Overclock question

ElJerid

My PC is equipped with an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard, with Intel Core 2 Duo
E8400 and 2 x 2 GB Corsair PC6400. The CPU runs 100 % stable at 3600 MHz
with the multiplier set at 9x . The FSB speed is 400 (800) MHz and not
overclocked. Voltages are unchanged and RAM is at spd.
I'd like to replace the RAM by 2 x 2 GB Corsair PC8500, by wich I should set
the FSB at 533 (1066) MHz and the multiplier at 7x.
Would this result in some noticeable overall speed increase (except the fact
that the CPU should run at 3730 MHz) ?
With other words, would the increase of the FSB and ram from 400 to 533 MHz
be noticeable ?
Thanks for advice.

FooAtari

My PC is equipped with an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard, with Intel Core 2
Duo E8400 and 2 x 2 GB Corsair PC6400. The CPU runs 100 % stable at 3600
MHz with the multiplier set at 9x . The FSB speed is 400 (800) MHz and
not overclocked. Voltages are unchanged and RAM is at spd. I'd like to
replace the RAM by 2 x 2 GB Corsair PC8500, by wich I should set the FSB
at 533 (1066) MHz and the multiplier at 7x. Would this result in some
noticeable overall speed increase (except the fact that the CPU should
run at 3730 MHz) ? With other words, would the increase of the FSB and
ram from 400 to 533 MHz be noticeable ?
Thanks for advice.

Your not really going to notice a huge difference from 3600 to 3730MHz.
I'm not sure how far you can generally push the E8400. I *think* I've
seen people easily hit 4Ghz with it on good air cooling, but don't quote
me on that. To do that you could maybe keep the multiplier to 9 and
increase the FSB to 440ish. Or drop the multiplier to 8 and go for
500ish FSB. But you might have to start increasing the voltages to CPU.
So sufficient cooling is a must.

I'm not sure of the specifics for that CPU/mobo combo, so to be honest,
before pushing the CPU further I'd go and read up a bit on overcloking
that specific CPU especially with your mobo if you can find any
information on it. Last thing you want to do is fry it :)

FooAtari

I *think* I've
seen people easily hit 4Ghz with it on good air cooling, but don't quote
me on that. To do that you could maybe keep the multiplier to 9 and
increase the FSB to 440ish.

Actually, depending on how much you want to push your current components
you _might_ be able to run your RAM with 440FSB, but again your probably
going to have to start increasing voltages and perhaps mess around with
the timings. Not sure what your level of knowledge about all that is :).
I have a rough grasp on timings, but personally I've always avoided
getting into changing them.

ElJerid

FooAtari said:
Actually, depending on how much you want to push your current components
you _might_ be able to run your RAM with 440FSB, but again your probably
going to have to start increasing voltages and perhaps mess around with
the timings. Not sure what your level of knowledge about all that is :).
I have a rough grasp on timings, but personally I've always avoided
getting into changing them.

Actually, Corsair ram (and others) isn' t very good in overclocking. Without
changing voltages, pushing the ram to 405 Mhz is enough to get blue screens.
I don' t want to push the cpu even further, as I know that +/- 3600 Mhz is
the max you could achieve without extra cooling or voltage increase.
I know that the speed increase of the cpu from 3600 to 3730 Mhz will not be
noticeable, but my question was in fact if the increase of the fsb from 400
to 533 Ghz (with adequate ram) should be worth the upgrade (main
applications: Adobe Premiere video editing and Photoshop).

peter

You would be very very lucky to reach 475 FSB on that board......
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...83-asus-p5q-pro-p45-motherboard-review-9.html

or disruptive,please ignore it.
to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :)