft Guardian of Light

Transferred over via an online account?

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm wondering if all the games currently purchased via steam (ones already on my PC, that I have bought) will be able to be played on this aswell?

Stuff like Walking dead and Lara croft Guardian of Light

Transferred over via an online account?

Once you've bought a Steam game you can play it on any computer so yes, you can play all your current Steam catalogue on this console I'm fairly sure.

Of course you can only use your Steam account on one machine at a time though, makes sense if you think about it.

If it's running on Windows you can probably use a backup file of your games as well or just download them again.

So, as mentioned, money saving on games is a good reason for purchase. But as Mucks pointed out, if you have a PC that runs your games ok then why bother buying a PC OS-based Steam console?

It will be interesting to see how (and if) these consoles shape up in the market.

Ask a Question