Outlook constantly synchronizing folders

Chris

Hi all,
I have brand new Lenovo T61p with Vista Ultimate and Office 2007, with all
applicable updates installed.
Outlook is configured via RPC over HTTPS to Exchange 2003, it works, but I
have all the times in systray icon symbolizing synchronization. Also,
notitification about new mail is not always working. I created new clean
profile for Outlook and tried to disable most addons, but it changed
nothing.
Problem is maybe not critical but for sure very annoying. On the old laptop
I have also Outlook 2007 but with Windows XP and it works fine there.
Any thought what can I do to fix that?

Thanks,
Chris

ABS, Inc.

Chris, I dont have an answer for you but I'm wondering if this indicator
started to appear after the latest round of updates (7/8/2008)? And if you
put your cursor over the icon (not clicking) does it go back to normal?
(Outlook version 12.0.6316.5000 SP1)

It does not seem to appear to interfere with anything just more of a display
issue.

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Chris,

First, please check the outlook status bar (on the right bottom of the Outlook window). Is it saying "all folders are up to date" or
"sending/receiving 95%"?

If it stops on "sending/receiving 95%", it may be something wrong with the synchronization. Please click it and choose Detail to show the
send/receive details. Does it stop at sending or receiving? Please empty the Outbox folder and the Inbox folder. And then restart outlook to test
the isuse.

When the outlook status bar says "All folders are up to date", the outlook icon in the system tray still says "Outlook is synchronizing folders".
Based on my research, there is a known issue in Windows Vista and Outlook 2007. Such an issue may begin after you install the update/hotfix
950282 or 950485. The bug number is "OfficeQFE.21944 OL2007 - Notification icon not updating properly (regression from 21309)". Our product
team is working on it. When it is available, it may be a Office update, you can install it via the Microsoft Update site.

Thanks so much for your understanding.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

Chris

Hi Emily,
Looks like all folders are in sync, so it is just cosmetic issue. I'll be
waiting for fix.
Thanks for your time,
best,
chris

"Emily Lin [MSFT]" said:
[...]

rights.

--------------------
From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
Subject: Outlook constantly synchronizing folders
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 13:02:50 +0200
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

Hi all,
I have brand new Lenovo T61p with Vista Ultimate and Office 2007, with all
applicable updates installed.
Outlook is configured via RPC over HTTPS to Exchange 2003, it works, but I
have all the times in systray icon symbolizing synchronization. Also,
notitification about new mail is not always working. I created new clean
profile for Outlook and tried to disable most addons, but it changed
nothing.
Problem is maybe not critical but for sure very annoying. On the old
laptop
I have also Outlook 2007 but with Windows XP and it works fine there.
Any thought what can I do to fix that?

Thanks,
Chris

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Chris,

If you meet issue in future please feel free to post in our Online Technical Community. You're always welcome!

Have a nice day!

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 13:02:50 +0200
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

Hi all,
I have brand new Lenovo T61p with Vista Ultimate and Office 2007, with all
applicable updates installed.
Outlook is configured via RPC over HTTPS to Exchange 2003, it works, but I
have all the times in systray icon symbolizing synchronization. Also,
notitification about new mail is not always working. I created new clean
profile for Outlook and tried to disable most addons, but it changed
nothing.
Problem is maybe not critical but for sure very annoying. On the old
laptop
I have also Outlook 2007 but with Windows XP and it works fine there.
Any thought what can I do to fix that?

Thanks,
Chris

Paul

I have just started seeing this, too. I seems to me that it started after Windows Update installed some updates on 9 July (indeed, the date Chris first posted his observation, and he may have gotten his updates on July 8 -- I am in Europe and we seem to get them a day later...), updates that included an Outlook one (KB952142)plus several Vista ones... (I'm running Office 2007 SP1 on Vista SP1).

My guess is that this results from one of the July 8-9 updates, probably the Outlook one but perhaps one of the Vista ones..

Paul

Paul here again -- just noticed that I have EXACTLY the same setup as Chris, and I quote: "Lenovo T61p with Vista Ultimate and Office 2007, with all applicable updates installed. Outlook is configured via RPC over HTTPS to Exchange 2003" That's me, too. Hmm....

ProtocolOH

Paul said:
I have just started seeing this, too. I seems to me that it started after Windows Update installed some updates on 9 July (indeed, the date Chris first posted his observation, and he may have gotten his updates on July 8 -- I am in Europe and we seem to get them a day later...), updates that included an Outlook one (KB952142)plus several Vista ones... (I'm running Office 2007 SP1 on Vista SP1).

My guess is that this results from one of the July 8-9 updates, probably the Outlook one but perhaps one of the Vista ones..

I concur. I have a Dell Latitude D830 running WinXP SP3 fully patched, and
running Office 2007 SP1 (fully patched). About a week ago, I started
noticing that the system tray icon was constantly showing synchronization.
If I hovered my mouse over the icon, it would often flicker back to the
"regular" Outlook icon, then the "synchronizing" icon would pop up again a
few seconds later. This definitely started about a week ago; I've never
noticed it before, and I keep a pretty good watch on my system. I would have
to suspect that the last Patch Tuesday changed something.

marmel

Getting the same behavior here too. Desktop vista box on a domain. Issue
started just a few weeks ago as other have reported. Confirming appears to be
cosmetic.

massimiliano.rizzi

Hello Emily,

We have just started seeing this issue in our company (we're running Office
2007 SP1 fully patched on Vista SP1 fully patched and Exchange 2007 SP1 fully
patched).

The outlook status bar says "All folders are up to date", while the outlook
icon in the system tray still says "Outlook is synchronizing folders".

Do you have any updates for this issue ?

Thank you and have a great day!

