Outlook and Norton Internet Security 2004

-----Fred-----

Hello, I need some help with a Norton Product. I know
this may not be the place to ask, but Norton's free
product support is crap, and I'm not paying for their
phone support.

Anyhow, basically when I send/receive e-mail, Antivirus
2004 buggers up. I have a second to look at the Norton
main window, and it shows the Email Scanner has an
error. Then the Norton icons in the system tray
disappear and the auto-protect gets disabled - and I am
unable to restart the auto-protect. When I restart my
computer, everything is back to normal, but once i check
my e-mail the same thing happens. I have tried to
reinstall Norton, but same thing happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Remove Norton and install a different antivirus program.

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus by using the Rnav2003.exe removal utility
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

Suggestion:

Download free evaluation software - Panda Antivirus Platinum 7.0
http://www.pandasoftware.com/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Hello, I need some help with a Norton Product. I know
| this may not be the place to ask, but Norton's free
| product support is crap, and I'm not paying for their
| phone support.
|
| Anyhow, basically when I send/receive e-mail, Antivirus
| 2004 buggers up. I have a second to look at the Norton
| main window, and it shows the Email Scanner has an
| error. Then the Norton icons in the system tray
| disappear and the auto-protect gets disabled - and I am
| unable to restart the auto-protect. When I restart my
| computer, everything is back to normal, but once i check
| my e-mail the same thing happens. I have tried to
| reinstall Norton, but same thing happens.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| Thanks

Scott

If you installed this version overtop another Norton
version you might as well do a manual uninstall via
deleting the folders and then use regedit to pluck the
entries out. From experience the Norton site DOES have
the info on what needs to be removed. Then do a clean
reinstall.

dglock

yes, get rid of norton!!
its the worst resources hog on the market.
it slows the whole computer and isn't all the good at
finding virus. go to mcafee or some of the other good
ones,.
don

Fred

Hello Carey,

I have luckily found a 60 day guarantee on the Symantec
website. I think I'm goint to print it and mail them
their CD and get my money back!

I would just like to know how well Panda detects viruses.
I have read on a few sites that it misses a few!?! I have
also found good reviews of the product...so I have some
mixed feelings about it. What do you think? I also think
that McAfee might not be much better. I havn't read
anything good about it so far. So, Panda might be my last
option...I'll also give the demo a try.

Thanks in advance

Fred

Carey Frisch [MVP]

I have been running the trial version of Panda for three
weeks now and it works great! It seems to automatically
update its virus definitions more frequently than Norton.
Also, the Platinum version includes a great firewall.
I think you'll be pleased with it!

P.S. It nailed a virus file someone posted in this newsgroup yesterday.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Hello Carey,
|
| I have luckily found a 60 day guarantee on the Symantec
| website. I think I'm goint to print it and mail them
| their CD and get my money back!
|
| I would just like to know how well Panda detects viruses.
| I have read on a few sites that it misses a few!?! I have
| also found good reviews of the product...so I have some
| mixed feelings about it. What do you think? I also think
| that McAfee might not be much better. I havn't read
| anything good about it so far. So, Panda might be my last
| option...I'll also give the demo a try.
|
| Thanks in advance
|
| Fred

| >|
| >| Anyhow, basically when I send/receive e-mail, Antivirus
| >| 2004 buggers up. I have a second to look at the Norton
| >| main window, and it shows the Email Scanner has an
| >| error. Then the Norton icons in the system tray
| >| disappear and the auto-protect gets disabled - and I am
| >| unable to restart the auto-protect. When I restart my
| >| computer, everything is back to normal, but once i
| check
| >| my e-mail the same thing happens. I have tried to
| >| reinstall Norton, but same thing happens.
| >|
| >| Any ideas?
| >|
| >| Thanks
| >.

Jack McKenzie

I have found a work around for the problem with Norton antispam go into
configure and delete all the entry's in the allowed list you will find that
the program will work and not lock up.
Jack
Hello, I need some help with a Norton Product. I know
this may not be the place to ask, but Norton's free
product support is crap, and I'm not paying for their
phone support.

Anyhow, basically when I send/receive e-mail, Antivirus
2004 buggers up. I have a second to look at the Norton
main window, and it shows the Email Scanner has an
error. Then the Norton icons in the system tray
disappear and the auto-protect gets disabled - and I am
unable to restart the auto-protect. When I restart my
computer, everything is back to normal, but once i check
my e-mail the same thing happens. I have tried to
reinstall Norton, but same thing happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks

PA Bear

1. Disable email scanning (by any anti-virus app) of outgoing and incoming
mail. It provides no additional protection and even Symantec *used* to say
it wasn't necessary (on this page, prior to being edited on 24 Feb-04:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001082921552806)...

