Outlook Outlook 2000 won't send under Vista

Reaction score
I've just bought a new Acer Aspire 5630 laptop with Vista Home Premium on it. I installed Office 2000 (which I was using before on my old XP system) but now although Word, Excel and PowerPoint all seem to work OK, Outlook 2000 doesn't. The address book, task list and calendar work fine and I've imported all my old messages successfully but although I can download my email I can't send any. Whenever I try to create a new message by clicking either New or Reply it always freezes up with the announcement "Microsoft outlook has stopped working" after which all I can do is close it down and restart it.

I can both send and receive email with Windows Mail but I want to be able to use Outlook because I'm used to it, I like it and I've got a lot of stuff organised with it. I don't care about Vista being prettier than XP, I just want my computer to work!

Outlook also no longer displays the Norton Anti Spam toolbar that it did on the old machine (even though I have got Norton Protection) and I'm stuck with that silly paperclip as the Office Assistant because I no longer seem to have the option to change it even though I supposedly installed everything on the Office 2000 disc.

Help!

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hate to tell you this, but, Outlook 2000 is not Vista compatible ... I'm just the messenger, pun intended, Microsoft want you to upgrade, upgrade & upgrade.

Some people have had success by copying the missing wab.dll & wab32res.dll From \Program Files\Common Files\System ... To \Windows\System32

Vista Mail is more secure and comes with a trio of tools that perform the major functions of Outlook. They're creatively called Windows Mail, Windows Calendar and Windows Contacts. Contacts is rather clever, give it a tryout.

:user:

oh, welcome to the forums :wave:

Reaction score
Stick with the mail program in Vista, if you set up your internet providers server details for mail, you will have it all down pat in no time. I have had Vista H/Prem on my Laptop since purchase, 8 weeks ago and it is very easy now. Hang in there. You will like it after more use.
Regards Punkaknight

Reaction score
Laptop for sale if I can't get it fixed!

Thanks for the input. I had already tried the "copying the missing wab.dll & wab32res.dll From Program FilesCommon FilesSystem ... To WindowsSystem32" bit but still no good.

It seems I now have 2 choices, I can either sell the laptop (see http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=373257 cost £699 - what am I offered?) or try to get it working.

So my first problem is how to import my old messages from Outlook 2000 into Windows Mail. I tried the import tool in WIndows Mail but although it has an option to select Outlook it always makes Windows mail crash when I try it, whether Outlook 2000 is open or not. What am I doing wrong?

Second problem is importing my old appointments from Outlook 2000 into Windows Calendar. Windows Calendar seems to only want to import calendar files *.ics which is not a format available under the Outlook 2000 Export option. So what can I do to get round this?

If I have to keep buying new software to solve a problem with getting everything up and running under Vista I may as well just throw the new machine away and get one from Dell who thankfully still supply ones with XP.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'll give you £100 for it :p

If you really are that annoyed with Vista - why not just buy an OEM copy of XP and install that?

muckshifter

Reaction score
optomdon said:
Thanks for the input. I had already tried the "copying the missing wab.dll & wab32res.dll From Program FilesCommon FilesSystem ... To WindowsSystem32" bit but still no good.
Sorry, is all I could find.

It seems I now have 2 choices, I can either sell the laptop (see http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=373257 cost £699 - what am I offered?) or try to get it working.
Nowt wrong with the laptop, but you will take a big loss tryin to sell it.

So my first problem is how to import my old messages from Outlook 2000 into Windows Mail. I tried the import tool in Windows Mail but although it has an option to select Outlook it always makes Windows mail crash when I try it, whether Outlook 2000 is open or not. What am I doing wrong?
See my first post ... you will need a third party to convert for you.

Second problem is importing my old appointments from Outlook 2000 into Windows Calendar. Windows Calendar seems to only want to import calendar files *.ics which is not a format available under the Outlook 2000 Export option. So what can I do to get round this?
Same as above.

