outlook pst not importing correctly


S

sandiegopchelp

I have a pst file from outlook 2002, I imported it back into 2002 and 2007
with the same issue:

ALL CONTACTS APPEAR IN DELETED ITEMS AS EMAILS! When I move them back to
contacts, they are fine, but the email addresses and phone numbers are
missing!!

What is happening here?

http://www.sandiegopchelp.com
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

I have a pst file from outlook 2002, I imported it back into 2002 and 2007
with the same issue:

ALL CONTACTS APPEAR IN DELETED ITEMS AS EMAILS! When I move them back to
contacts, they are fine, but the email addresses and phone numbers are
missing!!
Do not import. Open the PST in Outlook with FIle>Open>Outlook Data File.
The move the items to the corresponding default folders.
 
G

Gordon

sandiegopchelp said:
I have a pst file from outlook 2002, I imported it back into 2002 and 2007
with the same issue:

ALL CONTACTS APPEAR IN DELETED ITEMS AS EMAILS! When I move them back to
contacts, they are fine, but the email addresses and phone numbers are
missing!!
Please crosspost, do not multipost. Answered in outlook contacts.....
 
D

DL

As posted daily, you open a pst within Outlook, then copy data if required
 
S

sandiegopchelp

Tried that, same issue.

Brian Tillman said:
Do not import. Open the PST in Outlook with FIle>Open>Outlook Data File.
The move the items to the corresponding default folders.
 
G

Gordon

sandiegopchelp said:
Tried that, same issue.
Sorry, you can't have. If you copy the contacts from one pst file to the
contacts folder in another, they can't POSSIBLY end up in the "deleted
items" folder. tell us what you are REALLY doing...
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

sandiegopchelp

The full story:

1. Backed up PST file.
2. Reloaded XP
3. Installed Outlook 2007.
4. Chose file, open and browsed to the PST file.
5. Data is now back, but all contacts are sitting in deleted items folder.
6. I move contacts back to contacts folder, and they reappear as normal,
but phone number and email address is missing.
 
G

Gordon

sandiegopchelp said:
The full story:

1. Backed up PST file.
2. Reloaded XP
3. Installed Outlook 2007.
4. Chose file, open and browsed to the PST file.
5. Data is now back, but all contacts are sitting in deleted items
folder.
6. I move contacts back to contacts folder, and they reappear as normal,
but phone number and email address is missing.
Then there's a problem with the "backed-up" pst file. How did you make this
"back-up"?
 
S

sandiegopchelp

The file was part of an image that was taken of the entire drive using an
imaging software. No other data has shown any issues.

Can the file be repaired somehow? Why is the file just not showing as
corrupt? Have any of you guys ever seen something like this before?
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

sandiegopchelp

Still no reply from anyone on this. So the bottom line is that there is
nothing I can do?
 
R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Did you repair the file? Did you create and keep a valid backup?
 
B

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

The file was part of an image that was taken of the entire drive using an
imaging software. No other data has shown any issues.
Was Outlook open when you made this backup? I've heard of imaging software
having problems with database files.
Can the file be repaired somehow? Why is the file just not showing as
corrupt? Have any of you guys ever seen something like this before?
I can't go back and look now. Did you say you tried scanpst? How about
one of the commercially-available PST recovery tools? The only time I heard
of this is when copying a PST with Outlook (or and add-in that ties into
Outlook) open.
 
S

sandiegopchelp

I did not repair the file. How can I do that?

I do not have any other backups. Just this PST file that I am working with.

How do you suggest I proceed?

Russ Valentine said:
Did you repair the file? Did you create and keep a valid backup?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
sandiegopchelp said:
Still no reply from anyone on this. So the bottom line is that there is
nothing I can do?
 
R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Two suggestions:
1. Use the Inbox Repair Tool on this file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227/en-us
2. Never rely on image files to back up important data files, especially
highly proprietary files like Outlook's data files.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
sandiegopchelp said:
I did not repair the file. How can I do that?

I do not have any other backups. Just this PST file that I am working
with.

How do you suggest I proceed?

Russ Valentine said:
Did you repair the file? Did you create and keep a valid backup?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
message
Still no reply from anyone on this. So the bottom line is that there
is
nothing I can do?

:

message
The full story:

1. Backed up PST file.
2. Reloaded XP
3. Installed Outlook 2007.
4. Chose file, open and browsed to the PST file.
5. Data is now back, but all contacts are sitting in deleted items
folder.
6. I move contacts back to contacts folder, and they reappear as
normal,
but phone number and email address is missing.


Then there's a problem with the "backed-up" pst file. How did you make
this
"back-up"?
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

sandiegopchelp

Thanks for the suggestions. I have imaged hard drives dozens of times in the
past and have imported PST files, and have never had a problem! It is so
strange. I don't see how imaging data would corrupt it, especially since I
mount the drive after imaging and verify all the data looks good.

Could it be that the PST file actually had corrupt before I backed it up,
and it only manifested itself after I tried to export and re-import? That
seems like a more likely possibility to me.

Thanks also for the PST repair tool. I'll post in this thread what happens!
Are there any other commercial tools that might work if this one doesn't?

