Outlook rule based on secondary SMTP address?


G

Guest

Hello

I am trying to create outlook rules (server side (exchange 2000)) based on
the recipients secondary SMTP-Address, so when a mail is recieved on this
address the rule should move it to a specified folder in the mailbox (no
PST).

This does not seem to work very well, because Outlook will resolve the name
of the recipient and will not keep the secondary SMTP-Address that I try to
enter in the rule. I have tried to change the settings in Outlook so that it
should not resolve the name, but with no luck. It still resolves the name.
(maybe this is because it is a server based rule?)

So far, so bad... Another strange thing in this, is that I HAVE been able to
create one rule like this, that actually works. This was when I sent a
testmail from a Veritas Backup Exec 9 console and in the Outlook inbox, I
right-clicked on this mail and choose "Create Rule...". I dont know if it was
someting with the formatting in this mail, but after this temporary success
it has never worked again.

Why I want to create these rules, is because I (we) manage hundreds of
servers (for different customers) and are responsible for all backup jobs on
these servers.
So when the responsible person for checking theese backup jobs changes,
instead of changing the notification address on all backup jobs, I will
simply have to move the secondary SMTP-Address on my mailbox to the other
person.

So... Can someone explain to me how i can trick Outlook to accept rules
based on a secondary SMTP address? Or in some other way get this scenario to
function smoothly?

Thanks in advance!
 
Ad

Advertisements

N

neo [mvp outlook]

Have you tried creating a rule that looks for the SMTP address in the
message header.
 
L

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Stefan said:
Hello

I am trying to create outlook rules (server side (exchange 2000))
based on the recipients secondary SMTP-Address, so when a mail is
recieved on this address the rule should move it to a specified
folder in the mailbox (no PST).

This does not seem to work very well, because Outlook will resolve
the name of the recipient and will not keep the secondary
SMTP-Address that I try to enter in the rule. I have tried to change
the settings in Outlook so that it should not resolve the name, but
with no luck. It still resolves the name. (maybe this is because it
is a server based rule?)

So far, so bad... Another strange thing in this, is that I HAVE been
able to create one rule like this, that actually works. This was when
I sent a testmail from a Veritas Backup Exec 9 console and in the
Outlook inbox, I right-clicked on this mail and choose "Create
Rule...". I dont know if it was someting with the formatting in this
mail, but after this temporary success it has never worked again.

Why I want to create these rules, is because I (we) manage hundreds of
servers (for different customers) and are responsible for all backup
jobs on these servers.
So when the responsible person for checking theese backup jobs
changes, instead of changing the notification address on all backup
jobs, I will simply have to move the secondary SMTP-Address on my
mailbox to the other person.

So... Can someone explain to me how i can trick Outlook to accept
rules based on a secondary SMTP address? Or in some other way get
this scenario to function smoothly?

Thanks in advance!

Totally off topic reply/suggestion - use mail-enabled public folders for
your backup notifications. Control access to the PFs in question via
permissions assigned to groups. This sounds like it would be a lot easier to
manage overall.....and you wouldn't have to go around massaging rules in
different peoples' mailboxes every time the roles change.
 
G

Guest

Thanks for your answers.

I will test the rule with the smtp address in the message header.
If this works, i can use the import/export rules function to move the rules
to another mailbox when the role changes.
 
L

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Stefan said:
Thanks for your answers.

I will test the rule with the smtp address in the message header.
If this works, i can use the import/export rules function to move the
rules to another mailbox when the role changes.

Still sounds like a pain to me. What about having mail-enabled groups called
"Backups - Company A" "Backups - Company B", etc - and add the recipients as
members?
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

Just wanted to thank Stefan for asking the same exact question I was about to
ask, and especially thank neo for helping with the answer, thumbs out and one
happy customer comming up :D


neo said:
Have you tried creating a rule that looks for the SMTP address in the
message header.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top