Outlook Outlook. The datafile "Personal Folders" was not closed properly. The file is being c

Reaction score
I get this message when trying to start outlook. The scan starts but after about half an hour the PC locks up and I can't get into outlook tools.
Any ideas appreciated
Orty

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you have lots of e-mails this process can take quite some time to finish (it takes almost an hour on my PC if this happens). It might be worth leaving for a little while and see if it kicks back in to life :)

You could also try the Inbox Repair Tool, which is called SCANPST.EXE and located on your Office folder. If you have Office 2007 then it's probably in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12". It might be worth backing up your e-mails before running this though, just in case.

Reaction score
Good morning Ian, thanks for your prompt reply.
The big problem is that the scan stops running after half an hour and outlook stops responding.
How do I back up my emails when Outlook will not open?
Orty

Reaction score
Thanks for that link Ian.
I left the pc on for the last four hours and when I got back it had sorted itself out. Everything OK now
Will try a backup as suggested
Orty

Ask a Question