Outlook and Outlook Express

Ok, I am in the dark ages and didn't know that they (Outlook and Outlook
Express) are different programs. Is one preferable or safer than the other?
How are they different?

David Candy

Outlook comes from MS Mail and Schedule+. It can't do internet. It does corporate email, calandars, workflow forms, etc.
Outlook Express is a application designed for the internet. Previously known as MS Internet Mail and News.

When the internet took off MS needed OL to do the internet so home users could be tricked into buying it - so OL uses OE to get the mail. OE got a name change from MSIMN to Outlook Express (with the release of Internet Explorer 4) for marketing reasons. Office, not Windows, is MS's monney spinner.

OL requires thousands of dollars in servers, server software, and Exchange server to work properly (and technical staff to run it) else it is really crippled. OE requires an ISP at a few bucks a month.

OL has better email organising features for it's coporate clients. OL is also a PIM (Appointments etc).

David Candy

OL 98 was free. OL 97 (the first OL replacing Schedule+) was such a dog MS had to give away 98. It was a dog too. For me I had to wait 20 minutes after I decided to go home to when it exited so I could shut down the computer.

I administered OL2000 without an exchange server. The company begged me to turn off all the features that they originally wanted. Without an Exchange Server OL sends email to the other OLs on the network (like person A has booked a meeting with you next week). But everyone needed to know everyone's else schedule. The workers wanted to know when new mail arrived. So they were constantly harrassed by dings of invisible mail arriving which meant they stoopped working, checked their mail to find nothing, and lost track of where they were. They went back to a whiteboard.

How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message Outlook comes from MS Mail and Schedule+. It can't do internet. It does corporate email, calandars, workflow forms, etc.
Outlook Express is a application designed for the internet. Previously known as MS Internet Mail and News.

When the internet took off MS needed OL to do the internet so home users could be tricked into buying it - so OL uses OE to get the mail. OE got a name change from MSIMN to Outlook Express (with the release of Internet Explorer 4) for marketing reasons. Office, not Windows, is MS's monney spinner.

OL requires thousands of dollars in servers, server software, and Exchange server to work properly (and technical staff to run it) else it is really crippled. OE requires an ISP at a few bucks a month.

OL has better email organising features for it's coporate clients. OL is also a PIM (Appointments etc).

Ok, I think I better use Outlook express. How do I get rid of the Outlook
feature in my Windows 2000? My computer keeps thinking it's the default mail
funtion. Can I selectively uninstall a feature of Oddice, or do I have to
uninstall all of Office, restart and then do a custom install?

Gordon

angelapf said:
Ok, I think I better use Outlook express. How do I get rid of the
Outlook feature in my Windows 2000? My computer keeps thinking it's
the default mail funtion. Can I selectively uninstall a feature of
Oddice, or do I have to uninstall all of Office, restart and then do
a custom install?

Yep - you can selectively uninstall parts of Office.

Bruce Chambers

angelapf said:
Ok, I am in the dark ages and didn't know that they (Outlook and Outlook
Express) are different programs. Is one preferable or safer than the other?
How are they different?

Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;257824

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Bruce Chambers

David said:
Outlook comes from MS Mail and Schedule+. It can't do internet.

That's incorrect. Outlook can easily be configured to access POP3 servers.

....It does corporate email, calandars, workflow forms, etc.
Outlook Express is a application designed for the internet. Previously known as MS Internet Mail and News.

When the internet took off MS needed OL to do the internet so home users could be tricked into buying it - so OL uses OE to get the mail. OE got a name change from MSIMN to Outlook Express (with the release of Internet Explorer 4) for marketing reasons. Office, not Windows, is MS's monney spinner.

OL requires thousands of dollars in servers, server software, and Exchange server to work properly (and technical staff to run it) else it is really crippled. OE requires an ISP at a few bucks a month.

Only in a corporate environment; no so for the home users.

OL has better email organising features for it's coporate clients. OL is also a PIM (Appointments etc).

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

PopS

Candy, I don't know what you're on about here, but your post,
besides not being useful to the poster, contains minsinformation
which negates its entire usefulness.

Please go back to sleep for awhile

--
Ain't nuttin' new
in the worl'

[...]

Basically, they will each give you the same thing. Outlook is
fully integrated into the operating system and has conntections
to most other microsoft software such as word, excel, etc. that
Outlook Express does not have.
Outlook Express is best considered a leaner, meaner version of
Outlook that uses fewer resources and is better dedicated to
overall email/newsgroup usage.
Outlook Express will give you better control over your emails
as you learn more about them, but Outlook is better at letting
you, say, decided to email an Word document you're writing to
someone else. With Outlook Express you'd have to save the Word
file first, and then insert it into your email to send it.
In general, OUtlook Express is better for email and will also
perform as a newsreader if you're into reading newsgroups like
this. Outlook will not do that.
One great feature of Outlook is its calendar and journal
functions, in my case. So I use both; Outlook for system work,
and Outlook Express for email. Most of the time you could use
either one; they will live together very well and even import
each other's address books, etc..

