Overclocking Voltage

Reaction score
I'm just seeing how much further I can push my 3700, I've taken it up another 100mhz to 2.8 and its stable, but it doesn't want to go any further on the stock voltage.

So I changed the CPU voltage to 1.5.

But when I opened up cpu-z, it was still on 1.44 -ish volts.

Then when I went to Coretemp to look at the temp, it says VID is 1.35 volts.

So could someone tell me which of these I should increase for the CPU? Should I be increasing VID instead?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You should be adjusting the vCore in the bios - the bios setting sets the level that the VRM delivers. The reading in CPU-z and other runtime utilities will tell the voltage that the CPU actually receives from the m/b - the difference is the voltage droop, caused by resistive losses and this will increase (so the CPU-z vCore reading will fall) as the CPU is more heavily loaded.

Don't worry about the droop - just stick to inputing the required vCore in bios :thumb:

Reaction score
I'm just waiting for a couple of benchmarks to download, then I'll see how much further I can push it.

I don't need to owrry about all those voltage readings then. :D

Cheers Ady :thumb:

Edit: That did the trick. Rocking along happily at 2948mhz with a 1.5v core. I make that a 33% overclock. Not bad, and temps still aren't reaching 50 :D

Last edited:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
if you truly were OCing, u woud have lowered the mutilpier and ram frequencys ... not just raising the FSB :D

Reaction score
Well to be honest the motherboard does the ram frequencies well enough on its own on auto.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You don't have to lower the multipliers either, so I didn't.

Raising FSB is quick and easy. and I'm stupid and impatient, so go figure :D

Ask a Question