Mandriva Free 2009 64 Bit

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Anything at all with a bit of Mandriva Free 2009 64 Bit

The latest version of Mandy is out and can be obtained via Bit Torrent here at the official site.

http://torrent.mandriva.com/public/

As soon as I have downloaded it I will be posting new walkthroughs. As before feel free to add your input. Please bear in mind that I am trying to make these walkthroughs as easy to follow for newbies. So Step by step instructions please if you do post.
nod.gif

This looks to be the most user friendly edition of this fine OS. Also as it uses all the capabilities of your expensive 64 Bit CPU it is probably the best value for money OS out there on the internet. :thumb:

Here is a link to the 2008 walkthroughs as I am sure that some of the information will still be relevant.

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3522034.php

Have fun and enjoy.

happywave.gif

This thread is going in all sorts of directions. Enjoy the experience. :p
laughingsmiley.gif

Penguins forever.

:D

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
History

The first release was based on Red Hat Linux (version 5.1) and KDE (version 1.0) in July 1998. It has since diverged from Red Hat and has included a number of original tools mostly to ease system configuration. Mandriva Linux was originated by Gaël Duval, and intended to focus on ease of use for new users.[1] Duval was also a co-founder of Mandrakesoft, but was laid off from the company in 2006.

Red Hat Linux, assembled by the company Red Hat, was a popular operating system until its discontinuation in 2004.[1]

Red Hat Linux 1.0 was released on November 3, 1994. It was originally called "Red Hat Commercial Linux"[2] It is the first Linux distribution to use the packaging system, the RPM Package Manager as its packaging format, and over time has served as the starting point for several other distributions, such as Mandriva Linux and Yellow Dog Linux.

Since 2003, Red Hat has discontinued the Red Hat Linux line in favor of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for enterprise environments. Fedora, developed by the community-supported Fedora Project and sponsored by Red Hat, is the free version best suited for the home environment. Red Hat Linux 9, the final release, hit its official end-of-life on 2004-04-30, although updates were published for it through 2006 by the Fedora Legacy project until that shut down in early 2007.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I can remember in 97 or 98, trying to install an early version of Red hat, it was on a giveaway CD with a Linux Magazine.

I never did manage it and in fact I messed up the hard drive so bad I had to get some partitioning/formatting software to make it usable again.

Ten years later and I'm still really no closer :(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Give Mandy 9 a go. If it is better than Mandy 8 then it will be a doddle to install. Use all of that 64 bit power you have. I like XP and penguins both for different reasons. The penguins have the edge because of their view of the world though.

Penguins, pleasantly pleasing.

Reaction score
I am glad it is redhat might just give it a go.
I find debian commands a bit weirrrrrrd

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
psd99 said:
I am glad it is redhat might just give it a go.
I find debian commands a bit weirrrrrrd

The sad :p news is that there are less and less things you'll HAVE TO do per cpmmand line. A GUI penguin, c'est moi.

Also: No matter if the distro you're using is Debian or RPM based, MOST of the commands are the same... package management being one exception.

Install a package "xyz" in Mandriva:

To become root :
Code:
su

then type your password (that won't appear as you type it).

Then
Code:
urpmi xyz

In Debian:
To become root :
Code:
su

then type your password (that won't appear as you type it).

Then
Code:
apt-get install xyz

But - once again - you can do this "the GUI way" just as well.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Give Mandy 9 a go. If it is better than Mandy 8 then it will be a doddle to install. Use all of that 64 bit power you have. I like XP and penguins both for different reasons. The penguins have the edge because of their view of the world though.

Penguins, pleasantly pleasing.

I'm afraid the machine I use for messing about with Distros isn't 64 Bit. It's a system based around a socket A XP3200 2.2Ghz CPU.

When I manage to get enough money to buy an LCD TV and a PS3 console, I'll very likely ditch Win XP and use Linux on main machine # 2 though, so watch this space.

