Outlook Archiving

David J. Terway

Is it possible to make Outlok 2003 AutoArchive a PST folder rather
than an Exchange server mailbox? In other words, I use Outlook 2003 to
retrieve my POP mail from my ISP. I never connect to an Exchange
server. What I would like is for Outlook to AutoArchive my local PST
file to another local PST file. In other words, I'd like old messages
in my Outlook.pst file to be archived to Archive.pst. I used to do
this in Outlook97. Is it possible in Outlook 2003? I'd greatly
appreciate it if you could also e-mail me any responses to
(e-mail address removed) (remove the "no_spam") in addition to
posting here, but of course I'll understand if you don't have time for
all that! Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.
I did look for an answer in the existing posts, but had no luck.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Any folder can be set to autoarchive on the Properties dialog for the
folder. It works the same in all versions of Outlook.

David J. Terway

You seem to have missed my point. I do not connect to an exchange
server. I want to autoarchive messages already stored locally on my
machine in a PST file to another locally stored PST file. Is it
possible? If so, how?

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

I didn't miss your point at all. Archiving doesn't care whether the source
of the data is an Exchange mailbox or a .pst file. It works the same
regardless. You set your default AutoArchive options in Tools | Options |
Other | AutoArchive and different folder options on the Properties dialog
for the folder.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Any folder can be set to autoarchive on the Properties dialog for the
folder. It works the same in all versions of Outlook.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Have you checked the Modified date of the items and compared it to your
autoarchive setting? It's possible you don't have any items old enough to
archive.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

David J. Terway said:
Well, it doesn't work. Any ideas? I am aware of global vs.
individual folder settings. Nothing is being archived, manually or
automatically.

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
I didn't miss your point at all. Archiving doesn't care whether the source
of the data is an Exchange mailbox or a .pst file. It works the same
regardless. You set your default AutoArchive options in Tools | Options |
Other | AutoArchive and different folder options on the Properties dialog
for the folder.

David J. Terway

That's it! But that sucks! I don't want to archive by the "modified"
date, I want to archive by the "received" date. Can I do that? If not,
can I somehow make the modified date match the received date? Oh, and
thanks so much for assisting me in this matter!

David J. Terway said:
Well, it doesn't work. Any ideas? I am aware of global vs.
individual folder settings. Nothing is being archived, manually or
automatically.

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
I didn't miss your point at all. Archiving doesn't care whether the source
of the data is an Exchange mailbox or a .pst file. It works the same
regardless. You set your default AutoArchive options in Tools | Options
Other | AutoArchive and different folder options on the Properties dialog
for the folder.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

You can manually copy items to your archive .pst file, but the automatic
archiving always uses the Modified date.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of