Outlook Connector Problem with Outlook 2007 and Windows 7

Frank Kay

I have previously used Outlook 2003 on XP machine to access my Windows Live email (set up using Outlook Connector) without problems. Have a new machine (Windows 7 and Outlook 2007) and can?t get it to work. I get error ?An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available?. Looking at various forums, it looked like this used to be a common problem before Outlook Connector but I can?t see anything about the problem when using it.

I tried setting things up the hard way
Incoming mail server (POP3): pop3.live.com.
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.live.com .
My Server Requires Authentication: selected
Use Same Settings as My Incoming Mail Server: selected.
This server requires a secure connection: selected
Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
Incoming mail port: 995
Outgoing mail port 25

Test setting gives error ?Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) email server error 0x8004210B?

I?ve found old articles on this error but all the problems were supposedly fixed years ago.

If I save the setting anyway, incoming email works OK but I can?t send any email

I read somewhere that outgoing mail port 587 may work, but I get error ?your server does not support the connection type you specified? when I tried this

Anyone have any ideas

thanks

Integrate Windows Live ID Authentication with ASP.NET Membership, Profiles and Roles
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...9-fbcb8e17ef3a/integrate-windows-live-id.aspx

Frank Kay

Thanks, but I was using Outlook Connector when I got the original message (with hindsight my post wasn't clear). I tried doing it the hard way afterwards.

Roady [MVP] wrote:

If you are setting this up as a POP3 account, you are not using the
04-Feb-10

If you are setting this up as a POP3 account, you are not using the Outloo
Connector
You can download it here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?FamilyID=9a2279b1-df0a-46e1-aa93-7d4870871ec

-
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook
http://www.howto-outlook.com
Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and mor

http://www.msoutlook.info
Real World Questions, Real World Answer

-----

SmartPhone Programming Links
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...8-26eff7caa2ca/smartphone-programming-li.aspx

Roady [MVP]

Do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook?
Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'd
still be sufficiently protected by your on-access scanner part of the virus
scanner. For more details see;
http://www.msoutlook.info/question/20

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

I have previously used Outlook 2003 on XP machine to access my Windows Live
email (set up using Outlook Connector) without problems. Have a new machine
(Windows 7 and Outlook 2007) and can?t get it to work. I get error ?An
encrypted connection to your mail server is not available?. Looking at
various forums, it looked like this used to be a common problem before
Outlook Connector but I can?t see anything about the problem when using it.

I tried setting things up the hard way
Incoming mail server (POP3): pop3.live.com.
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.live.com .
My Server Requires Authentication: selected
Use Same Settings as My Incoming Mail Server: selected.
This server requires a secure connection: selected
Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
Incoming mail port: 995
Outgoing mail port 25

These are POP account settings, not Outlook Connector settings. Try using
port 587 on the outgoing server. Also, for Outlook 2007, the "Use the
following type of encrypted connection" should be "AUTO", according to
<http://windowslivehelp.com/solution...your-e-mail-account-to-microsoft-outlook.aspx>

Frank Kay

Thanks again, but no joy.

To recap
initially I tried Outlook Connector and got the
'An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available?' error.

I tried setting up as POP3 as I'd read on one forum that
that was the way to set things up before Outlook Connector (I thought Connector used pop3 but perhaps it doesn't).

I had already tried using port 587, but I get error ?your server does not support the connection type you specified?.

I tried setting encryption to Auto as you suggested but it didn't make any difference - incomming email is OK but outgoing email fails 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) email server error 0x80042109?.

Thanks again

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

These are POP account settings, not Outlook Connector settings.
04-Feb-10

These are POP account settings, not Outlook Connector settings. Try usin
port 587 on the outgoing server. Also, for Outlook 2007, the "Use th
following type of encrypted connection" should be "AUTO", according t
<http://windowslivehelp.com/solution...your-e-mail-account-to-microsoft-outlook.aspx
-
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Preventing extra HTML Content in File Downloads
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...e-f3dcccf496ad/preventing-extra-html-con.aspx

Frank Kay

Realised after I sent the previous reply that I didn't try port 587 & auto at the same time!

When I did all is well.

thanks again

Frank Kay wrote:

Outlook to live email
04-Feb-10

Thanks again, but no joy.

To recap
initially I tried Outlook Connector and got the
'An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available?' error.

I tried setting up as POP3 as I'd read on one forum that
that was the way to set things up before Outlook Connector (I thought Connector used pop3 but perhaps it doesn't).

I had already tried using port 587, but I get error ?your server does not support the connection type you specified?.

I tried setting encryption to Auto as you suggested but it didn't make any difference - incomming email is OK but outgoing email fails 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) email server error 0x80042109?.

Thanks again

Searching Active Directory For Users and Groups
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...8-d7a24fe7e0e1/searching-active-director.aspx

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Realised after I sent the previous reply that I didn't try port 587 & auto
at the same time!

When I did all is well.

thanks again

You're welcome. Please don't change the subject of the message when you post,
which you did four times in a row. It can screw up the thread and make it
nearly impossible to follow.

Tom Willett

: <Frank Kay> wrote in message :
: > Realised after I sent the previous reply that I didn't try port 587 &
auto
: > at the same time!
: >
: > When I did all is well.
: >
: > thanks again
:
: You're welcome. Please don't change the subject of the message when you
post,
: which you did four times in a row. It can screw up the thread and make it
: nearly impossible to follow.
: --
: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

That's the way Egghead Cafe works, Brian...

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

That's the way Egghead Cafe works, Brian...

Sigh! Yes, I know, put there are steps people can take to combat it, short of
abandoning Egghead Cafe, which is the better plan.

Bob I

Brian said:
Sigh! Yes, I know, put there are steps people can take to combat it,
short of abandoning Egghead Cafe, which is the better plan.

Do you suppose it is coincidence that an egg is only a single cell?