The main things I'm worried about having in Linux is equivalent software to Pinnacle Studio 9 (Video editing software); DVD Shrink; DVD Decrypter and DVD Fab, all of which is decoding Software.

I'll also want to use:

Open Office
Gimp
Firefox
An e-mail client
Spam blocker similar to Mailwasher
Audio editing & recording software
Burning software
Audio & Video playback
mp3/WAV/cda converter
FTP Client, similar to FTP_WS
Pdf file reader/editor

I'm assuming I won't be able to use my mobile phone or i-Pod with Linux, correct me if I'm wrong.

I also have an mpeg decoder that converts DVD films to DivX and software for changing file formats, such as m4a files to mp3.

That's what the machine I'm considering converting to Linux does at the moment, and also a few games, I play CoD1 online on it, for instance.

It's 64 Bit and has a Linksys wireless network card.

Now, if a Linux Distro can cope with that lot, I'm willing to give it a go but I don't really want to lose any of those functions.

Any suggestions/links for suitable software, open source or paid for, would be apreciated.

Linux is fine and free but I don't think there's such a thing as the perfect pnguin just yet.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'm afraid the machine I use for messing about with Distros isn't 64 Bit. It's a system based around a socket A XP3200 2.2Ghz CPU.
No Problem; just download/burn/install a 32 Bit version.

The main things I'm worried about having in Linux is equivalent software to...
Take a quick first look here (the below list hasn't been updated since Nov 2007, but it's useful nevertheless):
http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

Also: there are "multimedia geared" versions of various distros, for example:
http://ubuntustudio.org/home

17591009az1.png

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Open Office
Gimp
Firefox
An e-mail client
Spam blocker similar to Mailwasher
Audio editing & recording software
Burning software
Audio & Video playback
mp3/WAV/cda converter
FTP Client, similar to FTP_WS
Pdf file reader/editor

You get all these with Mandriva Free 9.
Top three.
I don't really know what an e-mail client is. You could use Thunderbird with Googlemail that should stop a lot of spam.
Amorak for audio playback
Kaffeine or M-Player for vid playback
K3b for burning discs
Kino I think this was what I used for an .avi to convert and burn to dvd.Or it could have been DEVEDE.
There is a audio converter just can not rmember its name.
Should have no problems with the Linskys card, mine worked fine.
I belive all the other stuff in your list will have programs on board.

Not sure about the Pinnacle Studio though. Just had a loo at the Wine site and it does not seem to work well.

DVD Shrink and DVD Fab seem to work well with Wine.

Here is a link to the Wine Applications that work list,

http://appdb.winehq.org/

Here is a list of what is included on Mandy 32 bit, I belive there are some small differencs in the 64 bit version.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/uploads/2/2f/Mandriva-linux-free-2009-dvd-i586.idx

P P pick up a penguin.

happywave.gif

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I looked at some of the TEST CLIPS on the Cinerella page and the ones from Oslo were pretty neat.
happywave.gif

Meanwhile back to the Mandriva Thread.

:p

Penguins they come in many shapes and sizes.

laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas, excellent links there Urmas :thumb:

I'm starting to get keen on this idea, I'll experiment with 32 bit versions first.

Thing is, I just know there will be problems, hurdles, mistakes, frustration and things that just don't work or I don't know how to do.

I'm one of those who if I can't get the hang of a piece of software without looking at instructions, I usually discard it.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'm one of those who if I can't get the hang of a piece of software without looking at instructions, I usually discard it.

Its called been a bloke Flopps..Its a known fact men will try do something without reading the instructions...The give up and get somebody else to do it...:lol:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Thing is, I just know there will be problems, hurdles, mistakes, frustration and things that just don't work or I don't know how to do..

Uh... that's what forums are there for... right?

laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Give that Mandy 9 64 bit a go it really is easy to set up and use . If I could do it you will have no probs.

nod.gif

Penguins

Penguins

Penguins

Penguins

Penguins

Penguins

ROCK

laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Give that Mandy 9 64 bit a go it really is easy to set up and use . If I could do it you will have no probs.

nod.gif

Penguins

Penguins

Penguins

Penguins

Penguins

Penguins

ROCK

laughingsmiley.gif

*sigh*

You're not listening are you? Did you read my posts?

No? Ok, I'll spell it out.

I can experiment on a system THAT IS NOT 64 BIT as much as I like, no probs about messing up, I have five different swappable hard disks.

I also said that WHEN I CAN AFFORD AN LCD TV AND PS3 I'll ditch Windows on machine # 2 and seriously try to use a Linux Distro as an alternative.

I liked PC Linux OS 2007 a lot. The new Gnome version just won't start, it's problematic.

Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu) is working well, it recognises my Linksys network card anyway.

I am wary of people who over-promote Linux as there's room for OS's for everybody and Linux will not suit everybody.

It's also full of restrictions, problems and despite the huge increase in Linux user-friendly GUI based systems, it still is awkward when it comes to configuring and loading apps and updates.

But, hey, I'm up for it, just give me time.

In the meantime I'll try Mandrake 2009 whatever it's called on my 32 bit machine.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Helllllloooooooo

My first taste of Linux was Mandriva free Spring 2008 following Abarbarians last thread, was informative, easy to follow, just a shame Mandriva wasn't as easy, set it up fine, but couldn't get used to it or get wireless to work.

After sticking a cheapo media center in the bedroom i didn't want to pay another £65 for vista so i googled the easiest most user friendly and compatable linux and it cam back with Ubuntu.

Must say Ubuntu works fine on a media center, boots in seconds and plays my films fine on VLC. Good for just checking the weather or news whilst getting ready as well.

Is good as its free but i'm afraid when it comes to my actual PC Old Mr Gates is gonna get my cash everytime, looking forward to a new shiny version of Vista, aka Windows 7.

Anywho, keep up the good work Abarbarian, i found the last guide really helpful and really useful.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Here goes Barbara Ann's... er, nope, Abarbarian's "Installing Mandriva" thread... oh, well, c'est la vie.
happywave.gif

DISCLAIMER: I've been using Linux (Ubuntu, mostly) - and Linux ONLY - since December 2005. So... "Objective" isn't my middle name. It's "Dork".

sparkledesignubuntux767nu1.png

@Sir Flops:
I can experiment on a system THAT IS NOT 64 BIT as much as I like, no probs about messing up,
No problem here. Actually... if Mandriva's your poison, there is a Live/Install version called "Mandriva One" - it contains all [proprietary] drivers and common plugins - which is available for 32 BIT only. Download linky: http://www.mandriva.com/en/download .

I liked PC Linux OS 2007 a lot. The new Gnome version just won't start, it's problematic.
Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu) is working well, it recognises my Linksys network card anyway.
My opinions - bestest with a grain of salt:
PCLos is a "Mandriva derivative" geared for ease of use. The idea is great. But... during the last couple of years, Mandriva has improved vastly, and PCLos - one man's show, essentially - hasn't been able to keep up with the speed.
Mint has fared better... the way things are now, I can recommend it.

I am wary of people who over-promote Linux as there's room for OS's for everybody and Linux will not suit everybody.
How true. Now if only Steve Ballmer would live by that credo with his distro. :p

Actually - and sorry if you've read this one before - there is a very good article about this... a bit dated, but never mind that now:
If I were to generalize, I’d say most Linux users fall into one of these three categories: absolute novice, ex-Windows power user, *nix expert. I’m atypical in that in terms of my abilities and drive, I’m an ex-Windows power user, but in terms of my needs, I’m more like an absolute novice.

The Absolute Novice
Absolute novices become Linux users because they have a friend or relative who is obsessed with Linux and on whom the novice relies for all tech support. What happens is the novice has seemingly endless Windows problems (crashes, spyware, adware, viruses, slowdowns) and every time she encounters those problems, she calls her Linux-using friend or relative. Eventually, the Linux user says, “Look, I’m tired of supporting you on Windows. I’ll set up Linux for you.” After she installs and sets up Linux, she tells the novice, “Here is your web browser—this icon. Here is your email program—this icon. This is how you shut down you computer.” There is a little resistance at first: “Where’s the Start Menu?” “It’s right here.” “But it doesn’t say Start on it.” “That’s okay. I can change the icon for you.” After a while, the novice has no more computer problems and everyone’s happy.

The ex-Windows Power User
She knows Windows inside and out. She can edit a few things in the registry. She defragments. She does disk scans. She knows all the free but good anti-virus, anti-spyware scanning tools. She has a list of about ten or twelve programs she uses and loves to use in Windows. She also gets called to solve her friends’ and relatives’ Windows problems. Something happens one day, though—she’s tired of all the maintenance she has to do on her Windows computer, she’s tired of her Linux-using friends always talking about how great Linux is, or she just wants to try something new. So she installs Linux. Very likely, she will encounter problems. Either her wireless card won’t work, or the CD burning program doesn’t do absolutely everything that Nero does, or the Linux fonts “look ugly” to her. Then, there are two ways she can go. She either throws her hands up and screams (virtually or actually), “I can’t take it any more. This OS sucks. I’m going back to Windows. Linux is not ready for the desktop” or she rolls up her sleeves and says, “I’m going to make this work. This is fun figuring this out.”

The *nix Expert
This person has a lot of experience using Unix, Linux, BSD, or some combination of the three. She probably programs or does some kind of system administration for a living, and she uses Linux on her desktop at home because she thinks it’s fun, and it’s a natural extension of having to use Linux at work for administering servers. She probably doesn’t think most users should be using Linux, as she has a lot of training on computers and thinks that ordinary folks wouldn’t be able to handle installing and configuring Linux themselves.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/the-linux-desktop-myth/

Psychocat aka A.Y. Siu is an ex-Ubuntu Forums Admin. Here's a brand-new article:
And to those disgruntled migrants who think they have great suggestions for how to make Linux accessible for the masses, know that the Linux developers are all working as hard as they can to make good software, and recognize that good software alone won’t bring Linux to the masses. There are market forces at work. In the computer industries, money talks. If you want to do Linux for the masses some good, buy Linux preinstalled. I believe in choice. I will celebrate the day when Windows users can actually choose Windows instead of just being stuck with it. I will celebrate when you can go into Best Buy and see Linux preinstalled computers there to try out, and the sales staff will be able to talk intelligently about the differences between Windows and Linux. I will celebrate Dell recommending something on its website other than the latest version of Windows. I will celebrate TV advertisements explaining the advantages of using Linux. I don’t want all the masses using Linux. I just want them to be able to buy a Linux computer and use it right away without having to worry about hardware compatibility and burning .iso files correctly.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/linux-for-the-masses-narratives/

It's also full of restrictions, problems and despite the huge increase in Linux user-friendly GUI based systems, it still is awkward when it comes to configuring and loading apps and updates.
99.5% of the "restrictions and problems" - according to a fresh study by an independent Martian research institute :D - have to do with unsupported hardware and the fact that not all programs have versions for Linux (or Mac). If you happen to own a "prices from" Lexmark printer... too bad. Photoshop for Linux? Naah... in your dreams.

But "it still is awkward when it comes to configuring and loading apps and updates."? I'm going to - respectfully as always, mind you - disagree. Goes like this
:
The vast majority of software available is in repositories. If you want to install a program, open the package manager, select the program you want to install , install it ... done. Whenever the update manager - set up to run daily by default - finds updated versions of programs/OS/bits and pieces, it'll let you know.

What if - even when you have all the "usual" repositories enabled - the program you want isn't available? THEN - and only then - you do things "the Windows way": you hunt down a package (a rpm package for Mandriva, a .deb package for Ubuntu). You download it, double click on it to install. If the package you're installing requires odd bits and pieces (aka dependencies) in order to work, the package installer searches for them in repositories, and installs them first. Automagically.

soapboxar4.jpg

laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question