outlook 2003 "has encountered a problem", ntdll.dll module

Suddenly I cannot start outlook (I have outlook 2003 and it was working
until 1 1/2 hour ago)...

I have done some research but none of the stuff I found (including
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=805551&SiteID=17)
seem to help. What I get as the error info is as follows:

AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.8010.0 AppStamp:43d16d53
ModName: ntdll.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModStamp:411096b4
fDebug: 0 Offset: 0000eddc

Then the dump info is something like:

Module 1: OUTLOOK.EXE
...... followed by some details.....
Module 2: ntdll.dll
Module 3: kernel32.dll
Module 4: OUTLLIB.DLL
Module 5: msvcrt.dll
Module 6: advapi32.dll

.....through...
Module 155: OUTLPH.DLL

Then there is thread information, and what seems like a full dump....

It also says that it will send the file
C:\DOCUME~1\<username>\LOCALS~1\Temp\3254812.cvr ... The file is about 2K and
is binary.

I am running Outlook 2003 SP2 (build 11.8010.8036, I think).

This is very frustrating....

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for your reply. Here is the info. I suspected the ntdll.dll but I
don't know why it is causing the problem...

In any case, the even ID is 1000 generated by "Microsoft Office 11". THe
properties for the event reads:

" Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8010.0, stamp 43d16d53,
faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, stamp 411096b4, debug? 0,
fault address 0x0000eddc.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

I checked ntdll.dll and acording to one website
(http://process.networktechs.com/ntdll.dll.php), it should be safe it is in
"a" system directory. And it is in 3 directories.
There are 3 files with that name (all the same size and mod-date).

\WINDOWS\I386\NTDLL.DLL (last accessed 3 minutes ago)
\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll (last accessed 2 minutes ago)
\WINDOWS\I386\SYSTEM32\NTDLL.DLL (last access a few seconds ago)

The MD5 checksum (using WinMD5sum) for all 3 files is the same
(bb5cbffc096497506167bce1d9690ef2).

So it seems they are the same but being used by different components of
windows with different frequency.

Thanks

Matt

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

This error appears to have something to do with installing IE7. I'm pasting
part of a conversation I had in another Outlook group with the same problem
and how the poster was able to correct it:

-----------------------
Hal,

Thank you for the reply. I went to uninstall IE7, but it gave a message
that too may other programs were dependent on the install. As such I got
worried that I may break something else. I kept rumaging for updates and
kept installing updates and testing the outlook. Finally one of them
worked.
I have no idea which one. I am just happy it started working.

Thanks again for your reply.

Warm Regards,
Armen

Hal Hostetler said:
Have you tried uninstalling IE7?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (e-mail address removed)

"(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]@discussions.microsoft.com>
-----------------------

Unfortunately, I have no idea what update he's referring to, however, I've
seen some other posts indicating it may be a "Recommended" update (NOT a
critical update that would be installed automatically) on the Windows Update
site.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (e-mail address removed)

I searched the support KB of microsoft and found out that apparently there
is a hot fix for this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898778/en-us

But the article says I need to contact support for hotfix to get the file
Office2003-kb898778-glb.exe

I cannot find the above hot fix anywhere on microsoft site (using search box
of various support and download sites).

Any information?

Thanks.

Matt

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Read the article again, particularly this part:

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services telephone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support)

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Hello Matt,
I've been dealing with exact same issue since Feb 8, 2007. Your thread has
been helpful but my problem still remains unresolved. Have you resolved
yours? I did read what Kathleen wrote and followed the link to
Microsoft...they redirect me to my computer manufacturer since Outlook 2003
was preinstalled...I am waiting for a reply from them...you may see my thread
called "Outlook 2003 Headache-need aspirin"