Russ Valentine said:
Two suggestions:
1. Use the Inbox Repair Tool on this file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227/en-us
2. Never rely on image files to back up important data files, especially
highly proprietary files like Outlook's data files.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
sandiegopchelp said:
I did not repair the file. How can I do that?

I do not have any other backups. Just this PST file that I am working
with.

How do you suggest I proceed?

Russ Valentine said:
Did you repair the file? Did you create and keep a valid backup?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
message
Still no reply from anyone on this. So the bottom line is that there
is
nothing I can do?

:

message
The full story:

1. Backed up PST file.
2. Reloaded XP
3. Installed Outlook 2007.
4. Chose file, open and browsed to the PST file.
5. Data is now back, but all contacts are sitting in deleted items
folder.
6. I move contacts back to contacts folder, and they reappear as
normal,
but phone number and email address is missing.


Then there's a problem with the "backed-up" pst file. How did you make
this
"back-up"?
 
R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

As Brian already told you, we've heard of imaging software having difficulty
with database files. Importing has never been appropriate for PST files. If
the Inbox Repair Tool fails to repair the PST file, you can use the
following tool to find out what can be fixed:
http://officerecovery.com/outlook/index.htm

Why can't you just move the Contacts back to their correct Folder?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
sandiegopchelp said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have imaged hard drives dozens of times in
the
past and have imported PST files, and have never had a problem! It is so
strange. I don't see how imaging data would corrupt it, especially since
I
mount the drive after imaging and verify all the data looks good.

Could it be that the PST file actually had corrupt before I backed it up,
and it only manifested itself after I tried to export and re-import? That
seems like a more likely possibility to me.

Thanks also for the PST repair tool. I'll post in this thread what
happens!
Are there any other commercial tools that might work if this one doesn't?

Russ Valentine said:
Two suggestions:
1. Use the Inbox Repair Tool on this file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227/en-us
2. Never rely on image files to back up important data files, especially
highly proprietary files like Outlook's data files.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
message
I did not repair the file. How can I do that?

I do not have any other backups. Just this PST file that I am working
with.

How do you suggest I proceed?

:

Did you repair the file? Did you create and keep a valid backup?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
message
Still no reply from anyone on this. So the bottom line is that
there
is
nothing I can do?

:

in
message
The full story:

1. Backed up PST file.
2. Reloaded XP
3. Installed Outlook 2007.
4. Chose file, open and browsed to the PST file.
5. Data is now back, but all contacts are sitting in deleted
items
folder.
6. I move contacts back to contacts folder, and they reappear as
normal,
but phone number and email address is missing.


Then there's a problem with the "backed-up" pst file. How did you
make
this
"back-up"?
 
S

sandiegopchelp

Thanks for the link. When I move the contats back into their correct folder,
the email address and phone number data is gone for all contacts! All other
data, such as first name, last name and address is intact.

Russ Valentine said:
As Brian already told you, we've heard of imaging software having difficulty
with database files. Importing has never been appropriate for PST files. If
the Inbox Repair Tool fails to repair the PST file, you can use the
following tool to find out what can be fixed:
http://officerecovery.com/outlook/index.htm

Why can't you just move the Contacts back to their correct Folder?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
sandiegopchelp said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have imaged hard drives dozens of times in
the
past and have imported PST files, and have never had a problem! It is so
strange. I don't see how imaging data would corrupt it, especially since
I
mount the drive after imaging and verify all the data looks good.

Could it be that the PST file actually had corrupt before I backed it up,
and it only manifested itself after I tried to export and re-import? That
seems like a more likely possibility to me.

Thanks also for the PST repair tool. I'll post in this thread what
happens!
Are there any other commercial tools that might work if this one doesn't?

Russ Valentine said:
Two suggestions:
1. Use the Inbox Repair Tool on this file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227/en-us
2. Never rely on image files to back up important data files, especially
highly proprietary files like Outlook's data files.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
message
I did not repair the file. How can I do that?

I do not have any other backups. Just this PST file that I am working
with.

How do you suggest I proceed?

:

Did you repair the file? Did you create and keep a valid backup?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
message
Still no reply from anyone on this. So the bottom line is that
there
is
nothing I can do?

:

in
message
The full story:

1. Backed up PST file.
2. Reloaded XP
3. Installed Outlook 2007.
4. Chose file, open and browsed to the PST file.
5. Data is now back, but all contacts are sitting in deleted
items
folder.
6. I move contacts back to contacts folder, and they reappear as
normal,
but phone number and email address is missing.


Then there's a problem with the "backed-up" pst file. How did you
make
this
"back-up"?
 
Ad

Advertisements

Z

zorastalin

I think your PST is corrupted or some of PST items are deleted. You can do one thing, Run Inbox Repair tool to fix PST corruption. Yet you are unable to import PST file after repairing process then PCVITA Recover Outlook will help you to do your task.
Product Overview: http://www.pcvita.com/recover-outlook.html
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

Outlook (PST) File Not Closing Correctly 2
Importing outlook .pst file 1
Importing Outlook PST files 1
PST import 1
Importing .pst 8
Importing .pst 5
Import .PST? 1
importing a pst 1

Top