Outlook Express

torbar

Evening

I was trying to find the current version of Outlook Epxress that has been
released. I ciould not find it on the MS product site. Does anyone know what
the current version number is?

I was searching for that information due to this problem.

I receive an email in Outlook Express that has a pps (Powerpoint file)
attached. Outlook Express indicates that there is not a file association for
the pps file extensions. Powerpoint viewer is installed (latest version). If
I save the pps file, I can activate the Viweer and it will display the
slides. If I click on the pps file, then the viewer will activate and
display the slides.

Is there any changes in Outlook Express that will permit the display of the
pps file? Outlook Express is executing on the XP Media Center version of
Windows

On another PC with either XP PRofessional or Vista, I can open the same pps
file within Outlook.

Thanks

Bob

Jack

On another PC with either XP PRofessional or Vista, I can open the same
pps
file within Outlook.

Thanks

Bob

And this computer is running what?
Windows 3.11 ?

Jack

Bruce Hagen

The current version depends on your Windows version. EG: If you are running
XP/SP2, in OE, go to Help | About and scroll down to msoe.dll and see what
numbers are shown. If you are fully patched, you will see: 6.00.2900.3138.
If you are running a different OS, the numbers will be different, so we need
to know.

If you are up to date at Windows Updates, try this:

Save the attachment to your HDD. Right click on it and Open With | Choose
Program. Find and choose a program that works, (Power Point Viewer), and
then check the box: Always use this program to open this kind of file. This
should enable you to open these attachments in the future.

Also see this, if it applies:

There is a conflict with PPS and XP/SP2. See this link for a fix:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ppsopen.htm

________________

Outlook Express General Newsgroup:

Outlook Express 6 Newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress-- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP Outlook Express Imperial Beach, CA"torbar" <[email protected]> wrote in messageEvening>> I was trying to find the current version of Outlook Epxress that has been> released. I ciould not find it on the MS product site. Does anyone knowwhat> the current version number is?>> I was searching for that information due to this problem.>> I receive an email in Outlook Express that has a pps (Powerpoint file)> attached. Outlook Express indicates that there is not a file associationfor> the pps file extensions. Powerpoint viewer is installed (latest version).If> I save the pps file, I can activate the Viweer and it will display the> slides. If I click on the pps file, then the viewer will activate and> display the slides.>> Is there any changes in Outlook Express that will permit the display ofthe> pps file? Outlook Express is executing on the XP Media Center version of> Windows>> On another PC with either XP PRofessional or Vista, I can open the samepps> file within Outlook.>> Thanks>> Bob> --> torbar

torbar

Jack

Per my note, I am running Windows XP Media Center edition. As far as I know
this is the XP Media Center 2002 edition. I forgot to add that Windows
Update is automatic and all optionally Windows Updates have been applied.

torbar

Hi Buce

I had posted a more complete reply with an answer to each suggestion but IE
indicated a Page Time out.

Simple answer: The third suggestion worked.

Thank you very much. The assitance is greatly appeciated.

--
torbar

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress-- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP Outlook Express Imperial Beach, CA"torbar" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...> Evening>> I was trying to find the current version of Outlook Epxress that has been> released. I ciould not find it on the MS product site. Does anyone knowwhat> the current version number is?>> I was searching for that information due to this problem.>> I receive an email in Outlook Express that has a pps (Powerpoint file)> attached. Outlook Express indicates that there is not a file associationfor> the pps file extensions. Powerpoint viewer is installed (latest version).If> I save the pps file, I can activate the Viweer and it will display the> slides. If I click on the pps file, then the viewer will activate and> display the slides.>> Is there any changes in Outlook Express that will permit the display
ofthe> pps file? Outlook Express is executing on the XP Media Center version of> Windows>> On another PC with either XP PRofessional or Vista, I can open the samepps> file within Outlook.>> Thanks>> Bob> --> torbar

torbar

Bruce

I was counting the directions as to where to find ther msoe.dll version
number as a suggestion. I treced that and my immediate thought was it would
have been nice to copy/paste or to be able to save a copy to a file.

Once again, thanks for the assistance.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Most Cumulative Updates for OE will give you a newer version of MSOE.DLL, so
it may not be worth your while. Then again, who knows if there'll ever be
another update for OE?

In any event, errors in MSOE.DLL point to problems with your message store,
not the file itself.

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [not available in SP2] and frequently
perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
OE-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

torbar

Hi PA Bear

Do the same concepts that you identified for OE apply to Outlokk iteslf?

--
torbar

PA Bear said:
[...]

Perhaps. Outlook and Outlook Express are 2 different applications.
[...]

You're welcome. (I only gave two solutions though). <w>
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

: