OT help with Win 95 install

Gabriel Knight

Hi I tried other news groups for win 95 but their latest questions were from
year 2009 or no questions at all I hope this is ok here.

I am trying to install Win 95 But I get an error,

"while initializing device IOS:
windows protection error. You need to restart your computer."

I googled this and it said it could be a virus or because of a new installed
hardware/software. I am doing a clean install of the OS with a new (deleted
and new partition made) partition and then formated so there are no files on
the hdd. I have taken out the sound and agp video card so im using onboard
video but I get this error still. I have 512mb of ram installed as I found
out that any more causes another type of error. I have installed Win95 on
this pc before so I know there should not be anything wrong with the
hardware, I also have tried using two hard drives one an 80gig with ultra
ata and a 40gig with ata 133 but both the same.

I am using:
P4SGX-MX Mobo
P4 2.80 GHz CPU
512mb DDR PC2700 ram
40Gig HDD ATA 133 (IDE)

I can get into the bios so I know the onboard video works and I have tried
an agp 128mb 3d card aswell.

I get to the stage after the install that says something like "windows is
now starting for the first time" then the "while initializing device IOS:"
error.

I can not get into safe mode if I try the same error happens, If I use
"step-by-step confirmation" it gets to the "load all windows drivers" then
the error.
Please help

GK

Gabriel Knight

I am using a win 98 boot disk to use fdisk for the partion and the same boot
disk for the format, but the strange thing is that in the root dir of c:
there is no autoexec.bat file or config.sys file even after using
attrib.exe - do these get installed after win 95 runs for the first time?

Thanks
GK

Gabriel Knight

Now I remember something important, I did not have win95 installed on this
pc before instead it was win98 is it possable to install win95 on my pc?

Cash

Gabriel said:
[...]

From memory, the maximum partition that you can have with Windows 95 is two
[2] gigabyte - so you will have to have twenty partitions on the drive to
get it to work.

Cash

Cash said:
Gabriel said:
[...]

From memory, the maximum partition that you can have with Windows 95
is two [2] gigabyte - so you will have to have twenty partitions on
the drive to get it to work.

That should read "the maximum partition SIZE that..."

Sorry about that.

philo

[...]

Your cpu is too fast
and you'd need to apply the patch

No sense in running win95 on a machine like that

Put XP on it and if you like fooling with old operating systems

load it in a virtual machine

9

98 Guy

Gabriel said:
Hi I tried other news groups for win 95 but their latest questions
were from year 2009 or no questions at all I hope this is ok here.

You should have considered the windows-98 newsgroup for your question.

I've cross-posted this reply to that group to assist you.
[...]

There were several version of windows 95 (2 or 3). The last one had
better support for large hard drives - that could be the problem you're
seeing. Do you know what version of Win-98 you have? Can you read the
date-stamp on the files on the CD?

As Philo said, win-95 did have a problem with CPU's running faster than
2.4 ghz - but that might not cause you a problem until you try to get a
network card up and running (don't quote me on that).

In any case, I highly recommend that you install Windows 98 instead of
Windows 95. You'll have a more stable os with more compatibility
options in terms of software and hardware (particularly USB devices).

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In any case, I highly recommend that you install Windows 98 instead of
Windows 95. You'll have a more stable os with more compatibility
options in terms of software and hardware (particularly USB devices).[/QUOTE]

Yes, '98 supports USB a lot better (making '95 do so is hard work, and I
suspect few drivers exist). Especially if you use the universal driver
from the start.

If you don't like the user interface, you can make '98 look very like
'95, by using 98lite; this makes for a more stable (and less demanding)
system too, though some people hate it.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible,
he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he
is
very probably wrong." - Arthur C. Clarke

Peter Foldes

There was four versions of Windows 95 a,b,c,d,

--
Peter
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Robert Macy

.
.
.>> "while initializing device IOS:

.
.
.>> I have installed Win95 on this pc before so I know there should not

First, seconded. W98 SE. With the W95 OSR2 C explorer shell. (98-Lite with
the second edition of the shell swap, the one that still leaves the original
W98 SHELL32.DLL as default for most programs to call on for shell functions).

Second, there is a problem with AMD CPU's that does this, at clock speeds
anything above 300 MHz. I know this is about a P4 machine, but the fix may be
the same. It has an updated ESDI_506.PDR amongst a couple of other things,
and is one of the standard M$ patches for W9X.

What bothers me is that that machine apparently installed W95 ok before. So
somethign changed, and likely hardware. That protection error usually results
when a static VXD fails. It is also possible, that as the failure occurred
during first reboot after install, that VMM32.VXD, a package of discreet
static VXD's, didn't build correctly for that machine. VMM32.VXD does not
vary a lot between machines despite the intention that it can at need, but it
may well have gone wrong. If so, re-install is th best choice after testing
with another OS, that the hardware is sound. There are lots of fun technical
explorations possible, but what matters is: will it work? If a simple repeat
attempt at install fails, it likely won't without other attention elsewhere.

Is it possible that the original Win95 install that worked had a
specific order which software would sequence through, then upon re-
installing Win95 THAT order changed exacerbating any sensitivity to HW
speeds as mentioned previously? I had this happen once during the
'old' days developing computer systems when a software upgrade, did
NOT! Some section of I/O became unreliable. Went back and did a true
timing diagram and source of the problem became obvious. Changing
sequence rules for the SW and adding an intentional delay got us by
WITHOUT having to modify the HW, including costly field update to the
HW.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Subject: Re: OT help with Win 95 install
From: Peter Foldes <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support, microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

There was four versions of Windows 95 a,b,c,d,

Close - depending on how you count, there were 4 or 5:

RTM - ver 4.00.950
SR1 - ver 4.00.950a
SR2 - ver 4.00.950b
SR2.1 - ver 4.00.950b
SR2.5 - ver 4.00.950c

So there wasn't a 'd' version, but depending on how you look at it
there were 4 versions after the original release. Why MS versioned
things this way, I have no idea...

Peter Foldes

You did forget the D version and I the original W95 one

--
Peter
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Zaphod Beeblebrox

You did forget the D version and I the original W95 one
Yes, I saw that you forgot the original, but no, I did not forget the D
version since as best as I can tell there never was a D version.

None of the Windows version references I can find online (including
Microsoft) mention it. If you can point to a source that includes it,
I'd be interested in seeing it. Otherwise, I suspect it is a case of
your memory being flawed.

0

000-222-000

Bill in Co said:
Yes, '98 supports USB a lot better (making '95 do so is hard work, and I
suspect few drivers exist). Especially if you use the universal driver
from the start.

If you don't like the user interface, you can make '98 look very like
'95, by using 98lite; this makes for a more stable (and less demanding)
system too, though some people hate it.

I can (have) made *Win98SE* look very much like 95 - LOL.
You don't need to go to the stripped down Lite version (which brings with it
some of its own limitations, as you've occasionally noted :).
Let's face it, they're both pretty light, compared to what's out there now
(or ever since Vista and Windows7 made their icky debut)
[/QUOTE]

Say Bill in Co, this is the One and Only Hot-Text...

Just setup a Windows 3.1 and put a Dr-Dos with it,
on a Compaq Evo D500 Small Form Factor,
now I have CD/DVD Rom running on win 3.1 cool,
And Cable Internet plug-in to a Intel(r) PRO/100 NIC too!

If he install windows 95 first then Dr-Dos,
he able to run Dr-Dos and start 95 for there,
and it will load all the drive for 95 for him.............