Reading the Help in each one will be informational for you. Or
even look them up online at Microsoft or Google.

HTH,
Pop

Ken Blake

Ok, I am in the dark ages and didn't know that they (Outlook and Outlook
Express) are different programs. Is one preferable or safer than the
other?
How are they different?

Outlook (part of Microsoft Office) is a personal information manager
(Calendar, Task List, Contact List, etc.) that includes an E-mail Client.
Outlook Express is an E-mail Client and Newsreader.

The two overlap only in one area: E-mail. It's not a matter of one being
preferable to the other, because they do different things. I, for example,
use both: Outlook as my PIM and E-mail client, Outlook Express as my
newsreader.

Gordon

PopS said:
Basically, they will each give you the same thing. Outlook is
fully integrated into the operating system and has conntections
to most other microsoft software such as word, excel, etc. that
Outlook Express does not have.

Oh yes it does, if OE is designated as default mail client

Outlook Express is best considered a leaner, meaner version of
Outlook that uses fewer resources and is better dedicated to
overall email/newsgroup usage.

No it's not - it's a completely different program and is NOT a "lite"
version of Outlook.

Outlook Express will give you better control over your emails
as you learn more about them,
Eh?

but Outlook is better at letting
you, say, decided to email an Word document you're writing to
someone else. With Outlook Express you'd have to save the Word
file first, and then insert it into your email to send it.

Nonsense. If OE is the DEFAULT email (and Outlook is not installed) then the
Mail-to link in a word document will open up the compose window in OE! (Or
any other email client that has been set as default)

In general, OUtlook Express is better for email
Rubbish!

and will also
perform as a newsreader if you're into reading newsgroups like
this. Outlook will not do that.

That's the FIRST sensible thing you've posted in this entire diatribe.
One great feature of Outlook is its calendar and journal
functions, in my case. So I use both; Outlook for system work,
and Outlook Express for email.

Well, given the rest of the rubbish you've just posted I suppose that
figures. The ONLY advantage that OE may have over Outlook in mail management
is that it has some rule parameters that Outlook does not - eg the ability
to delete mails off the server where the sender is not in the addressbook
being the one that springs to mind. On the other hand, Outlook has rule
parameters that OE doesn't.

And YOU'VE just castigated David Candy for posting misleaing information!

Bruce Chambers

David said:
Outlook can't itself. It uses OE. Delete all OE files and OL can't get it's mail.

So if you want to be pedantic, Outlook in it's earlier incantation did come with an OS, WfW 3.11. Then got moved to Office with the release of Win95 / Office 95 (and made 32 bit). Then redesigned in Office 97 and renamed to Outlook.

I attached a screen shot of the one from WfW.

You clearly need to try a newer version, if your basing your
"knowledge" of Outlook on Schedule+. Things have changed since then.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Bruce Chambers

David said:
Outlook can't itself. It uses OE. Delete all OE files and OL can't get it's mail.

Nonsense.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

David Candy

Knowledge Base

OL2000: "Outlook Requires Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 or Greater" Error Message If You Start OutlookPSS ID Number: 320863
Article Last Modified on 12/12/2002

Microsoft Outlook 2000

SYMPTOMS
If you start Microsoft Outlook after you install Microsoft Office, you may receive the following error message:
Outlook requires Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 or greater. You can install Outlook Express 5.0 by running IESetup.exe from the Internet Explorer folder where you installed Outlook, or download it from the Internet Explorer site on the Microsoft Web.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if Microsoft Outlook Express is not installed on the computer. Outlook Express must be installed for Outlook to function correctly. This situation can occur if you install Microsoft Internet Explorer by using a custom option that does not include Outlook Express, and then install Outlook. For example, this behavior may occur in the following situation:
You use Microsoft Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) to create a custom installation package to deploy Internet Explorer.

-and-
You do not include Outlook Express in the custom IEAK package. Outlook Express is not installed on the users' computer.

-and-
You deploy Office (including Outlook) to users.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, use the following method that is appropriate to your situation.
Method 1
Use this method if you want to install Outlook Express on the users' computers.

For additional information about how to install Outlook Express, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
212991 OL2000: (IMO) Err Msg: Outlook Express 4.01 Required
For more information about how to use IEAK 5.5 to create a custom installation package to deploy Internet Explorer (and Outlook Express), visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ieak/previous/techinfo/ie55
For additional information about how to install Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 with Microsoft Office 2000, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
270105 OFF2000: How to Install Internet Explorer 5.5 with Office 2000 on Windows 2000
270046 OFF2000: How to Install Internet Explorer 5.5 with Office 2000
Method 2
Use this method if you do not want Outlook Express installed on the users' computers.