I was looking for an easy way to do this, and found a workable alternative ...

Export your Outlook Calendar to csv format and then log into Google Calendar and import the csv.
Open Outlook and go to File, Import and Export
Export to a file
select Comma Separated Values (DOS)
select Calendar folder
select name and location of file and then Next

now go to http://www.google.com/calendar/ and sign in
click on Settings
click on Import Calendar
select the file by browsing to where you just exported it
click Import

Now, Export the calendar by going to Settings again and clicking on Calendars
click on your Calendar name
in Private Address section, click the iCal button
this opens a window with a link to your ics file
click the link to download the file

Open Windows Calendar
go to File, Import and browse to your newly created ics file, make sure to update your existing calendar instead of creating a new one
click Import

this may still fail :(

If I have to keep buying new software to solve a problem with getting everything up and running under Vista I may as well just throw the new machine away and get one from Dell who thankfully still supply ones with XP.
Sorry, but the PC business generates its income from people who upgrade ... especially from those who did not do their homework. No disrespect to you intended.

Reaction score
Can someone swap my Vista for XP?

£100 is not enough but I like the idea of replacing Vista with XP. Exactly how would I go about doing that though? If I have to buy XP (from PC World or somewhere?) how much is that going to cost and what other stuff will I need? If I format the hard drive to exorcise Vista then what do I do about all the drivers and other software that's on there?

Is there somewhere I can take it to get all this done for me? What I'd like is the machine just as it is now except with XP instead of Vista.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Only joking about the £100 :D

If you google for 'XP OEM' you will find Home for around £60 and Pro for around £90. (Dabs.com)

Obviously you will loose the drivers when installing, but you will either find them on your driver disc if you got one with the lappy, or you can download them first from Acer HERE, or the various hardware manufacturers sites and put them on a CD.

Software you will have to re-install, but save any files and settings etc to a CD and put them back afterwards.

You could get your local PC shop to do it for you, and obviously they will charge - but to be honest it ain't that hard to do it yourself.

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry to tell you this Ady ... but if you bought a PC/Laptop with Vista, they will not offer any support, including disks, for XP ... they is all at this game. ;)

However, there are alternative site to download the drivers that are needed. :thumb:

Reaction score
Muckshifter - since I saw your post about Google calendar I've been working on that. If it doesn't work I'll try your Vista Office 2007 idea

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Sorry to tell you this Ady ... but if you bought a PC/Laptop with Vista, they will not offer any support, including disks, for XP ... they is all at this game. ;)

However, there are alternative site to download the drivers that are needed. :thumb:

user.gif
The drivers are all available on their site - the link is in my post :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
The drivers are all available on their site - the link is in my post :thumb:
Missed that ... you have to make them links bold so I can see 'em. :p

Reaction score
Still in trouble

This is what I hate about computers. I've been spending hours on this and it's still not right. It's just like the ways cars must have been about 100 years ago. If you could get the thing to work at all you'd be happy but for every hour of motoring there was lots of time spent tinkering. Now you just buy a car and it works, for months or even years at a time with almost no maintenance at all. And when something does need fixing you take it in and they fix it. Nobody complains about how the rear windows won't open since they installed sat-nav or buying new tyres has meant they can't get it into reverse anymore! Cars just work, when will computers be as reliable? 100 years?

I've been trying to export from the Google calendar (creating that was no problem and importing my appointments from Outlook 2000 worked fine) by clicking on the ICAL button under Private Address: and a box opens with a link and when I click on it a new box opens showing downloading but then it immediately stops and one of my old appointments from several years ago opens up. All I can do then is close it down and everything stops. I've tried deleting the appointment in question and doing it all again but then it just opens another old one and freezes up again.

Doh!

Reaction score
Give this a try, noi guarantee that it will work, however; if you copy transfer all your 200 files into a new folder (name it what you like) then import it into windows mail. Good Luck, hope this works. Punkaknight

Ask a Question