<paste>
Note: Disabling email scanning does not leave you unprotected against
viruses that are distributed as email attachments. NAV Auto-Protect will
scan any incoming files, including email, as they are saved to your hard
drive. Email scanning is just another layer on top of this. To make sure
that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep Auto-Protect
enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have the most recent
virus definitions.
</paste>
Google cache of the older page: http://snipurl.com/4vee

Error 0x800ccc0d or 0x800ccc0f When Receiving and Sending E-Mail
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

Error 0x800ccc0e, Socket Error 10061
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191687

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. . ." when sending
or receiving email in Outlook Express
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001060516275506

Time-Out Error 0x8004210a or 0x800ccc19 When You View a POP3 E-Mail Account
with AntiVirus Software Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813518

2. Norton AntiSpam, part of NAV, has proven remarkably troublesome for OE
users.

3. Last but not least:

Serious flaw found in three Symantec products
"The products listed as affected were Norton Internet Security 2004, Norton
Internet Security 2004 Professional and Norton Personal Firewall 2004."
HTH - Please Reply to This Thread

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

AumHa Forums
http://forum.mvps.org/

Protect Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect

Brian Coats

Hi! I,too, am having a rough time with Norton. Never told me I had to renew NortonSystemsWorks2003 and it has now compromised everything. Have also done uninstall and reinstall three times per their secuirty alert prompts. NOW I cannot access any pages that may need security( not even Norton's own pages!!!) because( even though I have paid for it)Live Update will not do virus protection.
You are quite right that on-line free support is crap! I have gone to Dell for help but I may have to call and pay to get rid of this business. Of course my other option may be to uninstall everything, including GoBack( which also does not work now) and get something else like McAfee. Any suggestions???

I can tell how you can fix it, but I not sure if I'm allowed to post
it. I ran into the same problem, which force me to do what I did.
to My knowledge it not illegal.

Brian

PA Bear

On 22 Jan-04, Symantec sent this alert for NAV (past of NSW) users:

<paste>
Support Advisory for products updating to LiveUpdate 2.0

When you run LiveUpdate for your Windows-based Symantec program to update to
LiveUpdate 2.0, and do not restart your computer after the installation is
complete, the program's Automatic LiveUpdate feature may become disabled.
You must restart your computer to re-enable Automatic LiveUpdate. If you
restart your computer after completing LiveUpdate, you do not experience any
issues and Automatic LiveUpdate will remain enabled.

For more information on this problem, read the document "Automatic
LiveUpdate may be disabled after updating to LiveUpdate 2.0".

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/vURL.cgi/liveupdt1
</paste>
--
HTH - Please Reply to This Thread

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

AumHa Forums
http://forum.mvps.org/

Protect Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect

Brian: If I uninstall everything I bought from Norton and get another program- will it help?One responder told me to try"Pandora" platinum...?If you cant post here, where do you want to post your solution?

Brian Coats

Make sure you are disconnected from the internet or unplug you direct
connection first.
2nd Uninstall Norton’s totally including Live reg. Reboot. (I would
do it two times on xp) Now reboot again but start in safe mode by
pressing F8

Open registry edit. Look for everything called nortons or Symantec.
Delete either the key or the value. Not sure just delete the value.
Delete any folder left by Nortons or symatec.

Now reboot.
Install Nortons system works again. This time when your registering
Nortons choose send in registrations by mail. Let it print out.
This should fix your problem. Live update should work. First
Uninstall Norton’s totally including Live reg. Reboot. (I would do
it two times on xp) Now reboot again but start in safe mode by
pressing F8

Open registry edit. Look for everything called nortons or Symantec.
Delete either the key or the value. Not sure just delete the value.

Now reboot.
Make sure you are still disconnected from the internet or unplug you
direct connection first. Install Nortons system works again. This
time when your registering Nortons choose Send in registrations by
mail. Let it print out. (You will be surprised-you can maybe able
to use live update again) I don’t use nortons virus anymore anyhow.
However you still should be able to use intelligent update (Now they
wll possible issue a patch to prevents this)

Brian

Fred

Hello,

I have the demo from Panda, and I absolutely love it!

It definitely uses less resources on my computer, and it
does complete the full scan way faster. But most of all,
it seems to be very stable. Not as many features for the
same price, but I'll take the stability anyday!

I think I'm going to try the demo for another week or so,
and if all is well, I'll pay my $70 and keep if for good.

Thank you for the recommendation! Very much appresiated

Fred