Mandriva Free 2009 64 Bit

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I agree with 99% of what Urmas said above.

Now play nicely folks and remember DO NOT HIJACK MY NEXT MANDRIVA THREAD or there will be no tea and buns for anyone.

Penguins always look cool in green.

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
A man walks down the beach dressed in swimming trunks with a peguin strapped to his back. Just as he is about to jump in the sea a woman asks him, why he had a penguin strapped to his back. Cos it scares the sharks away the man replied. I don't see no sharks around here says the woman. See its working already said the man as he swam off.

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Penguins provide protection. :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the 64 Bit DVD version of Mandriva 2009?

I tried a torrent d/l but it was going to take 12 hours.

I can d/l 4.2Gb in a lot less time than that.

I can only find a CD version available at the Mandriva site, 702Mb, and it doesn't say which version either, 32 or 64 bit.

I am now in a position to try this with a 64 bit system.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Flops use the link in me first post and this is the torrent link on that page,

mandriva-linux-free-2009-dvd-x86_64.torrent 09-Oct-2008 11:41 345K

The link above works, I just tried it so ignore me first sentence. Think the snow has affected me pc cos nowts going right today . He he.

I can send you a copy of the dvd if you want. Took me about two days to get it as me connection is slow.

happywave.gif

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Flops use the link in me first post and this is the torrent link on that page,

mandriva-linux-free-2009-dvd-x86_64.torrent 09-Oct-2008 11:41 345K

The link above works, I just tried it so ignore me first sentence. Think the snow has affected me pc cos nowts going right today . He he.

I can send you a copy of the dvd if you want. Took me about two days to get it as me connection is slow.

happywave.gif

I did try the link in your first post.

I'm using Azureus as my torrent client and it tells me it's a twelve hour download. That will use up a fair chunk of my monthly bandwidth allowance.

If I could find a link just to do a straight download, that would be fine, but I can't seem to find a link.

If it's no bother, I'd really apeciate a copy of the DVD, thank you.

I scrapped my machine number 4, the socket A machine, if I want to play old Win 98 games I suppose I can use VM Ware.

I then bought three SATA II caddies - These ones, nice and cheap - and a couple of 160Gb hard disks from E-Buyer.

So I now have Win XP running on a 250Gb disk and a pair of swappable caddies with 160Gb disks in to mess about with Linux Distros.

I have Linux Mint V5.0 with KDE running ok, except it won't play DVD's. I've downloaded the libdvdcss file and will shortly attempt to untar and install it.

Other than that, it's great so far, wireless Linksys card working ok to get me online, audio fine, plays video, mp3 & WAV files and Open Office is opening MS Word 2003 documents. And my HP Photosmart 7960 Printer works ok with it as well, though I had to use the 7550 drivers supplied with the distro.

Whilst waiting for Mint 6 and Suse 11 to be finalised, I thought I'd try Mandriva.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, no bother, sorted, downloading now.

It tells me it's going to take 1hr 50mins.

Thanks Urmas :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Good old urmas saved the day. I never found that link. Good job cos I only made it to the end of the farm track in the snow. Kept on slipping and sliding on the hill. Could be marooned here snowbound for weeks.

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well. I got it, but I got the wrong one, I downloaded the 32 bit version :wall:

Which failed the md5 check anyway, so that was a complete waste of time.

Damn, was looking forward to that.

Gonna play some CoD_5 online now so the next attempt at getting 64 bit can wait.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Well. I got it, but I got the wrong one, I downloaded the 32 bit version :wall:

Which failed the md5 check anyway, so that was a complete waste of time.

Damn, was looking forward to that.

Gonna play some CoD_5 online now so the next attempt at getting 64 bit can wait.

Should have gone to specsavers
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Can put one in the post tomorow no probs if you like.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Should have gone to specsavers
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Can put one in the post tomorow no probs if you like.

happywave.gif

Very nice of you but let me give it another try. I'll probably d/l it first thing in the morning cos I got a whole heap of stuff to do then that will take a few hours.

With Linux Mint V5 32 Bit KDE at the moment, I'm having trouble installing libdvdcss-1.2.9 so I can play DVD's and also can't seem to install the Nvidia drivers, to do that I have to shut down X and all the commands I've tried are failing to do so.

Any ideas?

I'm using Firefox in the Mint Distro atm btw, apart from those two niggles so far, I'm enjoying this.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
This might be relevant,

Note that in KDE, one should use "kdesu" instead of "gksu" when launching programs that run in the GUI (e.g., kate & kwrite),[1] and then close the program once root access is no longer needed. [2]

This will be usefull later,

http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Make_nvidia-settings_sticky

This might have the info you need,

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13914

For the dvd prob,

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9658&p=62384&hilit=totem+and+libdvdcss#p62384

or, Part 4/5 of this,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

I have only had the briefest of looks at Mint as I seem to be all at sea this year and am behind with everything. The linux I have played with have been great fun though I have lost a bit of hair and the rest has turned white.

laughingsmiley.gif

Inside a christmas cracker I pulle dat dinner the other day.

Why do elephants hate penguins.

They find it difficult to unwrap them.

laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I downloaded Mandriva 2009 64 bit and the md5 sum verification failed.

I also noticed that my bit torrent download had completed (I thought I had cancelled it) and md5 sum verification failed on that as well, as did the sha1 verification.

The only thing I can think of is that the download has come over a wireless connection, it does go a bit flakey sometimes.

I'm going to give it one last try on my main machine which is hard wired via ethernet to my router/modem then give up :mad:

I haven't tried any further with Mint yet, will have a go this evening probably.

And on a side note, in September I d/l PC Linux OS 2008 Gnome and md5 sum checked out ok.

It runs fine as a live disk but won't install.

I make paritions on hard disk, log in and out, select format partition then - nothing. It doesn't hang or anything, but bugger-all happens.

It's done that on two different machines so far.

The only distros I've never had problems with are PC Linux OS 2007 and Suse 10, although Suse took a lot of configuring.

Linux is far from the smooth operation it's touted as, as you can all see ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mint is based on Ubuntu and the problems I'm having, looking at other people's experiences, seem unique to me :mad:

I really liked the feel of PC linux OS 2008 Gnome, wonder why it won't install?

Ok, I've gone back to Urmas' link for Mandriva 2009 64 bit and the download file it's offering is only 316Mb. This is on my main machine, the one in my sig. It should, of course, be 4.2Gb.

There's definitely something screwy going on here, I give up.

Reaction score
I downloaded this but it wouldn't install on my vm so I gave it up.

I still like Fedora and red hat for the user friendly type commands!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I got the 2009 Free Mandriva 64 it downloaded ok but I ain't been in a position to try it out. Will hopefully try this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

:)

Ask a Question