OOPS, not again?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
First, let me say that I have some serious apologise to make.

Linux Fonts DON'T suck ... but boy, it is sure hard to get it right. :blush:

I messed up on Mandriva 2006, quite easily really when you don't know what your doing. So many people tell you to "play" around and it's not really helpful If you can't explain your problem. Some try, most ignore you. Or, as in my case, I drive them off.

Now as Mandriva is an FTP download, and can take, in my case, 2 hours + to install, I just shoved the SuSE 10 DVD back in and fired it up and it only took 30 mins.

This is the strange part ... I have not changed any hardware ... and I have tried SuSE before, same DVD ... so why is it that not only can I "see", even here at PCR, but everything is how one would expect from that other OS. :confused:

The only thing I can think of is nVidia have new drivers out, yes even for Linux, and SuSE does "update" at time of installation ... and because I have the EvalDVD (no time limit) it will ask you to agree to the EUL and install them for you.

Mandriva is a little different, you have to install those drivers yourself ... not hard, quite easy in fact, but the drivers would not install on my system ... no wonder I messed up. ;)

So, I'm back again, going around in a circle trying to remember where the little 'tweaks & peeks' are, but at least I can see what I'm doing. :D Oh, and Mandriva is on one of these 'partitions' 'cos I found the saved bookmarks and imported them. :thumb:

To anyone I may have offended or upset, tough ... err, no I mean SORRY, I do apologise. :blush:

Reaction score
Well, you did a clean install with the new suse, so it does tend to work better. The right video setup is something that is priceless. I would look at the sax2 settings it came up with and jot them down for future reference.
It could just be the new nvidia driver is a better match to your hardware, if you;re happy with it, and not a gamer, I would tend to avoid any new updates. Like any driver, sometimes the newer one is worse.

Oh, you didn;t scare me off! just been waitin on what you;re up to!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello you,

I can only assume it was the new nVidia drivers as I have been "clean installing" all along ... I have done a clean install every time. :p

Now I have Mandriva on here somewhere as well ... damned if I know where and I aint messing around too much to delete it. Yet. ;)

SuSE is the better Linux for my hardware, but I did like the ease in which Mandriva installed anything. I'm getting quite good at playing with YaST though. :thumb:

The Packman repository has been exceptionally slow, very slow, taking 45mins to download a 4MB file. :rolleyes: Took me all day yesterday to get all the goodies installed.

Must learn how to do a backup. :D

Reaction score
I have a bunch of links on backing up in linux, unfortunately, not with me as I am still travelling. When I get back I'll post some up.

simplest way tho is to tar up thewhole drive, with the proper switches, you can tar it up, and restore it to a new drive or partition, fix up a boot loader, and away you go!

Ask a Question