Steam games store to 'allow everything'

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by V_R, Jun 7, 2018.

1. V_R

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44393415

"In a statement about Steam's new terms, Valve said: "Taking this approach allows us to focus less on trying to police what should be on Steam, and more on building those tools to give people control over what kinds of content they see.""
    Interesting approach.

V_R, Jun 7, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. V_R

Becky Webmistress Administrator

Hmmm I'm not sure what I think about this. On the one hand they are providing a service which allows people to buy the games they want to buy - so in theory the market should regulate itself. Offensive games should receive bad ratings, people are less likely to buy them. On the other hand, Steam takes a (big) cut from each game sold, so they would benefit financially from games that are offensive.

Also, they say that they will not permit games that are 'straight up trolling' - how on earth do they define that?!

Becky, Jun 7, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. V_R

Good article on this topic: Steam's content policy is both arrogant and cowardly

Interesting read :nod:

Becky, Jun 7, 2018
  4. V_R

Ian Administrator

Considering that Steam/Valve take such a huge cut of the sales price - I'm really disappointed to hear that they're basically saying "anything goes", unless it's particularly egregious. I'm all for "light touch" control of things like this - but there is already an overwhelming amount of dross for sale on Steam, and this just sets the bar even lower. There are games available that are in pre-alpha, buggy, non-working states that are available for sale - and it means I'm much, much more selective and cautious about buying from Steam, given their poor after-sales care.

I'm less concerned about Steam selling offensive games, as if it's really that bad and game publishers/distributors can't be trusted to self-moderate, then it'll end up meaning they're regulated further up the chain (in the same way that films are). One way or another, things that are particularly bad won't get though... but the bar for quality is potentially going to be far lower and people will end up voting with their feet.

Ian, Jun 8, 2018
    Becky likes this.
  5. V_R

Abraham Andres Luna

This is sad because kids can buy these games on Steam without parents consent. All the kid has to do is enter a credit card and Steam assumes that they are paying adults.

Abraham Andres Luna, Jun 9, 2018
  6. V_R

Steam does have parental controls, but I suppose there is nothing to stop a kid from downloading it and signing up separately if they have access to a card.

Becky, Jun 10, 2018
    Abraham Andres Luna likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question