Outlook closes unexpectedly

G

Outlook has encounterd a problem and needs to close unexpectedly. eror
appname:blush:ulook.exe Modname: ntdll.dll

This is happening every few minutes. Can anybody help?

S

Scott Atkins[MSFT]

Hi,

The problem you are experiencing can be caused by a corrupt program files or a corrupt Outlook profile. I suggest you first run a "Detect and Repair" of Outlook, and then create a new
Outlook profile if the problem still exists.

Step 1: Repair Outlook 2003

Outlook 2003 takes full advantage of the self-repairing features that are offered by the Microsoft Windows Installer. If a resource that you must have to open an email is missing, such as a
file or registry key, the Windows Installer detects the missing resource and repairs the program.

1. Start Outlook 2003 program.
2. On the Help menu, click Detect and Repair.
3. In the Detect and Repair dialog box, do any of the following:

(a) Click to select the Restore my shortcuts while repairing check box. By default, this check box is selected. If you select the Restore my shortcuts while repairing option, Detect and
Repair will keep your custom Office shortcuts. If you do not select this option, Detect and Repair will remove your custom Office shortcuts.

(b) Click to select the Discard my customized settings and restore default settings check box. If you select the Discard my customized settings and restore default settings option, Detect
and Repair will set the following back to the state that they appeared in when you first installed Office:

- The Assistant character selection.
- Most-recently-used entries on the File menu will be removed.
- The size of the program window for all programs.
- Menu and toolbar position and any customizations.
- The security level for each program.
- View settings in the program, such as the Calendar view in Outlook.
- You must re-enter your User Name and Initials when you restart your Office programs.

4. Click Start.
5. Make sure all your Microsoft Office programs are closed.
6. After the repair process has completed, click OK.
7. Restart your computer.

Step 2: Create a new profile in Outlook 2003.

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Switch to Classic View, and then double-click Mail.
3. In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles.
4. On the General tab, click Prompt for a profile to be used, and then click Add.
5. In the Profile Name box, type a descriptive name for the new e-mail profile, and then click OK.
6. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, click Add a new e-mail account, and then click Next.
7. Click the appropriate server type for your new e-mail account, and then click Next.
8. Type your account information in the required boxes, and then click Next.
9. Click Finish, and then click OK.

Step 3: To configure Outlook 2003 to start with the new profile.

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Switch to Classic View, and then double-click Mail.
3. On the General tab, click Always use this profile under When starting Microsoft Office Outlook, use this profile.
4. In the Always use this profile list, click the profile that you want to use, and then click OK.

For more information regarding Outlook profiles, please refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 829918 at:
<http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829918>

Regards,

Scott Atkins MCSE, MCSA
Partner Technical Lead - Outlook
Microsoft Technical Support
for Platforms and Business Applications
--------------------

Ask a Question