Regards,
Massimiliano

From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 13:02:50 +0200
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

Hi all,
I have brand new Lenovo T61p with Vista Ultimate and Office 2007, with all
applicable updates installed.
Outlook is configured via RPC over HTTPS to Exchange 2003, it works, but I
have all the times in systray icon symbolizing synchronization. Also,
notitification about new mail is not always working. I created new clean
profile for Outlook and tried to disable most addons, but it changed
nothing.
Problem is maybe not critical but for sure very annoying. On the old laptop
I have also Outlook 2007 but with Windows XP and it works fine there.
Any thought what can I do to fix that?

Thanks,
Chris

Jack

Emily, we encountered the exact same thing here. On approximately 100
workstations. Clearly this is a cosmetic issue, but that doesn't stop the
calls coming in. Is there any kind of hotfix available from MS or an ETA for
a final fix that will be made available on WSUS and/or Windows Update?

Jack

From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 13:02:50 +0200
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

Hi all,
I have brand new Lenovo T61p with Vista Ultimate and Office 2007, with all
applicable updates installed.
Outlook is configured via RPC over HTTPS to Exchange 2003, it works, but I
have all the times in systray icon symbolizing synchronization. Also,
notitification about new mail is not always working. I created new clean
profile for Outlook and tried to disable most addons, but it changed
nothing.
Problem is maybe not critical but for sure very annoying. On the old laptop
I have also Outlook 2007 but with Windows XP and it works fine there.
Any thought what can I do to fix that?

Thanks,
Chris

John

This is NOT a "cosmetic" issue.

For the last few weeks, Outlook stalls while that icon shows syncing is in progress. I am having this issue even on my standalone that is NOT on Exchange, just POP.

I left it stalled for an overnight check and it stayed at 73% all night with the syncing icon still going.

Task Manager shows Outlook as "Not Responding."

If I close Outlook, the icon stays on the systray. When I hover over the icon (after Outlook closes) the icon disappears.

When I restart Outlook, it forces a check (which takes a considerable amount of time). Then, it works well.

Why some are stating that this is "cosmetic" is beyond me. This is a time consuming irritation.

Frank

I dont believe the issue to be "cosmetic" either. We have roughly 70 workstations connected to a domain, running a mixture of XP SP3 and Vista SP1 with E2k7 SP1 / Outlook 2007 ( Office Enterprise ) and all patches up to date. We also have roughly 50 RPC over HTTPS ( Exchange Anywhere ) running. All seem to be having this issue.

We are noticing lagg in Office due to this. It can take anywhere from 3 to 50 seconds for an e-mail to open once clicking on it. Of course, we are getting a TON of calls on it for the annoyance of it.

It would be great if we could get some kind of explination and a ETA on a fix, just so we have something to pass off to our end users. Too much silence from the I.T. Department has most end users in front of our office with tourches and pitch forks! :)

Nancy OLeary

This is not something just from July. I did not have these problems running
Office 2007 on XP. But it started immediately with Vista.

It only does this when I try to send. I can get one or two emails sent
before it the icon starts flipping around in my tray...and then none of the
emails show that they've been sent. I can only get this to stop by deleting
the email from the Outbox. Sometimes, one or two persons will actually
receive the email, but not all.

Kheldan

Emily,

Any update on this odd issue? Is there any workaround???

It appears to indeed be cosmetic but still very annoying to say the least!

Anybody figure out a workaround to this?

Thx,

Kheldan

From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 13:02:50 +0200
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

Hi all,
I have brand new Lenovo T61p with Vista Ultimate and Office 2007, with all
applicable updates installed.
Outlook is configured via RPC over HTTPS to Exchange 2003, it works, but I
have all the times in systray icon symbolizing synchronization. Also,
notitification about new mail is not always working. I created new clean
profile for Outlook and tried to disable most addons, but it changed
nothing.
Problem is maybe not critical but for sure very annoying. On the old laptop
I have also Outlook 2007 but with Windows XP and it works fine there.
Any thought what can I do to fix that?

Thanks,
Chris

Daniel Wilkins

I'd like to add that I am experiencing this too, although fortunately I'm the only one running Office 2007 as I haven't rolled it out to our company yet.

I am running XP 64-bit SP2 (no SP3 available yet!), so it's not an SP3 issue. I don't seem to be suffering any lag but I've got a high-spec workstation so may not notice if there were any.

I have a fresh build too*, and have only had the machine running a week so it's not loaded with a load of old software which could cause the problem.

*Went back to XP from putting up with Vista for nearly 2 years. XP rocks.

dmilette

Anybody here figure out a fix for this annoying display issue?

I'm still experiencing this. Everything works A1 but the display of the
notification icon just gets stuck.... passing the cursor over it a bit
unlocks it for a while.

Is there a specific hot fix we could uninstall to make it work properly
again? Is Microsoft aware of this bug? I have a few machines displaying this
new behavior.

If anybody has anything to share I'd like to hear it.

Thanks,

David M.

dmilette

I've simply opted for now to always hide the outlook icon from the
notification area. I still get the new mail notification icon (enveloppe)
when new mail is delivered and I no longer see the silly false synch icon get
stuck. Only inconvenience is I need to not hide when minimized as the icon is
no longer in the notification area.

I'm still hoping that Microsoft will address this issue a past hotfix broke...

dmilette

Hello to all,

I have found the culprit to this issue... it is KB952142 fix (the irony is
that this fix's description is as follows: This update (KB952142) resolves an
issue where Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 behaves unexpectedly in some
circumstances!

It is a known issue by Microsoft and they are looking at releasing a new KB
fix by end of month to resolve it. In the interim, if you wish for this issue
to go away, simply unistall KB952142 and all is well once more with Outlook.

I hope this helps,

David M.