Use the Microsoft Office Custom Installation Wizard (CIW) to create a custom transform (.mst) that includes the registry entries for Outlook Express, and then use this transform to deploy Office to your users. By doing this, users can use Outlook without installing Outlook Express on their computers.

NOTE: The steps in this article assume that you have already created an administrative installation point for Microsoft Office 2000. For more information about how to create an administrative installation point, see the "How to Create an Administrative Installation Point" section of the Microsoft Office 2000 Resource Kit (ORK) at the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/two/45ct_3.htm
Step 1: Create a Registry (.reg) File
Start Notepad, and then open a new blank document.
Copy and paste the following text in the file:
REGEDIT4 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}] @="Microsoft Outlook Express 5" "IsInstalled"=dword:00000001 "ComponentID"="MailNews" "Locale"="EN" "StubPath"=hex(2):22,25,53,79,73,74,65,6d,44,72,69,76,65,25,5c,50,72,6f,67,72,\ 61,6d,20,46,69,6c,65,73,5c,4f,75,74,6c,6f,6f,6b,20,45,78,70,72,65,73,73,5c,\ 73,65,74,75,70,35,30,2e,65,78,65,22,20,2f,41,50,50,3a,4f,45,20,2f,43,41,4c,\ 4c,45,52,3a,49,45,35,30,20,2f,75,73,65,72,20,2f,69,6e,73,74,61,6c,6c,00 "Version"="5,00,2314,1300"
On the File menu, click Save.
In the File name box, type oe.reg, specify a location where you want to save the file, and then click Save.

NOTE: Verify that you included the quotation marks (") when you type the file name. This action creates the file with the .reg extension.
Quit Notepad
Step 2: Create a Custom Transform
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Office Tools, point to Microsoft Office 2000 Resource Kit Tools, and then click Custom Installation Wizard.
Click Next.
In the Open the MSI File screen, click Browse, locate the Office .msi file that you want to use, click Open, and then click Next.

The file is located in the root folder of the administrative installation point. For example, path\Data1.msi, where path is the location of the administrative installation point.
In the Open the MST File screen, do one of the following, as appropriate to your situation:
Click Do not open an existing MST file to create a new transform, and then click Next. -or-

Click Open an existing MST file, enter the file name and path of the transform to open and modify an existing transform, and then click Next.
In the Select the MST File to Save screen, specify the name and path of the .mst file in which you want to save changes, and then click Next.

Microsoft recommends that you place the .mst file in the same folder as the .msi file so that it is easier to locate.
In the subsequent pages of the CIW, specify the features and options that you want for the Office installation.
In the Add Registry Entries page, click Import.
Locate and then click the .reg file that you created in step 1, and then click Open.

The CIW extracts the registry entries from the registry file and adds them to the transform.
Click Next, and then specify the options that you want in the remaining pages of the CIW.
Click Finish, and then click Exit.
For more information about how to add registry entries to a transform by using the Custom Installation Wizard, see the "How to Set Registry Entries" section of the Microsoft Office 2000 Resource Kit (ORK) at the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/two/40t3_3.htm
For more information about how to use the Custom Installation Wizard to create a transform, see the "How to Use a Transform with Office Setup" section of the Microsoft Office 2000 Resource Kit (ORK) at the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/two/40t2_1.htm
Step 3: Run Office Setup with the Custom Transform
To install Office on a user's computer, include the file name and path of the transform file in the Office Setup command line. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type the following line, and then click OK:
admin_path\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=transform
where admin_path is the path to the administrative installation point, and transform is the path to the custom transform file.
MORE INFORMATION
For additional information about why Outlook 2000 requires Outlook Express, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
230076 OL2000: Why Outlook 2000 Requires Outlook Express
212991 OL2000: (IMO) Err Msg: Outlook Express 4.01 Required
For more information about how to deploy Internet Explorer 5.5 by using IEAK, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ieak/previous/techinfo/ie55/default.asp
For additional information about how to deploy Office, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
284273 OFF2000: How to Deploy Office over a Network
The Custom Installation Wizard is included in the Microsoft Office Resource Kit core tool set (ORKTools.exe) which is available for download from the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/appndx/toolbox.htm#orktools
For complete information about how to customize your Office installation and how to deploy Office in a network environment, see the Microsoft Office 2000 Resource Kit (ORK) at the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/default.htm

Additional query words: OL2K
Technology: kbOutlook2000Search kbOutlookSearch kbZNotKeyword3

Send feedback to Microsoft
© 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Bruce Chambers

David said:
Microsoft Outlook 2000

Proves my point: Obsolete information. We've had two further
generations of Outlook, since then. Of course, the question also
becomes moot, as OE is now an integral part of the OS.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

PopS

I'm tempted to say you're an idiot with no reading comprehension
and a troll wanna be on top of that, but I won't. You like it
geeky, OK, go for it, but that isn't what this poster needed. Go
back to sleep and wait for the next person to cross the bridge.