Mandriva 2010 released today.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Today when I turned on my pc a message popped up telling me I could update my system to the new version. I have been waiting for this version to arrive and was going to do a fresh install of the os from a dvd. However I will take this opportunity to try out the Mandriva update system and see if it works.
Here is a review done by a Czech site, ain't they quick of the blocks.

http://www.mandrivalinux.cz/obsahla-recenze-mandriva-linuxu-2010-0/

I would give you a download link for the main Mandriva site but they only have 2009 versions on offer at the moment
laughingsmiley.gif
So Microsoft won't have to worry about the competition for at least a few more hours yet :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've never upgraded linux versions before - what happens if you want to go from Mandriva 2009>2010 without a clean install, is it possible to do an in place upgrade?

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
... is it possible to do an in place upgrade?
Yes. :p

I've never done it with Mandy, but many times with Ubuntu (and other Debian based distros) - both the "net way" and using the "alternate install" CD.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/upgrade-ubuntu-9-04-jaunty-jackalope-to-ubuntu-9-10-karmic-koala-beta.html

The net upgrade feels weird the first time you do it... you're doing "your usual things" - surfing, writing, whatever, and your system is changing - upgrading - bit by bit whilst you're using it. When the upgrade is done, you get a message, saying, OK, reboot.

upgradeubuntu1.jpg

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I've never upgraded linux versions before - what happens if you want to go from Mandriva 2009>2010 without a clean install, is it possible to do an in place upgrade?

Thats what I'm on about in me first post. I got a pop up asking me if I wanted to do an upgrade there and then. I did not have time to investigate but will do so tomorow.
nod.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www2.mandriva.com/downloads/?p=linux-free

http://www2.mandriva.com/downloads/

Looks like the main Mandriva site has been revamped and is a lot easier to use, that is the bottom of the two links.
The top link takes you to the Free version download page. From there you can get either the 32 or 64 Bit versions and also a dual boot version.Been reading up some of the reviews and this 2010 version realy looks good. The last version 2009 had quite a few teething problems that a newbie might have had trouble with although once set up it worked very well for me on my pc.
If you are looking for an alternative to Windows 7 I think this 2010 will be a good alternative. I'll be doing a walkthrough in due course for anyone interested.

If you do decide to download use a torrent as it helps to save bandwidth and it cocks a snook at folk who think torrents are evil.

Enjoy.

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:

The answer is you can do an insitu upgrade.

Clicked on the box telling me that a version upgrade was available and two clicks later the upgrade was in progress. After a few minutes of watching I got bored and took time out to play a few anamie episodes of Samuri 7 all played faultlessly whilst the upgrade was proceeding.
Time for bed arrived so I left the upgrade running. On waking in the morning the upgrade was finished and I had a new sparkling version of Mandriva. Easy Peasy. :D

I have to confess the above is a slight variation on the truth. I have been playing around with Mandy a fair bit :rolleyes: and that includes trying out some kernal updates that were not in the main repositorys and other stuff. This slightly made my install a non standard one :eek: so I had to faff around a tad to get the upgrade to run smoothly. Basically this was a delete of all repository links and re-installing them. Also as my install was not quite standard :rolleyes: a few minor things are not quite 100% in the upgrade, maily missing icons and such.
nod.gif

Overall though the in situ upgrade was pain free and I can not see why on a standard install this would not work just fine.

As I have a slightly messed up os now :blush: I'm going to take the oportunity to do a fresh install and will post in a fresh thread.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question