Opening files - file associations

Johnie

I know how to set associated file types in Windows Explorer; for instance so
that when I click on a ".jpg", "jpeg" or a ".gif" file I want it to be opened
with "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer". This works okay when I want to select a
file from Explorer / File Manager.

My problem is when I click on a link to a file within a document or application
such as Word for Windows - this opens a different
program entirely.

For example :- clicking a .jpg file opens an app called gppw.exe, which messes
up completely because it's not expecting a picture file. I have to press cancel
3 times, and then it opens "Dell Image Expert" which can display a picture.
(gppw.exe is associated with .gps files from Explorer)

Clicking a ".jpeg" or a "gif" file link in Word opens Internet Explorer and
displays the picture okay - but I don't want this.

Links to text files ".txt" work okay - calling notepad.

The help in Windows Word tells me to change the associations from Explorer.
THIS DOES NOT WORK. The Help given is wrong.

I get the same problem with links to picture files in other applications.

How can I change the file associations that are used from WITHIN AN
APPLICATION? Do I have to hack about with registry entries to do this?

Johnie.

David Candy

I know how to set associated file types in Windows Explorer

Well how? The only easy way supercedes file associations.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi David,

Indonesia again in disaster.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
I know how to set associated file types in Windows Explorer

Well how? The only easy way supercedes file associations.

David Candy

Yes. Glad I don't live there. Australia (but not where I live), et al had a tidal wave warning but it turned out it was very small. The Cocos Islands got a 300mm tidal wave. Still it was a big earthquake and thousands died. Our military personnel had recently left Indonesia but some are now on the way back for disaster relief..

Johnie

David Candy said:
I know how to set associated file types in Windows Explorer

Well how? The only easy way supercedes file associations.
Any way -
Tools > Folder options > File types...
or (right click) > Open with > (choose program) and check box
"always use..."

Both are easy. Is there another way?

David Candy

Yeah, to edit the file association which you are not doing. You are using Open With which supercedes file associations (though in previous versions of windows it did change the file association) so if your associations are changed by a program the files still open with what you chose. You need to edit the association not use Open With. You need to click Advanced not Change (Change is also Open With).

Johnie

David Candy said:
Yeah, to edit the file association which you are not doing. You are using Open
With which supercedes file associations (though in previous versions of windows
it did change the file association) so if your associations are changed by a
program the files still open with what you chose. You need to edit the
association not use Open With. You need to click Advanced not Change (Change is
also Open With).

That bottom button in the "Folder Options" "File Types" tab is strange -
sometimes it reads "Advanced", other times "Restore" depending on what
extention is selected. I guess that "Restore" undoes whatever you did with the
"Open with" method. Windows Help is as much use as normal...

Now I have tried deleting the ".jpg" entry completely, and recreating it. This
is slightly better. Now when I click on a picture link in Microsoft Word, it's
displayed. - But instead of using the Picture and Fax Viewer it's displayed
with Internet Explorer.

This is only a problem to me because I don't normally use MS Internet Explorer,
I use Mozilla Firefox.

Windows seems to "assume" which programs can display pictures, on the "Open
with" menu. Some of these are wrong (on my computer) and I don't know (yet!)
how to correct this. (I've got a lot of rubbish on my "right click" context
menus, from programs I've uninstalled in the past. Maybe there's a freeware
program that will edit these out.)

Thanks David.

Johnie.

David Candy

Restore appears if you use Open With or Change. This is to stop programs affecting the program YOU CHOSE when opening a file.