[OT] Installing Linux the easy way

Susan Bugher

<q>
Hi Grandma,
hmmm, I haven't seen this computer. . .
No Linux? let's see what distributions I have with me. . .
flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip. . .
Okay, here's the one you should have first. . .
This will only take a few minutes. . . all done.
</q>

:) :) :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Mark Carter

Susan said:
<q>
Hi Grandma,
hmmm, I haven't seen this computer. . .
No Linux? let's see what distributions I have with me. . .
flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip. . .
Okay, here's the one you should have first. . .
This will only take a few minutes. . . all done.

Ubuntu.

Comes on one CD.
Extra software can be easily installed over the internet using
"apt-get", including any necessary dependencies "automagically".
Convenient desktop.
Firefox and email as standard (and OpenOffice, IIRC).
Excellent hardware detection.
Samba all ready to rumble - it detected my Windows shares no problemo.

On the whole, Linux which Just Works (TM), and is easily expandable.

I also like Slackware a lot. It's a bit of a fiddle getting the mouse
and keyboard to work properly, though. Slackware is a fast distribution
which is quick and easy to install. It's also easy on resources. If I
were going down the Slackware route, I might be tempted to use a
derivative like ZenWalk, which knocks a few of the rough edges off.

I never really liked any of the other major ones (Fedora, and the
commercial ones SuSe, Red Hat, etc.) - too many CDs using too much
system resources.

El Gee

<q>
Hi Grandma,
hmmm, I haven't seen this computer. . .
No Linux? let's see what distributions I have with me. . .
flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip. . .
Okay, here's the one you should have first. . .
This will only take a few minutes. . . all done.
</q>

:) :) :)

Susan

Ubuntu is the easiest 'pure linux' I have found, but the easiest to set
up, configure and install software has been Xandros or Linspire.

BtW, I use Ubuntu on 1 server and two laptops.

El Gee // www.mistergeek.com <><
Know Christ, Know Peace - No Christ, No Peace
Remove .yourhat to reply

Mark Warner

Susan said:
<q>
Hi Grandma,
hmmm, I haven't seen this computer. . .
No Linux? let's see what distributions I have with me. . .
flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip. . .
Okay, here's the one you should have first. . .
This will only take a few minutes. . . all done.
</q>

:) :) :)

Susan

Ubuntu is good; SimplyMEPIS is easier.

Mark Carter

El said:
Ubuntu is the easiest 'pure linux' I have found, but the easiest to set
up, configure and install software has been Xandros or Linspire.

The last two cost money. I bought Red Hat 5 (??) many years ago - but I
would never pay for a distro again (unless they cost a nominal amount
like you see on some websites). I've purchased from UseLinux in the
past, and think they are a good bet for those on poor internet
connections, or those that simply can't be arsed with the downloads.
Plus, you can also often buy "bundles" from them, which is a whole wodge
of distros for less that £20. Not that I would necessarily do that any more.

Plus, I suspect that Xandros or Linspire are too "sugary" for my tastes,
and I doubt that I'll ever have the inclination to try them out;
although maybe grandma will love it. Maybe one of these days I'll try
OpenSolaris - although methinks Sun is getting in on the action a bit
late in the game.

Susan Bugher

Ubuntu is the easiest 'pure linux' I have found, but the easiest to set
up, configure and install software has been Xandros or Linspire.

I don't care how easy it is, it can't possibly be as easy as *my*
installation method. I did have to do a little advance planning though.
First I had to raise a child who raised a child. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Mark Carter

Susan said:
I don't care how easy it is, it can't possibly be as easy as *my*
installation method. I did have to do a little advance planning though.
First I had to raise a child who raised a child. . .

Dunno, sounds quite complicated just to install Linux ;)

Nicolaas Hawkins

I don't care how easy it is, it can't possibly be as easy as *my*
installation method. I did have to do a little advance planning though.
First I had to raise a child who raised a child. . .

Just so long as he didn't get tangled up in the foresight.

Nicolaas.

.... One often gets much more than one asks for - not all of it necessarily
good.

David

Ubuntu.

Comes on one CD.
Extra software can be easily installed over the internet using
"apt-get", including any necessary dependencies "automagically".
Convenient desktop.
Firefox and email as standard (and OpenOffice, IIRC).
Excellent hardware detection.
Samba all ready to rumble - it detected my Windows shares no problemo.
No problem going that way. It's Windoze that refuses to see any Linux
machine. I'm connecting through a Smoothwall box that Windows insists
is not there.
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply

Renan

At date Mon, 26 Dec 2005 22:44:14 +0000, Mark Carter ([email protected])
for said:
Comes on one CD.
Extra software can be easily installed over the internet using
"apt-get", including any necessary dependencies "automagically".
Convenient desktop.
Firefox and email as standard (and OpenOffice, IIRC).
Excellent hardware detection.
Samba all ready to rumble - it detected my Windows shares no problemo.

Only thing I hated in most Linux distros, is that they don't come with
audio/video codecs. (but this can easily be installed)
The only distro that came with those was (IIRC) Slackware.

mike ring

Dunno, sounds quite complicated just to install Linux ;)

It's a damn sight easier than any distro that I've tried - the "free"
versions cost about sick squid each on magazines, so your way is probably
more expensive.

Ubuntu - neither version, would install at all.

mike

Mark Carter

mike said:
the "free"
versions cost about sick squid each on magazines, so your way is probably
more expensive.

UseLinux are selling distros at £1.20 per CD:
http://www.uselinux.co.uk/
Or you can download them for actually free.
Ubuntu - neither version, would install at all.

Surely you troll, sir. I understand that laptops are apt to create
problems, and if you have esoteric or very old hardware, then there may
be problems.

I haven't tried Zenwalk as of late (I'm pretty much settled on Ubuntu
now), but I reckon it to be worth a look. Depending on how good your
hardware is, you may like to take a look at Mepis, Fedora, or SuSe, etc..

David

Susan said:
I don't care how easy it is, it can't possibly be as easy as *my*
installation method. I did have to do a little advance planning though.
First I had to raise a child who raised a child. . .

And now you have to teach your Grandchildren just like me.
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply
At the bottom of the application where it says
"sign here". I put "Sagittarius"
E-mail: justdas at iinet dot net dot au

Lou

Susan said:
I don't care how easy it is, it can't possibly be as easy as *my*
installation method. I did have to do a little advance planning though.
First I had to raise a child who raised a child. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

How does one go about borrowing your installer??

Lou

Azzman

I don't care how easy it is, it can't possibly be as easy as *my*
installation method. I did have to do a little advance planning
though. First I had to raise a child who raised a child. . .

4 years ago I started the same procedure. My friends laughed at me,
saying my life was over. But hey, guess who'll be laughing in a couple
of decades when they're put on hold calling an expensive helpdesk ? Ha !

Susan Bugher