[OT] Google

Susan Bugher

A long and (IMO) interesting article about Google.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/14552556.htm

"Google announced new features Wednesday that it said will let ordinary
people influence its famously secret search algorithms, as well as see
what the entire world is searching for at any given moment."

<snip>

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

elaich

"Google announced new features Wednesday that it said will let ordinary
people influence its famously secret search algorithms, as well as see
what the entire world is searching for at any given moment."

I avoid Google like the plague. They are setting themselves up to become
the Microsoft of the 2010s. I don't use their search engine, and I
automatically get rid of the Google search bar when I install Firefox. BTW,
Mozilla Corp. made millions off Google last year. How's that for strange
bedfellows?

Daniel Mandic

elaich said:
I avoid Google like the plague. They are setting themselves up to
become the Microsoft of the 2010s. I don't use their search engine,
and I automatically get rid of the Google search bar when I install
Firefox. BTW, Mozilla Corp. made millions off Google last year. How's
that for strange bedfellows?

I caer about google the same, as I care for other server. I absolutely
cannot not understand the hype for Googgle.

I have found more with other server... and or...
So it must be something other.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Mark Carter

elaich said:
I avoid Google like the plague. They are setting themselves up to become
the Microsoft of the 2010s.

What's got me a bit puzzled are Google videos:
http://video.google.com/

You can watch them from a web browser. You can download them, but
they're in "gvp" format, for which you need "Google Video Player".
Warning flags are flying on this one, at least for me anyway, because it
seems like we're getting into lock-in/spyware territory. I'd sooner
they'd gone for a truly open standard, or just used a download from the
originating site.