Overclocking CPU again -

Reaction score
Hey ho!

Right, i want to get my CPU back to 3.0GHz properly though, now this week been doing alot with the pc to get it up to scratch.

I did coretemp, and my CPU was at a massive 70+ all 4 cores, i've managed to get this down to 30 idle at 3.0Ghz now. (Cleaning heatsink, new thermal compound, fans all on high)

I've managed to change the RAM to 1:1 ratio at 4-4-4-12 running at 332Mhz, now is this right?!

So basically want to make sure i've done it correctly in BIOS as it all confuses me if i'm honest, here is the things i've changed in BIOS, and this is my motherboard - Gigabyte P35-DS3R-Rev 1.1

FSB Multiplier = 333
Memory Multiplier = 2.0
PCI Express Multiplier = 100MHz
MCH = +0.1
PCI-E = +0.1
PCI Over voltage = +0.1
CPU voltage = 1.2625

Disabled the following - C1E/EIST

I think that covers it, i've given you a screen shot of my CPU-Z information also, hope it's correct, Prime95 seems to be doing ok, and getting some excellent temperatures at load. I have to mention that when i just put FSB to 334 and left everything to AUTO, i would get alot of blue screens the automatic restarts, couldn't really play a game without it going to "Not Responding", hope i've given you enough information, thanks!

Attachments

• CPU-Z.jpg
    CPU-Z.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 242
  • CPU-Z2.jpg
    CPU-Z2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 249
Reaction score
What CPU is that? Can't see the pictures properly.

looks good cpu ratio should be around 9.0. Is that what you set it up as?

70C is pushing it hard but I would be concerned if it does get to 75C. Get yourself a program called Orthos similar to prime 95 but in orthos you get this thing called stress test on cpu and ram. Let that run for 8 hours at least and take notes of the temperatures you are getting.

Now your BSOD are probably something to do with overclocking the RAM :_)(

Reaction score
Q6600 GO version.

By CPU ratio do you mean the multiplier? If so, it's at 9.

It's not getting to 75 no more, i had my heater on all day and such, which didn't help. Fans were on low also. Prime95 has a test called "Blend" which does the RAM and CPU :)

Well, so far i havn't had any blue screens now i've changed the RAM compared to before.

Reaction score
ah same one as me then good good.

Yes it is the multiplier that is what I meant on my BIOS it comes up as CPU Ratio.

I got mine to 3ghz the other day did the same thing as you. So far no blue screen or problems my temps are 45 idle and on full load go up to around 60C.

How much voltage you got going into the memory? I set mine in at 1.74 volts. What is your VID on the CPU? Should be able to see that on CPUZ. is it 1.26 as suggested? If so that is brilliant.

Reaction score
Yeah so far my load temps at 3.0Ghz, are at 46c, which i think is really good right? Might go to 3.2Ghz after a few weeks.

I can't remember RAM, i think something like 2.1v not to sure. My VID is showing 1.184v, i think i read somewhere that CPU-Z that shows it differently compared to BIOs or something.

If it's stable so far, i'm extremely pleased with the temps etc, putting fans on high, re-applying Arctic 5 has changed temps dramatically.

Reaction score
pretty damn decent temperature that. There will be a difference in the readings I would use CPUz you got a healthy VID there some potential to get it to 3.2ghz.

I fancy 3.2 ghz myself what will you up to get it there?

What fans you got in that thing?

Reaction score
I'm using the Arctic Cooler Freezer 7, Antec 900 Case, so 2 fans at the front, one massive on top, and one at the back, and i fitted one to the side of the casing. Pretty noisy if i'm honest, but i'm willing to sacrifice that for better performance.

To get to 3.2Ghz, i think i'll up the FSB and then if i get problems the Vcore a tad, but other then that i should be fine i think.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Have a freezer 7 pro on my Q6600, the key is having the 12cm fan attached to the case behind it as the fan on the freezer 7 pro is strong enough to cool the heatsink but not to get rid of the hot air behind it.

I have lapped an E4300 (polished it really) and that gave some grat drops in temps, am considering doing my Q6600 as i'm just about to switch to watercooling.

3.2Ghz is doable, i got to a shaky 3.4Ghz i think, definetly got to 3.25Ghz.

Reaction score
Ah right, probably around 355-360 yeah, but i'll let this run like this for a while to see just how stable it really is, then i will do a little more. Then wait till after chrstmas to invest in a nVidia 260 Black edition!

Reaction score
Check out my current overclock:

overclock.jpg

The memory is set on auto and is read as 1033 but it should be 1333 when I set it to 1333 the PC will crash with BSOD
Any way to stop this happening?

Reaction score
Actually maybe the memory when set to auto is read as 1333. I want to get to 3.2 next though.

Reaction score
haha very funny but your northern jokes are boring me now :_)

It was 1066 but when I set it to auto it must have changed

I'm very sure on boot up it comes up as 1066 too

Ask a Question