Valve Backed PC to Appear at CES 2013

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So it looks like its finally happening... Must say, i love the design! :)

The "Steam Box" is coming, though it's not officially called that. PC company Xi3 has announced a "new development stage computer system," to be shown at CES this week. It's designed specifically to support Steam and by extension its Big Picture mode, and will be housed in a chassis similar to the one shown above. Valve has invested in the company, and the computer will be on display at both Valve's and Xi3's booths at CES.

"This new development stage product will allow users to take full-advantage of their large high-definition TV displays for an amazing computer game experience," said Xi3 CEO Jason A. Sullivan in a statement printed on Polygon. "As a result, this new system could provide access to thousands of gaming titles through an integrated system that exceeds the capabilities of leading game consoles, but can fit in the palm of your hand."
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/07/valve-pc-steam-box/

Remember when Xi3 announced a Kickstarter project for its modular computers late last year? Well, those machines are here today at CES, thanks in no small part to some lofty backing from Valve. We got a first look at its latest mini-PC, code-named Piston, tonight -- and though a more comprehensive demo is to come, we walked away with some impressions nonetheless. Of course, Valve wouldn't back this system if it didn't have some serious graphics chops. It's optimized to run Valve's Steam platform -- and specifically big-picture mode -- and to that end it packs a quad-core chip. Most specs remain vague, though the Piston apparently offers up to 1TB of storage. The package is tiny yet rugged, with an aluminum chassis that's made to resist heat (and that will certainly come in handy during gaming sessions). Xi3 is also touting the system's low energy consumption; it runs on just 40W. And it's somewhat future-proof, too, with a modular motherboard that lets you swap out components when newer tech becomes available. Our hands-on gallery will have to tide you over till we get a full walkthrough at Xi3's booth tomorrow.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/hands-on-with-xi3s-piston-modular-pc-at-ces/

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That looks incredible! I wonder when it will be ready for distribution? Can't wait to get my hands on one :D Don't think I've seen anything like that modular motherboard before... it's all so small it was difficult to make out where the graphics card is, but I presume it is a modular element.

Ask a Question