Outlook Outlook 2003 - can send New but can't Reply

Reaction score
When I Replyor Forward to an e-mail I get 550 Relay not permitted.

I have a standalone lap top with XP Pro/SP3 and Outlook 2003/SP3.

I have two e-mail accounts. One is my ADSL provider who I send to and receive from. The other I only receive from.

I receive mails OK. I can create and send New, choosing an address from my contacts. I can't Replyor Forward to that same address.

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find an answer to help me

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Reaction score
BS6600 said:
When I Replyor Forward to an e-mail I get 550 Relay not permitted.

I have a standalone lap top with XP Pro/SP3 and Outlook 2003/SP3.

I have two e-mail accounts. One is my ADSL provider who I send to and receive from. The other I only receive from.

I receive mails OK. I can create and send New, choosing an address from my contacts. I can't Replyor Forward to that same address.

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find an answer to help me

Thanks in advance,

Bill

BS6600.. Please take a print screen of the error you are seeing...I can't really make head or tail of what your are saying..................

Are you using Widows Mail as a defualt to check you e-mail, are you using, windoes live to check your-mail....

And other than the ADSl yu send and recive from, what ate you using for email..? are yu opening a browser to check your mail , or opening individual,,,,

Reaction score
Madxgraphics,,

I use Outlook as my mail client to send and receive e-mails (SMTP/POP3). I've been doing this for 5 years till my PC blew up and I'm having to set up a new laptop.

The two accounts are set up in Outlook/Tools/E-mail Accounts as directed by ZenADSL and Force9.
The Send/Receive options are set up in Outlook/Tools/Options/Mail Setup/Send/Receive.
If I create a New e-mail and Send, it works fine.

When I Reply or Forward I get an e-mail back from 'System Administrator' as follows (also screen shot attached)

Subject: Undeliverable: reply to an e-mail received
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Reply to an e-mail received
Sent: 06/05/2009 10:42

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'Microsoft' on 06/05/2009 10:42
550 relay not permitted

I understand this error would be appropriate if I was sending mail to Force9 which is not my ADSL connection, and won't accept relayed mai,l but I'm sending to ZenADSL which is my connection supplier.

I hope this makes it clearer, thanks for you interest.

Bill

Attachments

• Outlook Problem.doc
    98.5 KB · Views: 191
Reaction score
The issue is that your ISP doesn't allow relaying of email through their service.
When you reply to an email it defaults to using the account it was sent to, in this case it's the account not supplied by your adsl provider.
What you need to do is set it to reply via your other account or setup different account settings... i.e use a different smtp server.

There's lots of guides on the internet on how to do it... but it the fix will depend upon your service provider and the account providing issues.

Reaction score
JaLing,

Thank's that made sense. Turns out that both(all?) accounts should have the same SMTP server - that of the connection provider.

You are right there are a lot of guides etc but finding one in plain english is difficult!

Should I close this thread now? How do I do that?

Bill

Last edited:
Reaction score
No worries... generally FBS etc will close a thread but that's occures due to reasons like being old or trolling.

Enjoy

Ask a Question