Outlook Lost mails after PC crash

Nelson5

Hi,

This is my firts post. Seem to me this is the best site for help.

It is hard to write my problem but i´ll try :)

I am trying to input a PST file on Outlook after a recoverd lost files
recover. I used lots of programs and none did the job. All says that it
is not a valid PSt file :(

I even used scanpst.exe file but no e-mail apeared.

The file has 1.3 GB (not yet 2 GB for problem).

I need something or some helpful person so i can recover my pst file.
Help i'll be grateful.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

Nelson5

i saw those 3 links but did no good for me :S

I used Partition magic to resize a drive and stupity of me forced to
stop the process.

Result the drive of Documents (where the PST was located) became to
"unlocated drive" which became from NTFS to PQRP.

I managed to recover the files but what i most need is the PST file. So
i copy from the recovered one and tried scanpst which after doing 3
times became recognized as a pst file on Outlook, but no mail inside
:(

The PST remains 1.3 GB. So I tried to compat the file and it goes down
to more or less 245 KB (remainig no mail)

I don't know which is the best software to recover PST file and the
chepest.

Can you help me Russ Valentine, or anybody ?

'Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook said:
;311227']I understand English is not your first language, but you've
done fine so
far. Can you tell us how you created this PST file, how your
transferred it,
and how you are trying to access it?
Instructions on how to migrate Outlook data are posted here frequently.

Here's a repeat:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Nelson5" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Please anybody ? The Outlook is not Express. It is XP.

Nelson5;311196 Wrote:-
Hi,

This is my firts post. Seem to me this is the best site for help.

It is hard to write my problem but i´ll try :)

I am trying to input a PST file on Outlook after a recoverd lost
files
recover. I used lots of programs and none did the job. All says that
it
is not a valid PSt file :(

I even used scanpst.exe file but no e-mail apeared.

The file has 1.3 GB (not yet 2 GB for problem).

I need something or some helpful person so i can recover my pst file.
Help i'll be grateful.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.-

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

when you open the repaired pst in outlook using file, open, outlook data
file, do you see any folders in the pst (use the folder list view - ctrl+6
in outlook 2003/2007)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

Nelson5

Yes, it see as PST file. I use Outlook 2002. When I chouse the pst it
says:

"The file ..... is not a personal folder file. "

Someone i know told me to try newer version and try to import, but i do
not think it will resolve my problem.

'Diane Poremsky [MVP said:
;311292']when you open the repaired pst in outlook using file, open,
[...]

Gordon

Nelson5 said:
Yes, it see as PST file. I use Outlook 2002. When I chouse the pst it
says:

"The file ..... is not a personal folder file. "

And where is this pst file that you are trying to open located? If it's on a
CD or DVD then you need to copy it to your HDD and remove the Read-Only
attribute.
If it is already on your HDD, then check the read-only attribute is off. If
it is, you need to tell us how this pst was created.

Someone i know told me to try newer version and try to import, but i do
not think it will resolve my problem.

Newer version of what? And importing is NEVER the way to transfer data from
one Outlook to another UNLESS you are moving from Exchange server.

Duncan McC

And where is this pst file that you are trying to open located? If it's on a
CD or DVD then you need to copy it to your HDD and remove the Read-Only
attribute.
If it is already on your HDD, then check the read-only attribute is off. If
it is, you need to tell us how this pst was created.

Newer version of what? And importing is NEVER the way to transfer data from
one Outlook to another UNLESS you are moving from Exchange server.

Even then, open the PST (File, Open) - IMO, I would never user the
import function moving to or from Exchange Server. Just open the PST,
and drag n' drop between the Exchange Server folders and the PST folders
(using the right mouse button to be safe and 'copy' rather than 'move' -
ie get a context sensitive choice).

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

so outlook won't open it? I assume trying to import gets you a similar error
and a new version of outlook won't make a difference.
did you try scanpst alternating it with scandisk.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

'Diane Poremsky [MVP said:
[...]

Yes I tied that way.

I tried doing as in www.slipstick.com that says:

"For seriously corrupted PST files, try running Scandisk.exe (look
under Programs | Accessories | System Tools) first, then Scanpst.exe,
repeating 3-4 times until neither program returns an error."

But i do not have scandisk.exe.

I do not have exchange. Only Windows XP and Outlook 2002.

;311444']so outlook won't open it? I assume trying to import gets you a

Nelson5 said:
But i do not have scandisk.exe.

Do Start-My Computer. Right-Click on C drive, choose Properties. Click on
Tools and click on "Check Now" in the Error checking section...

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

But i do not have scandisk.exe.

SCANDISK.EXE hasn't been used since Windows 98 and ME, I think. For NTFS file
systems, use CHKDSK.EXE. That's what gets run when you open My Computer,
right-click a disk, choose Properties, select the Tools tab, then click "Check
Now".

Nelson5

My disk where th data was located became "pqrp". I managed to recover
the pst file but unable to open on outlook.

So no good for me to try scandisk where the data was not located.

Is there a way to recover old and serious corrupted pst to a new pst ?
For me no matter if some the information IN the pst file are incorrect.
Hope to at least recover most of it.

'Gordon[_6_ said:
;311649']"Nelson5" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

But i do not have scandisk.exe.-

Do Start-My Computer. Right-Click on C drive, choose Properties. Click
on
Tools and click on "Check Now" in the Error checking section...

Nelson5

Anybody here can help me ?

Nelson5;311664 said:
My disk where th data was located became "pqrp". I managed to recover
the pst file but unable to open on outlook.

So no good for me to try scandisk where the data was not located.

Is there a way to recover old and serious corrupted pst to a new pst ?
For me no matter if some the information IN the pst file are incorrect.
Hope to at least recover most of it.

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

Is there a way to recover old and serious corrupted pst to a new pst ?
For me no matter if some the information IN the pst file are incorrect.
Hope to at least recover most of it.

If the PST is "seriously corrupted", SCANPST may have some problems with it as
well. If the data is important, one of the commercially-available PST
recovery tools may do a better job. Start here:
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.asp

Nelson5

Did that, no luck :(

'Gordon[_6_ said:
;311862']"Nelson5" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Anybody here can help me ?
-

Try copying the pst file to another machine with Outlook on it and
running
scanpst there.....

Duncan McC

Did you see Brian's post? ...

Subject: Re: Outlook Lost mails after PC crash
From: Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 07:55:52 -0400

Is there a way to recover old and serious corrupted pst to a new pst ?
For me no matter if some the information IN the pst file are incorrect.
Hope to at least recover most of it.

If the PST is "seriously corrupted", SCANPST may have some problems with
it as
well. If the data is important, one of the commercially-available PST
recovery tools may do a better job. Start here:
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.asp

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

If stellar's recovery program can't recover it and says its too far gone,
then its most likely too far gone - the only way to recover the messages is
if you have a good backup. Most of the recovery programs have trials that
recover a few files so you can see if they work - you could try them, but I
doubt you'll find one that does it.

See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.asp for the list of recovery
utilities.

--